Wheels sliding

KSP: 1.1.3

Problem: Wheels appear to have very little lateral friction. Taking off in a plane is impossible, as the plane will start spinning to the right, transitioning in a full non-stop stationary spin, no matter the imput. This makes rovers, planes and spaceplanes impossible to use

Reproduction: Tested both vanilla and firespitter wheels. Tested with traction control set to auto, minimum and maximum, spring strenght to maximum, default and minimum. No difference

Log: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34768286/output_log.txt

Mods installed:

USI Tools - 0.7.4
AtmosphereAutopilot - 1.5.5
AutomatedScreenshots - 0.7.3
B9 Part Switch - 1.4.3
Chatterer - 0.9.90.1289
Community Resource Pack - 0.5.4
Contract Configurator - 1.13
Contract Pack: Anomaly Surveyor - 1.5
CC-CP-SCANSat - 0.6.0.1
Contract Pack: Clever Sats - 1.1.0.1
Contract Pack: Field Research - 1.1.7
Contract Pack: Giving Aircraft a Purpose - 1.2.6
Contract Pack: Bases and Stations - 3.2.2.1
Contract Pack: Sounding Rockets - 1.0.3
Rover Missions - 0.1.4
Contract Pack: Tourism Plus - 1.4.2
Contract Reward Modifier - 1.0.2.3
CryoEngines - 0.3.5
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.3.0.2
Contract Parser - 1.0.4
Contracts Window Plus - 1.0.6.4
Progress Parser - 1.0.5
Engine Lighting - 1.4.5
EVA Transfer - 1.0.4
Firespitter - 7.3
Impact - 1.4.2
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 2.0.9
RasterPropMonitor - 0.27
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.5.9
KerbalAtomics - 0.2.4
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.1
HyperEdit - 1.5.2.1
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.2.12
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.1
KWRocketryRedux - 3.0.11
Lithobrake Exploration Technologies - 0.3.5
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.1.6
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.4
NearFutureConstruction - 0.6.4
NearFutureElectrical - 0.7.5
NearFuturePropulsion - 0.7.3
NearFutureSolar - 0.6.2
NearFutureSpacecraft - 0.5.1
EVAHandrailsPackContinued - 0.2.1.1
PlanetShine - 0.2.5
RCS Sounds - 5.0
RealChute - 1.4.1.1
RealPlume - Stock - 0.10.7
AmpYear - 1.3.4
DeepFreeze Continued... - 0.22.3
SCANsat - 1.1.6.3
Spacetux - 0.3.10.1
Stock Visual Enhancements - 0.7.1
Surface Mounted Stock-Alike Lights for Self-Illumination - 1.2.4
TarsierSpaceTechnology - 6.3
ThrottleControlledAvionics - 3.2
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.7.1
Transfer Window Planner - 1.5.1
TweakScale - 2.2.13
USI Core - 0.2.4
USI Exploration Pack - 0.5.4
Karbonite - 0.7.4
Karbonite Plus - 0.6.4
Karibou - 0.2.4
Kolonization Core - 0.2.4
Konstruction - 0.1
USI-LS - 0.4.4
USI Submarine Pack - 0.1.4
UKS - 0.40.4
USI Alcubierre Drive - 0.4.4
VenStockRevamp - 1.9.2
Waypoint Manager - 2.5.3

Wheels are broken in 1.1. Bouncing, sliding, exploding and such are common when using them, even in a stock game.

I wouldn't even bother searching for a workaround and wait for a fix that will (hopefully) come before 1.2. Though if you are lucky, this is caused by a mod meaning that it would be able to be fixed before 1.2.

(Sorry for my utter non-helpfulness)

Mine slide too. I'm not yet ready to make an "official" bug report or support request, since I don't have all my log and mod ducks in a row, but I figured I'd do a "me too" in support of the OP.

The quick and dirty of it is that I've got a Mk3 shuttle made with Cormorant Aeronology parts and using the medium landing gear, and on flat, level ground it starts drifting off either side, even with the brakes on. The shuttle is usable, since it'll be taking off vertically and I will be recovering it as soon as the wheels come to a stop after landing. I only discovered it when I strapped some SRBs to it to take off on the runway for an approach and landing test. I tested the behavior again without the SRBs just to make sure it wasn't some weird effect of having the extra weight of the SRBs on the wings. 

Worth noting is that this problem wasn't present in 1.1.2. 

Here's a series of images showing the slide. Note that brakes are on. 

Mod list:

u7CAQmb.png

Edited by jonrd463

• 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid this is all my fault.   :blush:

When v1.1 came, I rolled out my rovers to check the "new" wheel physics - since by Jove I wasn't happy with the old.

Unfortunately I found the new wheel "physics" to be the old with just some new unwelcome quirks. One of the things I discovered was the absolute opposite to what you describe, extreme lateral friction, way out of the ball park, like to the moon. One of the things: You couldn't turn while driving down the runway without somersaulting violently, as the wheel dug in. Given the extremely low center of mass and the fact that a friction coefficient of rubber against tarmac actually can't go above about 1.0, this is utterly impossible. The correct behavior should be that the wheels slide slightly, in the worst case, unless you have oversteer, then you will spin.

screenshot4266jg.jpg

So just to rub SQUAD's nose in it, I made a rover to climb mountain walls, sideways, and posted this image, together with some insensitive comments.

screenshot4280jg.jpg

So the issue that we now - v1.1.3 - don't have any lateral friction and are just spinning around, could be a fix for my earlier observation/complaint?
What can I say? We're a hard lot to satisfy. Never happy.

...And another thing I've noted lately. Landing struts also seem to have a problem with lack of friction. Land a rocket on the slightest slope, and it will keep sliding for almost forever. Not so cool either. ;.;

Edited by Vermil

• 2 weeks later...

It's a bit fiddly because it's badly "packaged", but GoSlash27 has made a "mod" that fixes some (most?) of the breakage RoverDude caused:

(you just put the file in GameData/) It doesn't fix the sliding problem, but fixes most of the sloppy/useless traction behaviour.

+1 for insensitive comments, this isn't beta software anymore. You have every right to complain.

Edited by surge

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.