[1.1.3] K.R.X Kerbal Rotor Expansion 0.31.1

Eskandare

On 7/15/2016 at 1:19 PM, Murican_Jeb said:

Can you had helicopter torque? I have been looking for a very long time for helicopter mods with realistic torque ;.;

Okay... I don't think you are listening to that suggestion anymore but can you just make one reply? :(

14 hours ago, Murican_Jeb said:

How come the Fenestron tail rotor has a crash tolerance of 0.5 m/s?

A slight markup oversight. I'll fix in the next update.

9 hours ago, Murican_Jeb said:

Okay... I don't think you are listening to that suggestion anymore but can you just make one reply? :(

I'm looking at using a thrust transform per rotor blade to represent the torque, but I'll need to have some sort of counter thrust generated by the anti-torque rotor.

10 hours ago, Eskandare said:

but I'll need to have some sort of counter thrust generated by the anti-torque rotor.

Well, there are 2 things you might be able to do:

1. Make it so that anytime you have a tail rotor, the helicopter will be stable
  2. Add thrust to the tail rotor

Hey @Eskandare I have another issue for ya. Again on the osprey rotors (Sorry)

The regular rotor has a typo on the cfg. The mesh is set to "off_sprey.mu" when the .mu is actually named "off_spray.mu" Also the texture is not actually being applied (totally white in game). Lastly I forgot to mention on my modification I increased the reaction wheel force to 70 in all directions just because the osprey can be a very unstable design to begin with.

4 hours ago, Murican_Jeb said:

Well, there are 2 things you might be able to do:

1. Make it so that anytime you have a tail rotor, the helicopter will be stable
  2. Add thrust to the tail rotor

Not to shoot ya down here or anything but, If you really want torque you can build an IR helicopter. You can build a swashplate and tail rotor. (Very difficult) but it will have all the torque issues a real helicopter would have. But I would like to play devils advocate for a second and just mention.... This is a game after all that we play for fun..... I personally don't see the value in adding more problems to overcome in ship design in a game.

5 hours ago, V8jester said:

Not to shoot ya down here or anything but, If you really want torque you can build an IR helicopter. You can build a swashplate and tail rotor. (Very difficult) but it will have all the torque issues a real helicopter would have. But I would like to play devils advocate for a second and just mention.... This is a game after all that we play for fun..... I personally don't see the value in adding more problems to overcome in ship design in a game.

Well, with IR it is hard to calculate how much power the tail rotor needs and stuff, so yeah :/ I guess I guess there will never be  a helicopter mod with realistic torque ;.;

Edit: Maybe you could give me a tutorial on IR helicopters?

Edited by Murican_Jeb

On 7/30/2016 at 11:35 AM, TMasterson5 said:

Any chance of a two bladed main and tail rotor?

You can get one from KAX Just make sure you have the correct firespitter installed :wink:

1 minute ago, Murican_Jeb said:

You can get one from KAX Just make sure you have the correct firespitter installed :wink:

I am aware of that but thanks. Im not a fan of it to be honest. Its super under powered and the rotors from this mod work and look a million times better

1 minute ago, TMasterson5 said:

I am aware of that but thanks. Im not a fan of it to be honest. Its super under powered and the rotors from this mod work and look a million times better

Actually, the two bladed main rotor has a max thrust of 100kn and the KRX Sparrow rotor is 110kn so there is not much of a difference

Edited by Murican_Jeb
Spelling error fix

Very good job on the fenestron rotor. 

I just experimented with it and found that the crash tolerance is slightly low. I tried making a water-landing capable helicopter and I kept on having the problem that the rotor explodes.

As a second tip, I'd find it cool if you could see to add a flag at the back of the rotor.

19 hours ago, DeepSlayLP said:

Very good job on the fenestron rotor. 

I just experimented with it and found that the crash tolerance is slightly low. I tried making a water-landing capable helicopter and I kept on having the problem that the rotor explodes.

As a second tip, I'd find it cool if you could see to add a flag at the back of the rotor.

Next update I have it fixed.

6 hours ago, War Eagle 1 said:

A hover function is needed

I can easily put the helicopter into a hover. in real life it is difficult for a pilot who is training. Use throttle controlled avionics... 

On 7/30/2016 at 3:30 AM, kiwi1960 said:

I love this mod.... I have a four rotor heavy lift chopper which possibly wouldn't fly without THROTTLE CONTROLLED AVIONICS mod....

The rotors mod and TCA are the best mods since sliced bread... in fact, you don't even need to make the chopper balanced... however, the only drawback, such as it is, is that you need more than one rotor/engine for TCA to work... not a problem if you want a heavy lift chopper... I have one chopper with 1 rotor and 4 jet VTOL engines... I use it as a scout and its range is awesome... it can travel a fair distance without refuelling.

I say this if anyone is having problems getting their efforts to work... and like I said, BOTH these mods in unison is utterly fantastic.

On a single rotor, or single rotor with a tail rotor use 'Unbalanced Thrust' in different groups. For intermeshing, tandom, quad, etc. rotor use 'Thrust'. Even though it says it has and error, disabled thrust for single rotor with 'unbalanced thrust' it still works.

Voilà!

vtKw7cx.png

On 27/07/2016 at 2:39 AM, V8jester said:

I wonder if looking at the folding electric rotor in FS would yield any helpful info? Now that beeing said. You haven't setup the Osprey / SeaKing as an actual "Rotor" but as an engine correct? So this would require a substantial change to how your rotors work. But that would be a proof of concept at the very least.

on a side note. I can't thank you enough for giving my Osprey some proper rotors! Thank you!

Now, I've always seen this but never asked because I have never had a need for it... till now....

question...

How do these.... Gods..... (meaning YOU!) fly two planes at once.... or in your case, two choppers at once. I know I can use the TCA mod and fly squadron style... but is there another way?

2 hours ago, kiwi1960 said:

Now, I've always seen this but never asked because I have never had a need for it... till now....

question...

How do these.... Gods..... (meaning YOU!) fly two planes at once.... or in your case, two choppers at once. I know I can use the TCA mod and fly squadron style... but is there another way?

Well there's only one God and I'm pretty sure he doesn't play KSP :wink:

To fly both planes I used Mechjeb's Spaceplane guidance. It will hold an altitude and heading while still allowing small course corrections from control inputs (keyboard or what not). This is also how I guide both planes for a mid air refuel. MJ will control both plane independently. And I can fine tune speed and position while MJ generally keeps things going in the correct direction and altitude. And as a side note, I set the chase plane's altitude about 10m lower to perfectly line up with the drogue from the tanker. MJ did such a good job holding position I actually accidently docked the planes on one of the scenes when I wasn't planning on it.

edit

Love the signature BTW! :)

Edited by V8jester

OK, I did not know that.... I knew Mechjeb would fly the plane for you, but if you left for another plane or the KSC... it would stop working.

Thanks... nice to know... and please... If I say you are a God.. then a God you are... although... a little less now that I know your secret. :)

13 hours ago, Eskandare said:

On a single rotor, or single rotor with a tail rotor use 'Unbalanced Thrust' in different groups. For intermeshing, tandom, quad, etc. rotor use 'Thrust'. Even though it says it has and error, disabled thrust for single rotor with 'unbalanced thrust' it still works.

Voilà!

vtKw7cx.png

TCA with single rotor works only from few latest versions, I didn't have time to build decent heli and try it with latest KSP and TCA release.
Good to know for confirmation that it works properly now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, gomker said:

@V8jester

What gun is that on the bottom of your Osprey? 

It's actually just a BD 20mm Vulcan on a custom gimbal made from RKE Kanadarm and IR Rework parts. Took several iterations before I figured the whole setup out. One AG to deploy the turret and FLIR ball, and another to retract everything. Once deployed I use "JKIL" to aim the turret and IR / Hull cam FLIR ball.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.