The Aussie Thread

SAS123

I'm from Melbourne, however I'm thinking of moving to England in a few years, because:

1: Australian internet is horrible,

2: Australia is way too hot,

3: There is no snow,

4: The internet is slow,

5: The internet is less than a megabyte a second,

17 minutes ago, CAKE99 said:

I'm from Melbourne, however I'm thinking of moving to England in a few years, because:

1: Australian internet is horrible,

2: Australia is way too hot,

3: There is no snow,

4: The internet is slow,

5: The internet is less than a megabyte a second,

Brisbane:

1. Good internet if you have money

2. Hot in summer, frozen in winter, but not ice frozen

3. Same

4. Internet is slow

5. The Internet is about 600kb/s.

Just now, RA3236 said:

Brisbane:

1. Good internet if you have money

2. Hot in summer, frozen in winter, but not ice frozen

3. Same

4. Internet is slow

5. The Internet is about 600kb/s.

The internet for me is about 800kb/s, enough for 1280 by 720 YouTube watching, but not enough for uploading, online games are fast enough,

The only reason why the internet is crap is because of telstra. I have iinet which i like but my average speed is 250 kb/s (Somewhat Stable) but it randomly cuts out.

Another aussie reporting in.

A few days ago I was looking at WiFi cards. It wasn't do hard to work out the best choice when the lowest one easily matched the highest speeds to be expected in this country. 

But is ok here, apart from *political stuff that's not to be discussed on this forum*

But plenty of other places have it worse because *more political stuff *

Booooo HISSSSS!!!! Down with Aussies!!!! :):):):)

Hey, you lot think you're the bees knees... but we are the Rugby World Champs.... sucks to be Aussie. :):):)

All kidding aside. the ANZAC spirit lives on. Not Aussie.... not really Kiwi... actually born in the Netherlands... but been here since I was very young, 56 next month...

So anyhow.... New Zealand rocks, and Aussie is.... well.... I won't ignore you or bad mouth you... be we are still the Champs.

ANZAC's for ever! :)

27 minutes ago, Chezburgar7300 said:

Gold Coast over here, soon moving to Brissy. Loving this cold weather at the moment 
For the first time ever, I have good internet here (2mb/s downloads on Steam). 

Well I don't really think the weather is lovely, but it is certainly cold, especially at night.

Oh no..... sorry to rub it in, guys, but I have VDSL .... 20mbits down... not good as fibre, which is coming, but its better than ADSL2 :)

I know I'm only a hated Kiwi, but I can get SKYPE up and running if anyone wants to talk all things KSP.

Typing only, mind you.... I don't think I could stand to hear you guys say "feesh and cheeps" and Seedney"....

and you wont want to hear me say "Fush und chups" and "Orcland"

:)

Being from Philadelphia, you guy's internet seems to be way faster then mine. 2 m/bs? I get 1 where I am.

Or it may be the fact that I live in a city with 1.553 million people, but I doubt that's the case.

megaBYTES per second or megaBITS per second? Remember they're two very (slightly) different things, so make sure you know which one you're using before letting us drown in jealousy. For the record @kiwi1960, 20 megabits per second is around 2.5 megabytes per second. Still faster than most of Australia, but not leaving us in the dirt xD

Meanwhile, another Aussie here suffering from the clutches of 100 kilobytes per second internet... and 30% packet loss. Such is life. Such is Telstra.

18 hours ago, ToTheMun said:

megaBYTES per second or megaBITS per second? Remember they're two very (slightly) different things, so make sure you know which one you're using before letting us drown in jealousy. For the record @kiwi1960, 20 megabits per second is around 2.5 megabytes per second. Still faster than most of Australia, but not leaving us in the dirt xD

Meanwhile, another Aussie here suffering from the clutches of 100 kilobytes per second internet... and 30% packet loss. Such is life. Such is Telstra.

sorry..... I'm going to really be hated now. 10.47 Mbps ... just tested, and its that low because my son is downloading, my wife is watching youtube and my boarder is... well... streaming a movie from some unknown site... and me? Just rearranged my man-cave so haven't been on the computer much at all today.

8 hours ago, stibbons said:

but the area seems to be doing it pretty tough. :( 

That sounds about right for Sunnyvale, but actually, it wasn't a documentary. It was a satire called  "Housos". Pretty funny but raunchy. Certainly NSFW/NSFK

Edited by StrandedonEarth

While not an Aussie, the US southwest climate and geography seem to be similar to the interior.

Some of my friends have been Australian but I haven't yet had the opportunity of traveling there.

Here are a few movies which you may appreciate more than most folk.  And no, Crocodile Dundee and Kangaroo Jack didn't make the list.  :)

The Nugget

Breaker Morant

Living in the good parts of Wollongong with fast fttp NBN. I get a nice 92mbits/s down :P

1: Good fast internet although ping to USA is limited by the speed of light.

2: Generally very mild here though it is very windy today.

3: No snow here, but there is in the snowy mountains.

On 30 June 2016 at 7:55 PM, Chezburgar7300 said:

Gold Coast over here, soon moving to Brissy. Loving this cold weather at the moment 
For the first time ever, I have good internet here (2mb/s downloads on Steam). 

2mb/s download? Get out. 400kb/s is average for me, 0.8 mb/s is good and I've have 2kb/s downloads before. 200 ping on WT is my lowest and I envy all of you who have >100 ping.

:)

Edited by Bev7787

On 7/14/2016 at 5:48 AM, Falcon Coupe said:

I was feeling cold today at work, goosebumps, wishing I had my one and only jumper with me, turns out it was a freezing 21C...

You ought to see where I live during winter...just take the inverse of that number...of course it's warmer inside but still...and you're in winter, too, aren't you! 21° C in winter! That's really comfortable! I can't imagine your summer temps. I'd probably have to dig a burrow underground and come out to get food and water only at night if I had to live through that.

Wheee! An aussie thread!

Lets see, grew up in perth, nice maritime culture if you like working and playing with the ocean

spent 4 years in darwin, drove through a cyclone, saw crocodiles, raised about 400 tree frogs in wading pool turned pond, did my gardening with a machete, complained it was too far away if it meant more than 15 minutes in the car.

5 years in melbourne, mostly down on the peninsula. great lifestyle, beautiful place.

about 6 months in townsville, its small like darwin, expensive like perth.

stayed about a month in nsw, now settled in adelaide. Its nice here.

Never had adls 2 for very long, as speed tests at each location showed that i may as well get adsl and pay less for the same speed. If i need to internet in a hurry, i use my 4g mobile.

If i need to go interstate, i usualy drive. Got around 400,000 interstate km racked up so far. I like the isolation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.