[1.1.3] K.R.X Kerbal Rotor Expansion 0.31.1

Eskandare

On 11/25/2016 at 2:43 PM, gomker said:

@Eskandare Seeing a lot of errors in log using the Osprey rotors

[ERR 16:41:27.419] Module FSplanePropellerSpinner threw during OnUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Firespitter.engine.FSplanePropellerSpinner.OnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

I assume this is FireSpitter , will pop an issue in that thread, wanted to FYI 

I belive it is firespitter that throws that exception.

I read the last page or so but I'm not sure, has anyone got this working in the current version of the game (1.2.1)? A week or two ago I tried installing this, in a basically stock game, and none of the animations worked. I could fly around and everything but the rotors never moved, I guessed this was because Firespitter is badly out of date, but then again it sounds like some people do have it working in 1.2.1. Thanks for any reply.

26 minutes ago, Nicole said:

I read the last page or so but I'm not sure, has anyone got this working in the current version of the game (1.2.1)? A week or two ago I tried installing this, in a basically stock game, and none of the animations worked. I could fly around and everything but the rotors never moved, I guessed this was because Firespitter is badly out of date, but then again it sounds like some people do have it working in 1.2.1. Thanks for any reply.

It works fine in 1.2.1 as long as you have the updated Firespitter.

3 hours ago, XOC2008 said:

It works fine in 1.2.1 as long as you have the updated Firespitter.

Any idea where I can get the updated Firespitter? It doesn't seem to be either the one that comes downloaded with this mod or the one in the Firespitter topic. 

3 hours ago, Murican_Jeb said:

This looks like a transportaion worthy helicopter. Have you considered using KAS and KIS with this?

Yes I definitely will be using it for an all purpose heli, this was its first flight so I was just zooming around!  

Edited by SpaceBadger007

• 2 weeks later...

@Eskandare Is there a way to tweak the fuel efficiency of the engines? Or is this maybe a balancing issue that could/should be looked at in a future update?

I've been putting together this amphibious helo I was planning to use for rescue and survey missions and Kerbin Side GAP among others. It has the Sparrow as main rotor plus two Juno jets for added forward thrust. The various tanks hold around 1,000 fuel and the total wet mass is already 9,800 kg which is just shy of the max takeoff weight the Sparrow can lift. I tested the range and got about 200 km away from ksc before the fuel ran out, which, to me, didn't seem too great, given that the missions often require a lot longer flights. So I'm wondering if there's something I could do to make this thing a bit more useful. This is in stock aero by the way.

4xn4q86sBmFIXymEw2fIc0TyIH6c7uxzTVdbWn-4

23 hours ago, BureauJaeger said:

@Eskandare Is there a way to tweak the fuel efficiency of the engines? Or is this maybe a balancing issue that could/should be looked at in a future update?

I've been putting together this amphibious helo I was planning to use for rescue and survey missions and Kerbin Side GAP among others. It has the Sparrow as main rotor plus two Juno jets for added forward thrust. The various tanks hold around 1,000 fuel and the total wet mass is already 9,800 kg which is just shy of the max takeoff weight the Sparrow can lift. I tested the range and got about 200 km away from ksc before the fuel ran out, which, to me, didn't seem too great, given that the missions often require a lot longer flights. So I'm wondering if there's something I could do to make this thing a bit more useful. This is in stock aero by the way.

It could be that the various rotors, etc. could use a balance pass with performance/efficiency based on otherwise practical looking aircraft like yours (and some real-world counterparts).

I also have it in-mind to develop small rotorcraft to do the search/rescue missions and some short hops here and there. Maybe some MM patches can be figured out ahead of any actual new version of this mod.

6 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

It could be that the various rotors, etc. could use a balance pass with performance/efficiency based on otherwise practical looking aircraft like yours (and some real-world counterparts).

I also have it in-mind to develop small rotorcraft to do the search/rescue missions and some short hops here and there. Maybe some MM patches can be figured out ahead of any actual new version of this mod.

Yep. Well, the helicopter engines in the game need a lot of thrust just to lift the craft let alone move it forward, so I guess compared to planes they tend to get the short end of the stick when it comes to fuel economy. Luckily the Kerbin-Side bases help a lot, so you don't need to fly halfway across the globe from ksc chasing obscure biomes and survey sites. :)

42 minutes ago, BureauJaeger said:

Yep. Well, the helicopter engines in the game need a lot of thrust just to lift the craft let alone move it forward, so I guess compared to planes they tend to get the short end of the stick when it comes to fuel economy. Luckily the Kerbin-Side bases help a lot, so you don't need to fly halfway across the globe from ksc chasing obscure biomes and survey sites. :)

I don't think these have been hit since 1.1.3, so there's likely a bunch of tweaking to be done.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update: My work load should be decreasing, therefore I'll be able to devote a bit more time to KRX and CVX. I'll be releasing the 4 blade and a 5 blade folding rotors for stowing in the hangers of carriers in CVX. I'll also be adding the rotor thrust function into the tail rotors. Fixes of the Osprey rotor texture and a few other minor texture issues and update dependencies.

On the Fantom Works Redux, still working on making the texures stock-alike and adding hatches. IVAs won't be implemented yet as, a) I haven't tried making any yet, and b) they are the last thing on my list as they are time intensive to build especially the ones planned for CVX wich are the various decks you'll see Kerbals hanging out on (mess halls, munitions rooms, command decks etc (most of it made up as the deck layouts are generally classified).

• 1 month later...

Guys, what about you and lift generating parts on helicopters? I swear to god, every time i added a horizontal stabilizer with elevators on the tail of a copter everything went south as the manouverability was far more worse. It's fine whilw hovering, but during forward flight it's just terrible.

40 minutes ago, Salvator said:

Guys, what about you and lift generating parts on helicopters? I swear to god, every time i added a horizontal stabilizer with elevators on the tail of a copter everything went south as the manouverability was far more worse. It's fine whilw hovering, but during forward flight it's just terrible.

I mean, i know why is that - as soon as the heli starts moving forward, the wing parts on the tail start generating lift and they lift the tail up, tilting the craft , the question is, how you guys cope with that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.