What was your longest burn?

Ultimate Steve

Real time, about an hour. I couldn't use high physics warp as the ship had tendecy to implode. It was a ship similar to this:

Spoiler

vkXwv19.png

You also had to undock/redock the ship after emptying the whole section and manually correct it every few minutes because MJ would wobble it to death. Good old times of prehistoric KSP.

Edited by theend3r

My longest burn was a circulaization burn for keosynchronous SIGINT sat that had a TWR of 0.14, and The burn time was about 4 minutes, but that wasn't an ion, that was chemical. Luckily I had MechJeb installed.

Let's just say I am slightly more in favor of realism.

Edited by Mrsupersonic8

20hr.

Luckily my computer is powerful enough to run multiple instances of KSP at once.

That was for my super low orbit solar observer.  

I tries using the same craft to do the xkcd olberth kepler, but tylo ate it...

25 minutes or so to circularize a class e below muns orbit. And i had to watch all the time cause the cartload wasn't centered exactly. Won't do it again.

I'm curious: how do you do hourlong burns without infinite fuel cheat ?

1 hour ago, Green Baron said:

I'm curious: how do you do hourlong burns without infinite fuel cheat ?

Ions usually, but you can do it with most of the smaller engines if you give them enough fuel. Some examples of combinations that give over an hour of burn time: Ant+FL-T800, Spark+Jumbo-64, Terrier+2xJumbo-64, Nerv+longest Mk3 liquid fuel tank. ISRU-equipped asteroid tugs are another way to get long burn times now.

4.5 hours with an ion engine spent trying to salvage a failed Moho capture.   It worked, but I had to match orbits with Moho and wait for it to catch up, lesson learned; pay attention to your launch windows more closely.   :wink:

3 hours ago, cantab said:

Ions usually, but you can do it with most of the smaller engines if you give them enough fuel. Some examples of combinations that give over an hour of burn time: Ant+FL-T800, Spark+Jumbo-64, Terrier+2xJumbo-64, Nerv+longest Mk3 liquid fuel tank. ISRU-equipped asteroid tugs are another way to get long burn times now.

Yes. That was a silly question of mine. There were ions, i now recall :-) And it just never came to me to combine ants/sparks with a large tank. And asteroids were just decoration of the Kerbin-system. Or Dres.

I'm probably just too ... conservative :-)

The longest I can recall was a couple 13 minutes in-game time, but 45 minutes real time burns during Jool 5 since the game was running at low FPS and I didn't want to risk kaploding my vessel with physics warp.
 This is what I get for designing vessels with hundreds of parts, asparagus-ed to hell and back, running on LV-Ns

Some excess of a day .  Had a pretty heavy payload with oodles of fuel(5days+) but only one ion.  I was transferring to an outer planet by just breaking orbit from kerbin and brute forcing myself to another planet.  Set up the burn with MJ, game running just about real time, physics warp 4x, go to sleep, wake up and it's finishing it still has about a hundred DV.  I still had to make another correction burn, but since it was so far away, it was relatively easy and quick.

Only about 40 minutes with the LV-N. I probably didn't even get where I wanted to go.

These days I prefer to work with conventional thrusters, and the larger nuclear engines from Kerbal Atomics. My first large interplanetary ship will burn all her hydrogen in under 12 minutes with a TWR of around 0.7, which is handy.

Edited by Guest

I don't understand how all these ridiculously long burns are possible, how can you have a burn that's longer than the orbital period? Don't you just end up going in a big spiral (if you point prograde) or reentering the atmosphere? On tiny stock Kerbin, even an 8 minute burn starts to push you into the atmosphere unless you break it up into multiple peri kicks...

On 28/6/2016 at 11:14 PM, johnsonwax said:

I've been doing 24-32 hour long burns the last few nights, trying to move a 4.5 million ton class E asteroid into a aerobrake orbit using an entirely too small tug with 4xLV-N engines. 

Set up the attitude with MechJeb, tune the fuel rate to the ISRU rate so it doesn't run out, physics warp 4, and go to bed. It's working - changed inclination 20 degrees and periapsis by 50km. At that rate I should have no problem pulling it into the desired orbit while only consuming about 0.05% of the recoverable resources from the asteroid - though it'd take an additional 16 days of continuous burning.

And with that demonstrated tonight I'll hyperwarp it into the desired aerobrake orbit so I can get on with things. The final post-aerobrake maneuver should only take about 4 hours (1 hour warped). 

That reminds me of the time I moved my first class E... fixing the inclination after I found out asteroids do indeed lift to one preferred side was a multi-week process, one hour-long burn a day.

wQ7ZknA.png

Rune. It was something like 30 separate burns at the ascending node, to get rid of the inclination that I got in the single aerobrake pass.

Something like 20 minutes using ion engines in RSS to get to jupiter. Basically I resorted to cfg file editing to increase the thrust by about 100x (just to speed things up) and it still took an incredibly long time. Keep in mind that RSS ion engines have their thrust nerfed to basically nothing, while their ISP becomes absolutely insane.

On July 4, 2016 at 0:50 PM, the_Demongod said:

I don't understand how all these ridiculously long burns are possible, how can you have a burn that's longer than the orbital period? Don't you just end up going in a big spiral (if you point prograde) or reentering the atmosphere? On tiny stock Kerbin, even an 8 minute burn starts to push you into the atmosphere unless you break it up into multiple peri kicks...

If you are doing asteroid captures, with good planning you'll intercept it near Kerbin SOI which will have an orbital period of about 20 days, and if you are trying to raise its periapsis, your job is to increase that orbital period so you may be buying orbital time faster than it takes to make it. Even with my horrific mass mismatch, I was able to increase orbital period by more than a minute per minute. If you are doing a slow burn to Eeloo, you're probably looking at a 3 year transit time, so plenty of time for long burns. 

Tried to make a DAWN spacecraft analogue and use a single ion engine to perform orbital insertion around Dres. Took me a little more than 3 hours, because I was taking a little more baggage than needed. Long story short, I'm never using ion engines again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.