[1.1.3] K.R.X Kerbal Rotor Expansion 0.31.1

Eskandare

20 hours ago, kcs123 said:

You have to be carefull with FS parts, many of them were not properly updated for latest KSP version, it might work with stock physic, but there was issues with colliders and voxelization process if you use FAR and list goes on and on. Many of FS features become broken due to lack of free time for authors to maintain it properly.

Works fine for me.

On 7/10/2016 at 11:40 AM, DeepSlayLP said:

Just maybe you might want to add like back rotors in hulls like on the Eurocopter EC-155. And maybe try to talk to other people to help make more helicopter cockpits 

You mean a Fenestron Tail Rotor?   8 Blades buried into the Tail ala Gazelle?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenestron#/media/File:RTH_Christoph_Hansa_06.jpg

On 7/7/2016 at 3:08 AM, AdmiralTigerclaw said:

@Eskandare

Yeah, one of the reasons I point you at the firespitter rotor is that the rotor seems to have built in cyclic/collective management that is actual cyclic/collective, not 'simulated' with reaction wheels.

Plus the effectiveness of rotors depends on blade count and length.  Even the tail rotor seems to work.

DaChoppas_zpswmqvfq6a.jpg

I'll look into how it was managed. The code was still experimental at the time I had originally played with it. I'll see what I can do.

On 7/10/2016 at 8:40 AM, DeepSlayLP said:

Just maybe you might want to add like back rotors in hulls like on the Eurocopter EC-155. And maybe try to talk to other people to help make more helicopter cockpits 

5 hours ago, Pappystein said:

I'm working on a fenestron style tail fan compatible with the stock 1.25 tail parts and a single surface attachable fin style one too.

@Eskandare First off amazing work! the animations are super clean and I especially appreciate the fact you made a set of osprey rotors :) I've been waiting for those for quite some time. And secondly on the topic of the osprey I'll simply state my request with a picture.

v22refuel.jpg?itok=JL0kvzmL

6 hours ago, V8jester said:

@Eskandare First off amazing work! the animations are super clean and I especially appreciate the fact you made a set of osprey rotors :) I've been waiting for those for quite some time. And secondly on the topic of the osprey I'll simply state my request with a picture.

v22refuel.jpg?itok=JL0kvzmL

Emissive rotor tips? Emissives tend to be a bit akward when dealing with the transparent rotor disc. I'll see what I can do to mimic the effect.

At the moment I am reworking meshes to make the coaxial rotor better. And checking out whether if the firespitter code works well enough in 1.1.3 to have it applied to the KRX rotors.

Edited by Eskandare

12 hours ago, Eskandare said:

And checking out whether if the firespitter code works well enough in 1.1.3 to have it applied to the KRX rotors.

After that can you add realstic torque? Even if it takes a whole year, please try :(

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:40 AM, DeepSlayLP said:

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 6:31 PM, Pappystein said:

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 11:48 PM, Eskandare said:

I'm working on a fenestron style tail fan compatible with the stock 1.25 tail parts and a single surface attachable fin style one too.

Just throwing this out there. you can also (with some creative offset finesse) make a Fenestron tail. Using a KW rocketry fairing base (with no fairings) as well as procedural parts / Procedural wings, and a standard FS tail rotor. That's how I built my Fenestron tail on my RAH-66 a while back.

screenshot2_zpsklrosxgr.png~original

Edit:

I am loving this! My osprey finally has scale looking rotors :)

A couple things I noticed. (1) I needed to double the power output to make this fly. (2) Both the rotors are actually spinning backwards on start up. Should be a simple swap the minus between cfgs right?  One final request and I promise to shut up. Would you consider making the nose cone solid black instead of checkered?

screenshot0_zpsadhdt6o7.png~original

Edited by V8jester

3 hours ago, V8jester said:

Just throwing this out there. you can also (with some creative offset finesse) make a Fenestron tail. Using a KW rocketry fairing base (with no fairings) as well as procedural parts / Procedural wings, and a standard FS tail rotor. That's how I built my Fenestron tail on my RAH-66 a while back.

screenshot2_zpsklrosxgr.png~original

Edit:

I am loving this! My osprey finally has scale looking rotors :)

A couple things I noticed. (1) I needed to double the power output to make this fly. (2) Both the rotors are actually spinning backwards on start up. Should be a simple swap the minus between cfgs right?  One final request and I promise to shut up. Would you consider making the nose cone solid black instead of checkered?

screenshot0_zpsadhdt6o7.png~original

I'll fix the rotation direction. Black spinners? I went with checks because I felt it was more Kerbal.  I can do black, a simple moving of the UV.

10 minutes ago, Eskandare said:

I'll fix the rotation direction. Black spinners? I went with checks because I felt it was more Kerbal.  I can do black, a simple moving of the UV.

Now I did just now use some strategically placed procedural structural elements to cover them, so not that big of a deal really. And don't get me wrong I'm cackling like a little kid right now :) been playing with ospreys all day.

edit:

Just had a thought because I do see your point and also like them as they are too. FS Texture Switcher?

Edited by V8jester

Getting an exception spam when staging the rotors: "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" This spam also shows up from the KAX props, but not from the mkIV spaceplane props.

Extra Testing: The exceptions eventually stop after the engine has spun up, but turning the engine off again, causing it to spin down causes the exception errors once again.

Edited by Liondrome

On 7/17/2016 at 5:48 AM, Liondrome said:

Getting an exception spam when staging the rotors: "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" This spam also shows up from the KAX props, but not from the mkIV spaceplane props.

Extra Testing: The exceptions eventually stop after the engine has spun up, but turning the engine off again, causing it to spin down causes the exception errors once again.

This would be a problem with another mod conflicting with the fs_spinner code I would suggest sending all bug reports to the appropriate plugin threads. This mod only utilizes the modules supplied by Firespitter.dll 

53 minutes ago, Eskandare said:

This would be a problem with another mod conflicting with the fs_spinner code I would suggest sending all bug reports to the appropriate plugin threads. This mod only utilizes the modules supplied by Firespitter.dll 

I'm afraid I just tested this again on a clean install with just this mod and the firespitter supplied. Starting and turning off the engine still gives the null refs.

6 hours ago, Liondrome said:

I'm afraid I just tested this again on a clean install with just this mod and the firespitter supplied. Starting and turning off the engine still gives the null refs.

Very strange, I get zero NREs and have no problem on start or stop. I'll look into this. Edit: It's a problem with firespitter referencing something that doesn't exist anymore.

Edited by Eskandare

Reposting from Thermonuclear thread:

If you're looking for more things to add to an update, you could look at mass and cost/entryCost. All your parts pretty much have the same values for those entries. Not the end of the world (and I suspect it might be an inherited issue from KAX :P), but, meh.

What's the purpose of "FSengineMenuCleaner" by the way?

FYI: Your Imgur albums seem broken, which I suspect is due to Imgur recently overhauling their site.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.