Cant land on Jool

coldrain112

Jool wasn't given a proper core, that's why it's so glitchy if you attempt to land stuff on it. I think it would be cool to have a liquid hydrogen ocean to splash down in. Don't ask me how to deal with the pressure of getting down there and the atmospheric pressure combined. I'm not your therapist.

5 hours ago, DaElite101 said:

Jool wasn't given a proper core, that's why it's so glitchy if you attempt to land stuff on it. I think it would be cool to have a liquid hydrogen ocean to splash down in. Don't ask me how to deal with the pressure of getting down there and the atmospheric pressure combined. I'm not your therapist.

Jool is indeed glitched, weirdest is not that it don't have an surface, its that it become transparent then you come deep enough. You can see its larger moons if on the other side of Jool.
Currently you explode at -500 meter I think. In the old versions, before 0.20 I think it had an surface who was very glitchy and exploded most stuff landed on it. 
You could however land on it with an kerbal, I sent Jeb down, airship to float, then KAS winch to lower him, he bounced around and I was unable to plant a flag. 

On 6/29/2016 at 8:05 PM, The Optimist said:

*cough*

Gone are the days of true Jool glitches.  Used to be, you could indeed land on it, drive rovers down there, and all that, and watch as the Kraken slowly pulled them apart.  I miss those days.  But since 1.0 at the latest, you can't do any of that anymore.  Instead, you hit an invisible surface collider with about 500m of altitude remaining.  Even knowing this is there and reaching that altitude at a safe speed doesn't save you.  It seems to be instant death on contact.

The same is true for most gas giants in planet pack mods.  The only exception I've found is Sarnus in OPM.  That one does indeed have a glitch, but it's not the old Jool type.  Instead, you go into some sort of relativistic time dilation where your ship somehow keeps falling indefinitely without ever hitting anything or running out of altitude to lose, or being able to switch to another vessel when you get tired of watching this.  Very weird and harmful to the health of your save file, so I don't recommend doing it.

I've been thinking: since Jool's atmosphere is so thick, would it perhaps be possible to create a vehicle that can infinitely float at around 0m? I am thinking about a combination of a lot of wings and parachutes...

8 hours ago, ShadowZone said:

I've been thinking: since Jool's atmosphere is so thick, would it perhaps be possible to create a vehicle that can infinitely float at around 0m? I am thinking about a combination of a lot of wings and parachutes...

Airships can do this, in the old version of Jool it was posible to lower an anchor down so you could save even exit as you was not technically flying. 
Does not work anymore, if you are lucky the anchor explodes, if unlucky the entire ship. 

Sent Jeb down to the surface and back out using an airship with rocket, a bit like the manned venus atmosphere mission idea. 

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.