[Mod Request]Real World Weather

I was talking with a few people from Real Space Program and we discussed how having a mod that downloads the current real world weather and adds it to KSP like how FSX can optionally add real world weather. This would validate the Range role which is used in real life to make sure the range (Launchpad and surrounding areas) are clear of traffic and that weather is optimal. The weather is anything from storms, heavy rain, wind (a huge factor), ice (where possible), or anything else. It would work by downloading the current world weather when you hit "go to Launchpad" and slowly applies the effects as the physics loads.

Now I am aware no mod on this scale (or anywhere near it) exists as it requires adding several aspects that haven't been looked into. This is simply a request on behalf of the Real Space Program Team.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

1 hour ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hiya,  while not exactly as per your request but a step in the direction you require, may be found in the link below, while not actually importing RW weather it is striving to make realistic weather systems, and contrary to the link date it is still in active development

Considerable, but is it compatible with RSS/RO? Even then, I'd prefer full realism over all else :/ .

i second that request.

i jused to fly sailplanes in real life and would like to do so in ksp.

for that to work it would need thermics, clouds that follow real weather phenomina and so on.

my guess is that it would be a complex undertaking and mostlikely succseed with using life weather data (like ms flight sim does) on a copy of earth instead of kerbin (as weather is dependend on the geological structurs like mountains and bodys of water).

another way to do it would be to have central servers calculate a plausible weather for kerbin and a client side mod applying it to each users game (this would also eleminate different outcomes in dmp or possible future mp implementations). Using this method a central weather forecast could be made availabale deepening the rollplay asspect.

if i only would have the time to do it myself :(

The problem with sailplanes is you not only need proper weather, you need it to be affected by terrain which is a whole new thing on top. The KWS devs say they want to do it, but "in KWS 2.0". I am rather looking forward to that myself.

8 hours ago, VITAS said:

i second that request.

i jused to fly sailplanes in real life and would like to do so in ksp.

for that to work it would need thermics, clouds that follow real weather phenomina and so on.

my guess is that it would be a complex undertaking and mostlikely succseed with using life weather data (like ms flight sim does) on a copy of earth instead of kerbin (as weather is dependend on the geological structurs like mountains and bodys of water).

another way to do it would be to have central servers calculate a plausible weather for kerbin and a client side mod applying it to each users game (this would also eleminate different outcomes in dmp or possible future mp implementations). Using this method a central weather forecast could be made availabale deepening the rollplay asspect.

if i only would have the time to do it myself :(

I will help with the research aspect, I can't mod but I can get the info.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.