[1.3.1] Persistent Dynamic Pod Names release

8 hours ago, DStaal said:

Honestly, that's my default way of upgrading.  Trying to merge always seems to work poorly.  (And that's not even counting macOS's poor support for merging in the first place.)  There's a few mods which I try to remember need a bit extra work - Patchmanager comes to mind.  But typically it's just 'delete & replace'.  And occasionally re-do the settings when for some *$*$^*^ reason they're in the mod folder itself.  :wink: 

Curious, which file are you putting your templates in?

I'm wondering if I just found a bug :-)

Never mind, it was a typo

Edited by linuxgurugamer

No problem.

And for your information: I don't actually use templates.  They're more effort than I tend to go into on naming something.  :wink:   My usual use for this mod is when I send up a multi-mission ship that gets split apart over time - I'll name the control pods of each section so they all have real names once they're staged apart.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/17/2017 at 7:19 AM, DStaal said:

No problem.

And for your information: I don't actually use templates.  They're more effort than I tend to go into on naming something.  :wink:   My usual use for this mod is when I send up a multi-mission ship that gets split apart over time - I'll name the control pods of each section so they all have real names once they're staged apart.

Is this only possible in the vab? Or can I use this on my ships already in orbit?  I'm having trouble getting the mod to change the names of ships that I want. 

• 2 months later...

There's an interaction between PDPN and KRASH simulator that means that PDPN templates that rely on incrementing counters don't get reset upon the termination of the simulation. So, launch craft in simulation, PDPN template names Probe #1. Reset sim and launch again (real or simulated) and the Probe then becomes Probe #2. 

• 3 months later...

Since stock now has this functionality, I haven't updated it for 1.4, and don't intend to, at least with it's current functionality.

However, I am thinking of possibly reworking this to do the following:

• Continue to name the vessel according to the selected template
  • See if I can work with the stock method of naming multiple stages.  Hopefully that would simplify the code here

Any interest?

• 8 months later...

Much interest in this.

There are still problems with stock naming of vessels. For instance i have a cruiser that splits into a lander. After i redock teh lander with the orbiting part teh vessel gets reclassified as station. This is without naming the probles in the VAB.

If i name things in the VAB then that name will overwrite anything that docks to said ship.

For instance i have a station that i specificaly named in teh VAB as "Fuel Station" (right click on a probe core and set its name)

I have a cruiser in orbit that i didn't named. I renamed it in orbt as "CRS AChilles". After i dock it with the station it loses teh name and it becomes "Fuel Station ship".

This is most agravating....

18 hours ago, Nicky21 said:

Much interest in this.

There are still problems with stock naming of vessels. For instance i have a cruiser that splits into a lander. After i redock teh lander with the orbiting part teh vessel gets reclassified as station. This is without naming the probles in the VAB.

If i name things in the VAB then that name will overwrite anything that docks to said ship.

For instance i have a station that i specificaly named in teh VAB as "Fuel Station" (right click on a probe core and set its name)

I have a cruiser in orbit that i didn't named. I renamed it in orbt as "CRS AChilles". After i dock it with the station it loses teh name and it becomes "Fuel Station ship".

Sorry to say that there doesn't seem to be much interest in this mod anymore.  And I think that you would probably have the same problems as the stock method.

While untested in 1.6, the mod should work.  You can get the latest version from here:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/PersistentDynamicPodNames/releases/tag/0.1.9

I would be interested in hearing the results of your tests

The mod works fine in 1.6.1, no crashes.

bug 1:

every relay I design is now classified as probe unless I specifically set it otherwise. 

bug 2:

I have relay in orbit. I click on the "persistent pod name" function, change it from probe to relay. when i click on the button again, it's bac to being a probe. no matter how many times i try to change it or even change it into station, it reverts to beeing a probe.

bug 3:

(most likely related) is this: I design a 2 stage relay, I click on the rename vessel to mark it as a relay (cuz its probe at teh begining). I used the "rename vessel" function, not the "persistent pod name". Once I ditch the stage, the thing is back to beeing a probe. 

I'll keep reporting weird stuff as I progress.

Edited by Nicky21

This mod is depreciated.  No support is forthcoming for anything beyond 1.3.1

Sorry, I forgot I had asked to to tell me the results

@Nicky21

Try this, it was compiled against the 1.6.1 code, and may work better:

https://jenkins.spacetux.net/job/M-S/job/PersistentDynamicPodNames/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/PersistentDynamicPodNames-1.6.1-0.1.9.zip

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I loved this mod as I'd been playing on 1.3.1 for a while. Recently started a 1.6.1 save and realized it was mostly integrated into stock.

On 1/16/2019 at 2:02 PM, Nicky21 said:

I assume you've figured it out by now, but it sounds like your issues are with the priority slider causing your issues. I had a test station with a bunch of different docked things using the stock system, and both naming and pod typing seem to work perfectly, without some of the PDPN bugs I had in 1.3. The only major problem is that you can't change your naming priority outside the VAB/SPH, but you can change that in your settings.cfg file:

SHOW_VESSEL_NAMING_IN_FLIGHT = False

Change it to True and you can resolve those issues in flight.

As far as I can see, the only thing missing from stock is configuring naming templates, which would be nice, but not a huge deal if missing.

Anyhow, thanks, LGG for your awesome work. Not a bad way for this one to go.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 10:54 AM, 1straycat said:

I loved this mod as I'd been playing on 1.3.1 for a while. Recently started a 1.6.1 save and realized it was mostly integrated into stock.

I assume you've figured it out by now, but it sounds like your issues are with the priority slider causing your issues. I had a test station with a bunch of different docked things using the stock system, and both naming and pod typing seem to work perfectly, without some of the PDPN bugs I had in 1.3. The only major problem is that you can't change your naming priority outside the VAB/SPH, but you can change that in your settings.cfg file:

SHOW_VESSEL_NAMING_IN_FLIGHT = False

Change it to True and you can resolve those issues in flight.

As far as I can see, the only thing missing from stock is configuring naming templates, which would be nice, but not a huge deal if missing.

Thank you straycat for this setting. It solves all my issues !!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.