[1.3.1] Persistent Dynamic Pod Names release

On 5/01/2017 at 3:16 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Is this still happening?

I removed the mod a month ago, simply so I could continue playing, and now that I've added it back again to test, I can't yet provoke the NRE. I'm still on 1.2.1 too. No doubt it'll appear as soon as I post this! :wink:

7 minutes ago, Bluebottle said:

I removed the mod a month ago, simply so I could continue playing, and now that I've added it back again to test, I can't yet provoke the NRE. I'm still on 1.2.1 too. No doubt it'll appear as soon as I post this! :wink:

Ok, let me know if it happens again.

22 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok, let me know if it happens again.

And... yes, there it is. This happened during a simple launch of a vessel with one Mk1 pod and one probe core. I did not touch/supply any PDPN pod names before launch.

[EXC 23:56:16.374] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Cannot be negative.
Parameter name: length
	System.String.Substring (Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)
	PDPN.PDPN_SelectionWindow.GetFormat (System.String templateName)
	PDPN.PDPN_SelectionWindow.formatManualEntryName (.PartModule pm2, System.String templateName, Boolean fillSelections, Boolean inFlight, System.String storedTemplateName)
	PDPN.PersistentDynamicPodNames.FixedUpdate ()

I got the CTD at ~130km altitude, so about 2 minutes after launch. At least 30 exceptions per second until then, right from within a second of the flight mode scene change.

The other PartModuleList.GetEnumerator exception I was getting before was unrelated and not happening any more since I removed an old version of Ship Sounds.

Edited by Bluebottle

2 hours ago, Bluebottle said:

And... yes, there it is. This happened during a simple launch of a vessel with one Mk1 pod and one probe core. I did not touch/supply any PDPN pod names before launch.

[EXC 23:56:16.374] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Cannot be negative.
	PDPN.PDPN_SelectionWindow.formatManualEntryName (.PartModule pm2, System.String templateName, Boolean fillSelections, Boolean inFlight, System.String storedTemplateName)

I got the CTD at ~130km altitude, so about 2 minutes after launch. At least 30 exceptions per second until then, right from within a second of the flight mode scene change.

The other PartModuleList.GetEnumerator exception I was getting before was unrelated and not happening any more since I removed an old version of Ship Sounds.

I was going to ask for a log, but probably don't need it.  Could you get me the craft file?

Thanks

10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I was going to ask for a log, but probably don't need it.  Could you get me the craft file?

Thanks

Sure, no problem. Here. The log file I posted on page 2 is identical regarding this issue. Thanks!

You'll need at least Ven's Stock Revamp, RLA Stockalike, Dmagic's experiments, Procedural Fairings, MRS (full/complete), SPS tanks and Randazzo's Vanguard engine pack to load that. Sorry! :confused:

Edit: and USI-LS

Edited by Bluebottle

• 2 weeks later...

It is very likely I'm doing something wrong, but here goes:

I'm on 1.2.2, which may also be a factor.
I've built a fairly simple ship, and gave the entire ship the *Mercury* template. However, when I launch, instead of saying "Mercury 1", "Mercury 2", etcetera, it shows up as "Mercury #Mercury#"

Am I messing up? Is it the version I'm playing on? 

EDIT:
I did mess up. Carry on as you were!

Edited by Melfice

• 2 months later...

Okay, color me stupid, but how do I use this? I presumed that this takes the functionality of Launch Numbering to the next level, but I'll be damned if I can get it to work. Would anyone with a brain please walk me through setting up a series of launches? If someone has the patience, I'd like two different scenarios:

1. A series of probe missions, all with the same name but numerically increasing iterations (like Launch Numbering does).

2. A series of manned missions, with multiple command pods (like the actual Apollo missions).

Thanks in advance for alleviating my ignorance.

• 4 weeks later...

Minor update, 0.1.7.1:

• Disabled Blizzy Toolbar.  Needs work to provide the popup menus, etc

a bug report was filed about 9 months ago, and when I just looked at it, it seems that there is some more stuff which needs to be done, so I'm disabling the blizzy toolbar for now to avoid any confusion

23 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 0.1.7:

• Added new vessel types Plane and Relay
  • Added AssemblyVersion.tt

Thanks for your work maintaining this. Is there any chance this version fixes the exception I reported in January?

On 15/04/2017 at 3:02 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Probably not, could you test and repost a log ifile it happens again?

Thanks anyway. It does still happen - I reported it here twice before, with logs and a craft file.

Edited by Bluebottle

18 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok.  I think I found it, please try this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjmacnh94uy1wxw/PersistentDynamicPodNames-0.1.7.2.zip?dl=0

and let me know how it goes

Thanks. I still get the same exception - it simply can't handle it when I forget to add any pod names before launch.

[EXC 21:35:53.691] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Cannot be negative.

So it's something to do with the template  or the vessel you are using, because I'm not getting this when I test

Please send me the craft file and the full log.  When you send me snippets of a log, it's useless, since you have no idea what debugging statements are elsewhere in the log.  There are debugging statements which I added to help me figure this out, which is why I posted the link, it was a special compile with some extra statements as well as a possible fix.

I also need to know the template you are using in the craft, please send that as well.

Please use this one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gajjr1iq6zsij6n/PersistentDynamicPodNames-0.1.7.3-beta.zip?dl=0

I added some extra statements

Edited by linuxgurugamer

19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

So it's something to do with the template  or the vessel you are using, because I'm not getting this when I test

Please send me the craft file and the full log.  When you send me snippets of a log, it's useless, since you have no idea what debugging statements are elsewhere in the log.  There are debugging statements which I added to help me figure this out, which is why I posted the link, it was a special compile with some extra statements as well as a possible fix.

I also need to know the template you are using in the craft, please send that as well.

Please use this one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gajjr1iq6zsij6n/PersistentDynamicPodNames-0.1.7.3-beta.zip?dl=0

I added some extra statements

OK, I didn't know it was also a debug build. The craft file is the same as in January, with mod requirements from the post above .

I don't use templates. My use case is to keep the correct type of vessel (can't stand it when everything becomes "a base") and correct vessel names after dock/undock. So I don't fill in any of the fields, in most cases:

Spoiler

9VrooRe.jpg

Anyway, enough about that. Important: I can't reproduce it with 0.1.7.3-beta. With 0.1.7.2, it is reproducible. So something you've done has fixed it :).

Here are the two log files: 0.1.7.2 and 0.1.7.3-beta. The procedure for both was identical: load KSP, go to VAB, load Scout 6, change the kerbal to a scientist, launch.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, Bluebottle said:

OK, I didn't know it was also a debug build. The craft file is the same as in January, with mod requirements from the post above .

I don't use templates. My use case is to keep the correct type of vessel (can't stand it when everything becomes "a base") and correct vessel names after dock/undock. So I don't fill in any of the fields, in most cases:

Reveal hidden contents

9VrooRe.jpg

Anyway, enough about that. Important: I can't reproduce it with 0.1.7.3-beta. With 0.1.7.2, it is reproducible. So something you've done has fixed it :).

Here are the two log files: 0.1.7.2 and 0.1.7.3-beta. The procedure for both was identical: load KSP, go to VAB, load Scout 6, change the kerbal to a scientist, launch.

Thanks!

Good.

I did add a single extra check for null, that must have been it.

I'll get a new release out later.

New release, 0.1.7.3:

• Added checks for nullrefs when no template specified

• 2 weeks later...

how it goes with launch numbering?

In particular: how the sufix from LN will be added (not added/only to principal probecore/to all probecore the same/different to each probecore/other)? Or I can just use a config to provide the functionality from LN?

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish Mods

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have two questions:

First, do template names need at least two(?) letters? I had some custom templates named *F* for planes and *R* for rockets, both threw an error message that the template name is too short.

Second, is it possible to store template configs somewhere else than the plugindata folder within GameData/PersistentDynamicPodNames/ ? I fear that with the next update, my carefully crafted templates are gone.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I can't remember why, but am pretty sure that template names need to be more than one character

Unless you are deleting the entire folder, the configs don't go away.  I'll add this as an enhancement request, though

Honestly, that's my default way of upgrading.  Trying to merge always seems to work poorly.  (And that's not even counting macOS's poor support for merging in the first place.)  There's a few mods which I try to remember need a bit extra work - Patchmanager comes to mind.  But typically it's just 'delete & replace'.  And occasionally re-do the settings when for some *$*$^*^ reason they're in the mod folder itself.  :wink: 

6 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Honestly, that's my default way of upgrading.  Trying to merge always seems to work poorly.  (And that's not even counting macOS's poor support for merging in the first place.)  There's a few mods which I try to remember need a bit extra work - Patchmanager comes to mind.  But typically it's just 'delete & replace'.  And occasionally re-do the settings when for some *$*$^*^ reason they're in the mod folder itself.  :wink: 

So what I'll probably do is add an entry to the PDPN_Settings.cfg file, which points to the folder where the templates are to be found.  If it isn't there, it will continue the same as it is now

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.