Anyone Else Excited for Civilization VI

Bill Phil

So, is anyone else excited for Civ VI? The release is currently scheduled for October of this year.

I'm a bit excited, mainly for the destacking of cities and the ability to have non-coastal cities build ships later on via the harbor district.

Edited by Bill Phil

32 minutes ago, astrokerb said:

I am very excited. I did not enjoy Civilization V, and have been playing Civ IV for over two years now. The only thing I'm worried about is that I won't be able to adapt easily to Civ VI. 

When did you play Civ V? Did you use the expansions? Brave New World makes Civ V much much better, but the AI is still pretty bad.

On July 3, 2016 at 5:08 PM, Bill Phil said:

When did you play Civ V? Did you use the expansions? Brave New World makes Civ V much much better, but the AI is still pretty bad.

See, now I would argue that Brave New World completely broke Civ V by destroying the late-game balance. Especially with introducing the horrid World Congress nonsense that might work in multiplayer but always ends up being completely nutters in single player. The first expansion was good though, and most of BNW was ok, provided you finish the game before the World Congress renders it numb. (Or use a mod to disable said mechanic.) If I want my empire to still get happiness from my now-illegal oranges, I should be able to leave the World Congress, even if that means total political isolation.

As for Civ VI, I'm still on the fence. I've not been impressed with anything Firaxis has released since the first release of the new X-Com, especially the "DLCs" they've released for their games. I'm not entirely sure we still speak the same language, me and the ghosts of Microprose. Maybe I'll like Civ VI, but I'm not jumping into it on day 1. 

I'm certainly anticipating it.  I'm not sure excited is the word, but I've been playing Civ since the Amiga days, and I still have a ritual of playing at least one max-length game of the latest iteration of the franchise every Christmas.  At a certain point it's just become about updated graphics and tweaks to the rulesets.

I still love Civ, but it's more a nostalgia game for me at this point.  What they've announced about the changes that they'll be making in 6 sound interesting, but I'm not expecting it to completely reignite my passion for the franchise.  I expect to get a couple of hundred hours playtime out of it, and it'll sit in my steam library, much the same as 5.

And I'll be perfectly happy with that.  (As long as they do some more of the CIVAnon videos, that is.)

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.