New Craft Type

Lately there's been something that's bugging me. If you have a craft with no command modules, even if it has docking ports or crew modules, it's considered debris. So I say there should be a separate craft type for crafts that are unable to be controlled, but still have crew or can be docked on to other things

2 minutes ago, Slam_Jones said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there not a "Probe" craft type?  That would seem, to me at least, to be the appropriate label.

Probes use an unmanned command module. I'm talking no command modules. I would manually change its type, except you need a command module to do that

EDIT: Although it would be nice if probes were extended to this

Edited by Brownhair2

I Agree with the OP, i often use docking ports on the last stage which might be a poodle and fuel tanks (so i can recover fuel and reuse them) I also use ports on inflatable heat shields. The other issue is you cant rename the 'debris' as they have no command module so you can't say "poodle engine stage - don't delete!' instead you have the name of the original craft and the tedium that is going through the debris list.

My preference rather than having a new category would be as i implied above, a way to rename the debris.

I support this idea for a different reason.

I have quite a bit of debris I consider "historical" and I'd rather avoid having it deleted when I reach the max persistent debris.

Possible names for this new category of "things with no command parts that are still important" include but are not limited to:

• "Other"
  • "Miscellaneous"
  • "Module"
  • "Derelict"
  • "Historical"

43 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I have quite a bit of debris I consider "historical" and I'd rather avoid having it deleted when I reach the max persistent debris.

Maybe not for historical reasons, but this is the main reason I want this: I don't want to accidentally delete something important, like a module with docking ports or debris with crew in it

2 minutes ago, Brownhair2 said:

Maybe not for historical reasons, but this is the main reason I want this: I don't want to accidentally delete something important, like a module with docking ports or debris with crew in it

I totally agree, I'm sick of having to put probe cores on every little bit and bob I might want later.

It could even be as simple as a "flag" where you nominate a piece of "debris" as unwanted or wanted.

Anything "unwanted" get's counted towards the max debris limit (and eventually deleted) while anything "wanted" does not. Of course "wanted" debris would have it's own tab in the tracking center so you could sort it form the general space junk and find it easily.

Make craft type customizable, like the custom categories in the editor. You create the new category, choose a name, and pick an icon from the list. In the VAB/SPH you can change the default ship type for a given command module.

I would also like to see more advanced criterion for naming, so it isn't just based on the CM. For example, vessels would need docking ports to qualify as a station, or a lack of crew space to qualify as a probe.

3 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

Make craft type customizable, like the custom categories in the editor. You create the new category, choose a name, and pick an icon from the list. In the VAB/SPH you can change the default ship type for a given command module.

I would also like to see more advanced criterion for naming, so it isn't just based on the CM. For example, vessels would need docking ports to qualify as a station, or a lack of crew space to qualify as a probe.

YES. I would also like a way to change the craft type of a ship in the VAB/SPH

I think I'm missing something. Isn't it possible to change craft type & name from tracking station? Isn't it possible too to "fly vessel" for the debris and do the same?

Maybe a different craft type label would be good, but this hardly seems necessary to me. :s

46 minutes ago, Megadeath said:

I think I'm missing something. Isn't it possible to change craft type & name from tracking station? Isn't it possible too to "fly vessel" for the debris and do the same?

Maybe a different craft type label would be good, but this hardly seems necessary to me. :s

You need a command module for that. And you can't change name and craft type directly from the Tracking Station

2 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Actually, there is a hidden feature where if you click the "I" button in the tracking station and a window pops up. If you click on the craft name in that window, you can rename it from there without flying it.

I was under the impression that this didn't work for debris.

16 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Actually, there is a hidden feature where if you click the "I" button in the tracking station and a window pops up. If you click on the craft name in that window, you can rename it from there without flying it.

Really? I'll have to try this on debris. They should make stuff like this more obvious

EDIT: Works. I still like @RocketSquid's idea though

Edited by Brownhair2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.