Flight sim racing/sandbox games?

Wjolcz

I have been spending quite a lot of time in the IL-2 1946 game and I also recently started to watch the RedBull Air Race (which IMHO is pretty amazing) and it made me think: Are there any multiplayer flight sim racing games?

So the perfect one that I have imagined would be a freeroam sanbox game where you build your planes and fly with people. Basically a crossover of KSP and IL-2 with GTA elements (the ability to create races, shoot each other in the face and an open world in which you can find nice places without bothering others).

Do you guys know anything that resembles this? I know about Simple Planes, but it's in a kind of "meh" stage for now and didn't have MP the last time I played it.

I'd preferably like @SQUAD to make this as an official sequel of KSP (except with Earth-sized Kerbin, better atmosphere and procedural parts), but if there are any other developers out there reading this, I just want to let you know that I'm willing to pay money for a game like that.

Edited by Veeltch

1946 does have air-racing provided you have people to do it with in MP. The devs for it even added racing pylons for it. Other flight sims "can" do similar things to my knowledge (flying through these wierd green/red/something hoops), but they aren't the maneuverable warbird type of planes. Otherwise you are indeed looking at an FPS such as Gmod or GTA etc. but the aircraft in those are much more arcade and more of an afterthought than any other element. edit: airracing as in, you can make a course set-up and agree by email or something that you simply race. there are videos of this

As for developers, I think the main thing would be for you to start making a test scene in unity (and for a relatively easy lift model to build, I would recommend starting with this : https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/cyl.html ).

Come to think of it there is probably some sort of airracing element in one of those thousand build-it games out there now, though none that I tried were ever very concerned about flight.

Last solution is someone making a special DMP mod to support airracing still development, but easier than making a new thing from scratch

Edited by Nemrav

4 hours ago, Nemrav said:

1946 does have air-racing provided you have people to do it with in MP.

:0 I didn't know that! I only played on dogfight/missions servers so far.

Otherwise you are indeed looking at an FPS such as Gmod or GTA etc. but the aircraft in those are much more arcade and more of an afterthought than any other element.

Yeah, that's exactly my problem. The courses are easy to make, but I would also like fly with a proper flight stick.

Last solution is someone making a special DMP mod to support airracing still development, but easier than making a new thing from scratch

Would be nice if someone decided to run an RO+FAR+Races! Mod pack server. Would definitely join it and race people. Not sure if Races! works in DMP though.

• 1 year later...
On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 5:37 AM, Veeltch said:

I have been spending quite a lot of time in the IL-2 1946 game and I also recently started to watch the RedBull Air Race (which IMHO is pretty amazing) and it made me think: Are there any multiplayer flight sim racing games?

So the perfect one that I have imagined would be a freeroam sanbox game where you build your planes and fly with people. Basically a crossover of KSP and IL-2 with GTA elements (the ability to create races, shoot each other in the face and an open world in which you can find nice places without bothering others).

Do you guys know anything that resembles this? I know about Simple Planes, but it's in a kind of "meh" stage for now and didn't have MP the last time I played it.

I'd preferably like @SQUAD to make this as an official sequel of KSP (except with Earth-sized Kerbin, better atmosphere and procedural parts), but if there are any other developers out there reading this, I just want to let you know that I'm willing to pay money for a game like that.

Since someone else commented on this old thread, I'll contribute.

Most of those exist but, not really in a single package. I was using X-plane 10 for a while which is a excellent flight sim with a massive mod community.

Flightgear is fully open source and pretty good but its scenery is kinda.... dated.

On the simpler side there's one called Simple Planes that runs on Unity and lets you build KSP style. It's also available on Android and I think iOS.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.