Asteroid Day

KasperVld

b2Dqd_HF.jpg

Asteroid Day is a global awareness campaign where people from around the world come together to learn about asteroids, the impact hazard they may pose, and what we can do to protect our planet, families, communities, and future generations from future asteroid impacts. Asteroid Day is held each year on the anniversary of the largest impact in recent history, the 1908 Tunguska event in Siberia. A relatively small asteroid, about 40 meters across or the size of a modest office building, devastated an unpopulated area about the size of a major metropolitan city. Regionally organised large and small events are held on Asteroid Day, and range from lectures and other educational programmes to live concerts and broader community events, to raise public awareness of the need for increased detection and tracking of asteroids.

One of the signatories for Asteroid Day is Scott Manley, who has done a lot of research in the topic. Kerbal Space Program is also happy to promote awareness for this event, as we believe it's important to be aware of the dangers of asteroids, and to map their orbits to help protect current and future generatrions. Find out more about asteroid day on their website.

http://asteroidday.org/

That video was great!  I can't tell you how much I love seeing Brian May introduced as Astrophysicist and Musician... 
I've been a huge fan of his, and Queen, for decades, and I'm glad he's finally being recognized as not just an amazing musician, but also a dedicated Astrophysicist as well. 

Wouldn't be amazing if he was also a KSP player????   :cool:

Edited by Just Jim

20 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

Admit that you where just waiting for the post so you could reply with that ...

Haha no, see the developer articles on the right hand side of the forum index page: the update was released and announced yesterday :)

5 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I'm curious... this mod only adds a couple new parts, and it's already an official Squad mod... why hasn't it just been added into the regular game?

It probably will be at a later date. Usually when an "official mod" is made by the same developers who make the base game, it's because they didn't really have time to edit core game files and just kind of had a couple of days to slap something together.

I'm not saying that this was the case for sure when it comes to this mod, but it's a good bet. I'm pretty sure once Squad has gone through their bug-crushing phase and starts going after new content again, they'll integrate this mod into the stock game just like they did with the NASA ARM Mission.

8 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I'm curious... this mod only adds a couple new parts, and it's already an official Squad mod... why hasn't it just been added into the regular game?

Because it also tweaks with the internals of the asteroid generation stuff and contract thingies?

As in, very minor stuff that could create a lot of "bad things (tm)" to happen in unexpected places.

Esp if it clashes with other mods.

Released as a free official mod allows it to be installed and un-installed per player wishes.

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

it was? Gamedata>Squad>Misc>AsteroidDay.

They left out the camsat which requires a custom module added by the mod which adds a plugin.

It was in the 1.1 patch notes.:)

Edited by Deimos Rast

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, orcaman said:

Does this need an update for version 1.2?

I'd be happy as a clam if they did update it for 1.2.  I like having asteroids generating in places besides Kerbin's and Dres' immediate neighborhoods.  (In prior versions where this mod has worked, I've really enjoyed parking a telescope in the outer regions of the planetary system and generating my own "Kuiper Belt" to explore.  If I had any artistic and modding skills at all, I'd do it myself with some properly icy-looking bodies.)  I saw someone try to use it in one of the prerelease versions, and according to the in-game debugger, it didn't work right.

The telescope has not been included in stock yet, nor the contracts.  I bet someone could recompile the scope part, and convert the missions to ContractConfigurator format (which also hasn't updated yet) if Squad never gets around to it

• 2 weeks later...