16 Ton Eve sea level return vehicle - ALL STOCK

taking off from low down in eves atmosphere can be a pain, so i thought why not use a propeller!

- average propeller mode climb height - 6-ish m/s    i.e. slow
 - crew 0/1 , i just simulated the weight of a kerbal with an additional probe core, so it should work exactly the same with one
 - 150 m/s dv left over at the end for docking/rendezvous with another craft
 - start height 200m, you can really take off from anywhere with this, its much faster on kerbin however as the prop can spin much faster and generate more thrust + gravity is lower there.

- vid - 

I've seen prop Eve ascenders before but I am always impressed by how well they work! I will look onto this for my future Eve ascents! I think it beats a monster rocket any day. Nice work man! 

Looking into it I may have been mistaken, is this a stock first?

Edited by Majorjim

7 hours ago, nuclear_turkey said:

That's an interesting way of doing things. Perhaps it might be of interest to Azimech and his stock propeller thread. Have you tried using engine wash to spin it instead of SAS power? I'm not saying it would work better but it might be interesting.

1 hour ago, Redshift OTF said:

it instead of SAS power

SAS powered hinges are very well know round these here parts matey. Although the method shown by Nuketurkey is new unless I am mistaken.

Edited by Majorjim

2 hours ago, Majorjim said:

SAS powered hinges are very well know round these here parts matey. Although the method shown by Nuketurkey is new unless I am mistaken.

I was thinking more of the bearing design he used. It seems pretty good considering it doesn't use any wheels although I am not sure if it can handle the speeds and forces of a jet wash design. Using round probe cores for that sort of thing is not something I have tried.

11 minutes ago, Redshift OTF said:

I was thinking more of the bearing design he used. It seems pretty good considering it doesn't use any wheels although I am not sure if it can handle the speeds and forces of a jet wash design. Using round probe cores for that sort of thing is not something I have tried.

I've never seen it ans yes, sorry I agree it deserves further study! :)

I tested it and it seems rock solid and smooth at high speeds! It was a bit wobbly but adding some wheels in the right place corrected that. I'm not sure how it handles high stress low speed situations yet but I will test that at a later date. It's a good design.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.