[1.1.3] Contract Pack: Mission Based R&D (v 0.1)

klefenz

Download:

Download from Spacedock

Licence:

Mission Based R&D is licenced under the MIT licence

Description:

This is the successor to my old little mod. The objective is to reduce the grind on career mode. I do this by nullifying the science points and making tech nodes ulockable by completing missions.

Each node of the tech tree has a mission that unlocks it when you complete it. The missions themselves are simple, go somewhere and perform a certain experiment, the recovery method is specified in the mission. To balance this, the missions are organized in tiers (8 tiers), with each tier making you go further away from KSC and Kerbin. Some missions might be very difficult if not impossible without certain technologies (having completed other missions first), however I made sure that needed tech should be available when a mission shows up. Also it is possible to complete multiple missions in a single flight.

Since missions were designed based on tiers you should try to complete all or most of the missions of a tier before doing the next one, although missions can become available as soon as the requisite tech has been unlocked. All the missions can be cancelled with little concequence, they will appear again. They can only be done once for obvious reasons.

Unlike MBR&D1 there is no custom tech tree, so mods that add parts should be fully compatible, however any new science parts will be pretty much useless, you can still use them and read their reports if you like. Any mods that modify the tech tree are incompatible. New tech nodes will have pretty much no way of being unlocked. I might add support for CTT in the future. Maybe.

Also, due to the workings of this mod scientists are pretty much useless, as their function (boost SP output) won't work. They can still reset materials bays and such, but that is not very useful now. Also the laboratory part has lost its function of generating SP, so it's useless now as well. Finally, there are sources of SP I just couldn't remove, so you will earn SP over time, however, since all tech nodes cost 9999 SP it shouldn't be possible to unlock them.

So, if you're planning to play carrer without a modded tech tree and don't feel like grinding SP to progress you should try this mod.

Required mods:

Contract Configurator

Module Manager

Edited by klefenz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.