What is your favorite planet in KSP?

Kerbinchaser

what is your favorite planet and why?  

187 members have voted

1. 1. what is your favorite planet and why?

On 7/28/2017 at 3:23 AM, ProtoJeb21 said:

Poor Moho, so underrated. I actually like visiting it; in fact, it's often the first or second planet I send a probe to in my science mode saves. Its got a nice texture map and is great for science - high science multiplier and quite a lot of biomes. The downside is that, unless you leave at just the right time, your capture burns are going to be ridiculous.

I'd say that my favorite planets are Eve, Duna and Jool. Eve is awesome (especially since it's basically Trappist-1c), Duna is a nice place to visit for just about any type of mission, and Jool has an amazing moon system. Plus David Kipping may have found a Laythe analogue around Kepler-1625b, which makes the Jool system more realistic and much cooler!

I'll agree on Moho, I don't mind the dV, and the frequent transfer windows and short transfer times are nice.

Eve though.... Its a purple hell, From orbit some visual mods increase its visual appeal, but I just hate the sheer purpleness of the planet. I'd rather have it be yellow like venus (if that's too on the nose as an analogue, why isn't it a problem for Duna?)

Jool's cool too.

I think all of the planets are equally good, even comparing Dres to Jool, mainly because each planet has it's personality.

Moho and Eeloo are both difficult to get to, and really put a new perspective on distance from the sun

Eve is easy to get to, and was my first interplanetary probe destination, but its hard to get back from.

Gilly is the exact opposite of Eve, it's small, lumpy, hard to get to and land, but easy to come back from.

Kerbin and the Mun are like our own Earth and Moon, it is home.

Minmus has flat and rough surfaces, its surface is dramatically opposite, kind of like the Eve/Gilly system

Duna has a moon similar to the Mun, the veiw from one object, looking at the other is great and gets better with mods. Duna is also like Mars and has large ice caps

Dres is like the moon, but orbiting the Sun, and has a pretty large crater. It would be cool if there was a mod that switched one or all of Kerbins moons with Dres. Everyone complains about Dres, and really there is not much wrong with it.

Jool looks good, and has it's own solar system of diverse moons.

Eeloo, because it is a lonely snowy marble floating around far away from Kerbin.

3 minutes ago, MrWalrus123 said:

Gilly is the exact opposite of Eve, it's small, lumpy, hard to get to and land, but easy to come back from.

True that the landing is quite unpleasant, every time my kerbal goes out to plant a flag, the ship rolls away and my kerbal has to run and jump on to the rolling ship.

Kerbin, it's easy to get to, just launch a vessel, go EVA and you're there.

Second Favorite is Jool, it's a great place to learn about gravity assists.

5 hours ago, MrWalrus123 said:

Orbital speed for Gilly is 33 m/s - you can land and return quite easy while EVA, no ship required unless you're there for refueling

On 6/30/2016 at 3:23 PM, Lo Var Lachland said:

I was just wondering, what is everyone's favorite planet in KSP and why?

I personally like Duna. Thin atmosphere, easy to get to... You know. The 

"usual"

Unmodded: Kerbin - because it's easy to quickly get to interesting places, like Mun and Minmus, and because there's plenty of variation in terrain.

Modded: It'a a toss-up between Sarnus (because it looks super cool, and who doesn't like "Saturn"?) and Kerbin - Kerbin again because with Kerbin-Side, there's SO MUCH to do and see. Especially if you have an airship to tool around in from Hooligan Labs and Angel-125's "Heisenberg" airship mod.

Although I also really like the planets in the "Kepsilon" and "Other Worlds" Kopernicus mods.

Mine is Kerbin : it's the easiest crash-zone to reach from KSC :D 

And of course it's where the main operations takes place (Stations, CommNet, sats, ect..)

Just after Kerbin, it would be Laythe, with it's beautiful oceans and islands. Yeah I know Laythe is not really a planet but it's something round-shaped floating in deep space, with surface-crashing capabilities, so my chief engineer said it was a planet. :)

It is Jool or Eve,

Eve,because it has oceans and it is purple and it's ground sky colour matches.

Jool:because it is a gas giant I like gas giants,because they have oceans and clouds.Also Jool has a lot of interesting moons,Laythe is a waterworld ideal for colonization ,Tylo I have not visited, Vall is a icy moon like europa,,except green,Bop has the kraken,Pol is very colourful and is and has mountains and it's terrain scatters are different.

I have not visited all planets yet so it might change.

Edited by Curiosity7907

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2016 at 3:53 AM, Lo Var Lachland said:

I was just wondering, what is everyone's favorite planet in KSP and why?

I personally like Duna. Thin atmosphere, easy to get to... You know. The 

"usual"

It would be cool if it's atmosphere was a little  more thick so you need to use both rockets and parachutes to land safely,Just like in real life

Edited by Curiosity7907

I went with Eve for two reasons. First, it looks cool. Love the purple. Second, it's a big tease. The risk of being unable to return to orbit is too great for a manned mission, so I'm forever stuck sending down various probes, planes, and rovers, but never sending down a Kerbal to actually walk on the surface and plant a flag. The surface is so close, yet out of reach; at least for me.

My favourite body though is Laythe. Laythe is prettier than Eve, and jet engines work there, which is nice for exploration.

Kerbin is so far my favorite:

1) Has a Space Center

2) I spend most of my time inside Kerbin's SOI

3) The only other planet I've sent Kerbals to is Duna so far.

But I've been eyeing Laythe lately. If I can get there (and if I can get back) maybe that will become my favorite "off-world" location. I hear the view there is spectacular.

• 1 year later...

Dr-es of course because it’s: 

1. Hard to get to. 

2. Has a reasonable :science: modifier.

3. Has... interesting terrain.

On 8/28/2017 at 2:16 PM, Greenfire32 said:

Kerbin is so far my favorite:

1) Has a Space Center

2) I spend most of my time inside Kerbin's SOI

3) The only other planet I've sent Kerbals to is Duna so far.

But I've been eyeing Laythe lately. If I can get there (and if I can get back) maybe that will become my favorite "off-world" location. I hear the view there is spectacular.

Well, if you set up a base, don’t forget:

Air: Unbreatheable.

Water: F-I-L-L-E-D with salt. Bring a purifier.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.