Stock lights aren't very bright

Tyko

On 7/3/2016 at 10:10 PM, samstarman5 said:

As to OP, I am confused as to what you are hoping for?  Are you looking to illuminate kilometers of land with one light?  Because that would make things way too overpowered and ridiculous. I can't speak to the landing gear lights, which are really meant to illuminate just where you are landing, but the Illuminator Mk1 and Mk2 do just fine.  For one thing, if you are finding land or objects before you are seeing either, then you are going way too fast.

In a test on the dark side of the Mun with 4 MK1 lights the ground wasn't reflecting light back to me until about 300m. That seems really short. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd think you'd start seeing light reflected from the ground in a complete vacuum further away than that.

• 1 year later...

Have the setting in stock changed? my lights are crap. mk1 spotlights dont reflect at all. (yes they are turned on;-p) the reflection is like a match.

i used to be able to line up lights in the VAB/SPH now that the reflection is so low i cant even see the beam to line the lights up to show on the ground where they reflect.

please anyone! is there a setting i can adjust in the cfg's to make the lights reflection brighter the way it used to be

On ‎2016‎年‎7‎月‎3‎日 at 9:27 PM, Mjarf said:

That's actually not completely unreasonable, CREE recently passed 1000 lumens form a 1 watt LED bulb. Kerbals obviously have more advance technology than humans, so I'd say it's fairly realistic that a 1 watt light with Kerbal technology is that bright. It's more realistic than the other technology they have anyway.

Seriously? 1000lm/watt !?
From all the commonly available datasheet, CREE has the normal performance of 100lm/watt up to 10W and that's pretty impressive.

A little googling only gives the result of breaking 300lm/watt back in 2014 from their press release.

Can you provide any link to the news and something? It would be mindblowing if it's true I'm so ready to be educated.

I use lights very seldom anymore-- the ones that actually light things up are rough on my potato of a computer's wheezing graphics card.  I stick to the "LED" marker lights that let me see where my ship is in the dark, and try to land in daylight.   (One time recently I forgot that, and after I had "landed" I began a long slide down to who-knows-where--- I think i had accidentally found one of the steepest slopes on Minmus!  Quick take-off... )

4 hours ago, EwingKang said:

Seriously? 1000lm/watt !?
From all the commonly available datasheet, CREE has the normal performance of 100lm/watt up to 10W and that's pretty impressive.

A little googling only gives the result of breaking 300lm/watt back in 2014 from their press release.

Can you provide any link to the news and something? It would be mindblowing if it's true I'm so ready to be educated.

It's possible that the article I read about it was wrong. I can't find anything about it on Google either.

Keep in mind that, at 683 lumens per watt means "100% efficient".  Every joule of electricity becomes a joule of photons.  So 1000 lumens per watt is perpetual motion machine territory.

There was a strange experiment where a very underdriven LED managed to generate more energy than it consumed, making itself colder as a side-effect.  Here:  https://phys.org/news/2012-03-efficiency.html  Fascinating, but we're talking picowatts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.