Anybody play an instrument?

Kozak

long time no post for me,

im curious,
does anyone here play an instrument?
if so what do you play? (and do you have proof? :P )

~Kozak
Maybe i'll be active on the forums again. i dunno.

I used to play the French Horn and Mellophone, but it's been nearly a year since I even touched one, so I've probably forgotten most of what I knew, and I was never very good at it anyway.

I can't provide proof, as I played the instruments in a school band, and because they are so expensive I had to rent them, and I was obviously  required to turn them in when I left.

I played trombone in jazz band in highschool. same as pTrevTrevs though, probably forgot most of what I knew and I wasn't that great anyway. I, on the other hand, owned my own instrument so I still have it. Sort of. I live in Seattle and it's at my sister's house in Houston. $1200 (when new) Olds trombone with one trigger.

Piano, trumpet, French horn, guitar. I currently own only a trumpet (which has not been played in fifteen years) and a guitar (which has been played recently, but it would be a stretch to say it was played well).

We may be purchasing a used piano sooner rather than later for my sons to begin lessons, though. Because the $100 electric keyboard is not a piano.

3 hours ago, Tex Mechs Robot said:

I played trombone in jazz band in highschool. same as pTrevTrevs though, probably forgot most of what I knew and I wasn't that great anyway. I, on the other hand, owned my own instrument so I still have it. Sort of. I live in Seattle and it's at my sister's house in Houston. $1200 (when new) Olds trombone with one trigger.

I looked into getting my own french horn once so I wouldn't have to use the ones with crumpled bells, rust, sticky, dry valves, chipped mouthpieces, etc, but it turned out to cost something like $2000 (IIRC). That was probably one of the contributing factors to my leaving the band, along with having no time to focus on other subjects, an inability to pursue other hobbies, and some other things.

I have a trumpet and a coronet (is that how you spell it?) that belonged to my father, but they have cracked slides. If they weren't broken I could probably play them, since the fingerings for most valved brass instruments are the same, it's just the pitch that is different.

I learned the piano for about 6 years, I hated doing it because I was young and wasn't that interested but my parents mad me take the lessons. I understand now of course what they were doing but boy did I not like it. But I pushed through and you cant help but become quite competent after that many lessons.

Now though I am teaching myself to play this:

emx1.jpg

I have proof on youtube, but Im not sure I like the idea of people actually hearing it...

I hated going to piano lessons but just having learned about music and how it is made has been incredibly useful, which means that later in life when you feel inclined and become interested in one instrument or another, you can pick it up and at least know something about where to start.

So folks, if you're trying to educate your children musically and they are resisting, keep it up! But perhaps let them have a say in which instrument and what type of music. And if they still cant get behind it, there are things other than music. I hated it and got a lot of benefit from it, imagine what it would be like if they were actually enthusiastic!

Extra note:

Twice (count'em) in my life I have bought girlfriends guitars, because they were very enthusiastic about having one and getting lessons etc. So one got one for a 21st birthday and another got one for her 25th. Were either ever used? Nope. I know for a fact (since she is still around :)) that one of them still has the label attached to the strings...

Never buy an instrument as a gift.

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

Never buy an instrument as a gift.

Teach her how to play the coffee cans instead. Any musician can make music out of their instrument, but a percussionist can make music out of ANYTHING. 

1 minute ago, cubinator said:

Teach her how to play the coffee cans instead. Any musician can make music out of their instrument, but a percussionist can make music out of ANYTHING. 

lololol! Thank you for that image of my other half wailing on some coffee cans XD

On another note, I dont play the drums but I have been reliably informed that I look like I do when I dance. Thankfully this is exceedingly rare.

I've played a few, but never been very good. Piano / synth is the only one I'm vaguely competent on, but the keyboard I own is crippled by lacking touch sensitivity, I should maybe get one that has it. Guitar I tried but never got beyond basic chords and easy rhythms. And I can annoy the heck out of people with a mouth organ or a vuvuzela, does that count? :D

I used to play a little guitar, but not that well, and I haven't picked one up in a couple of years.  I can also play enough drums to put out a basic 4/4 rock beat, but I wouldn't really consider myself a real drummer.

I play guitar, bass, a bit of tin whistle and im trying to get a cornet. I also build my own instruments (im the middle of making a nice fretless bass)

Proof, im the guy with the bass 

And the cornet I want http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2016/26/1467365194-dsc-9250.jpg

I just have to convince my aunt to give it to me, right now it's collecting dust.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.