Share your Most Colossal Ship/Plane!

My largest to date is the Jaekelopterous 3 superlifter, I probably won't build this big again:

j3.jpg

Six FULL orange tanks and change to LKO with 249 partsand zero mods.

Original thread:  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/52769-jaekelopterus-heavy-lifter/

Part file is there if you want it, but is going to be mundo outdated by now and may no longer work.

Edited by Corona688

Probably the biggest thing I've launched was the Eve Party Boat (4 man Eve return vehicle in 0.90).

Nb12rVl.jpg

Here it is in Kerbin orbit once its two transfer vehicles had been docked.

eLDLQCx.jpg

One the surface of Eve.

G4w50yF.jpg

I was using the rover to the right of the lander as a marker for my landing site and almost crushed it on landing.

Not counting launchers, I think the biggest ship I've built (or at least the biggest one I currently have a screenshot of) is probably the Voyager I:

screenshot35.png

Fun ship. The central fuselage is two long cargo bays (one holding a lab and a very compact three-person lander, the other holding a rack of seven small drop-probes bound for Eve), propelled by engines mounted on four colossal fuel pontoons. Worked pretty well... except for the game running rather slowly due to the huge number of parts.

2 minutes ago, LaytheDragon said:

What's wrong with the Mun, and Kerbin? Both just don't look right.

Better Atmospheres. Although the mod is kinda dead right now :(

I'll be honest, I don't like the look of Kerbin's atmosphere in retrospect. Scatterer is so much better

Edited by Brownhair2

The biggest ship I've launched? DysonCube Station.

At one point after docking more modules, as I planned to bring it to Vall, the space station was so large (over 2,500 parts, and many sizeable ones) that the small claws holding the modules together, plus EVA struts (from a handy mod, they require the EVA strut base to be placed for the other end to be placed/connected) on modules docked via claws, were not enough to keep the entire station rigid. Due to that, bringing the DysonCube to Vall was a complete failure, and I deleted the otherwise-empty, 1.1 pre-release save (which wasn't my main sandbox, so that sandbox wouldn't be bugged potentially)(not without saving the craft files of the DysonCube. Next time, there will be one less module, and I may launch them all connected (excluding the massive heatshield)). (The spoiler below doesn't spoil anything, it is just to reduce lag on this thread).

Spoiler

8NxzeVK.png

One of my other biggest crafts was launched earlier today. I added another booster stage to my biggest refueler (the same type seen docked to the DysonCube Station in the above screenshot), and then added a large, unconventional payload atop instead of the claw.

I am taking that truck to Tylo, by the way.

Edited by LaytheDragon

1 hour ago, Corona688 said:

That pic was the split second before the solar cells shattered, right?

Who, me? It was powered by Nervs. Sure, there were 16 of them, but that's still only 960 kN of thrust. There are much more powerful engines.

I've done my share of Big Things.

Let's start with something small that I called Jeb's Tylo Lander.

Straight-on view

And in case there are any doubts, proof that's Tylo: https://flic.kr/p/qsD8N2

OK, how about something closer to home, my Takoma Narrows Bridge. Might not be the tallest and it's certainly not the longest, but I'm guessing that's the widest rover anyone's done!

Takoma Narrows Bridge

It looks pretty cool from bridge level too: https://flic.kr/p/pAeYdV***

OK, but we need some lifters. So how about the Magellan 2, which sent a boat to Laythe. Quickly. And it's still my part count record.

Really missing my overclock

With its Near Future Technology, nuclear-electric powered, asparagus staged transfer vehicle, this was its interplanetary trajectory: https://flic.kr/p/oHBUBP

Remember that Tylo lander earlier? Well to get it out to Jool it had four propulsion units each with 12 orange tanks, docked and KAS strutted. I don't have pictures of that. But once it was assembled on orbit, it needed the JTL Refueller which remains my all time mass record.

The Refueller

Once in orbit, it had a Lot of Stuff.

The numbers

It didn't always launch correctly. When it failed, the results were ... spectacular: https://flic.kr/p/pnhbJX

I've done mass, I've done part count, I've done width. I've saved what I think is the best until last: height. I give you the Burj Kherbalifa.

Burj Kherbalifa at KSC

216 metres, or over 700 feet, tall, with accommodation for 3,500 Kerbals.

And of course I didn't just build it to sit on the VAB. I strapped some boosters to it.

The Burj's engines

A paint-scraping booster separation

I only got the Burj suborbital though, and had to cheat to make orbit. Even with cheats, the launch took two real life hours, the lag was that bad. 1.0.x was an awful release, and having put a couple of hundred Kerbals in probably didn't help either.

But now that I have 1.1.x and it runs about twice as fast, and I'm wise to the possible impact of Kerbals on lag, maybe I should break out the Burj again and upgrade its boosters.

Actually, there's one thing I've 'made' in KSP that's bigger: https://flic.kr/p/qpMRaK Look at the orbital speeds there. This is Earth at ten times its normal size. A hundred times the size of Kerbin. Just in case you thought RSS was easy.

Launched from the pad, it would be my Jool 5 mission, done in 0.95:

Assembled on orbit would be my Munar orbit station from around 0.25. I actually built it in LKO and then flew it to Munar orbit. I was very proud of myself at the time  for successfully closing the square structure.:

Edited by herbal space program

3 hours ago, Stratzenblitz75 said:

At 24,430 Tons and 1373 parts, my Duna3 mission is by far the largest thing I've launched in stock KSP. (Stock physics as well... It was a real pain to get this to work without KJR)

"KSP physics" made me LOL.

That's...  impressive in a way, but your super mini mars lander?  Imagine if you'd made that entire gigantic craft at the start, out of JUST those.  How many mars landings could you have made then?  Dozens?

http://imgur.com/a/gtqsW

9X5yICc.png

Getting my Enerstar rover to the Mun was probably the biggest thing I ever launched.  It had a lot of problems getting there, but it eventually did

Out of that monstrocity

This is what made it to the ground

xIacsBF.png

Sure perhaps it could have been done more efficiently.  I don't know.

Edited by Znath

4 hours ago, cantab said:

I've done mass, I've done part count, I've done width. I've saved what I think is the best until last: height. I give you the Burj Kherbalifa

216 metres, or over 700 feet, tall, with accommodation for 3,500 Kerbals.

And of course I didn't just build it to sit on the VAB. I strapped some boosters to it

A paint-scraping booster separation

I only got the Burj suborbital though, and had to cheat to make orbit. Even with cheats, the launch took two real life hours, the lag was that bad. 1.0.x was an awful release, and having put a couple of hundred Kerbals in probably didn't help either.

But now that I have 1.1.x and it runs about twice as fast, and I'm wise to the possible impact of Kerbals on lag, maybe I should break out the Burj again and upgrade its booster

Zomg. This makes me feel like my own vision, which I truly thought grandiose at the time, was so small in scope.

Edited by herbal space program

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.