The Science Behind Fireworks

Since fireworks are a big part of any American Independence Day, and these forums are very science inclined I'd figure there's no better time to explain what goes on when those bright colors and loud noises are released into the sky.

Most fireworks use different salts to make all of the colors you see. When these salts are burned, each of them produce a unique color. For example Barium Chloride (BaCl2) produces green, Sodium Nitrate (NaNO3) produces yellow, and Strontium Carbonate (SrCO3) produces an intense red.

Fun fact, Disney is the biggest consumer of fireworks in the US.

Please feel free to share any other things you might know about fireworks, like how they're made or how they work!

(Info obtained from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireworks)

Edited by Mrsupersonic8
D'oh!

Despite having no complicated guidance mechanisms, fireworks are incredibly effective at homing in on their prey: male humans, preferably young adults and adolescents. Over three quarters of all victims are male, and most are under 25.

Fireworks are particularly effective in conducting instantaneous eye surgery. No anaesthetics are required, but a significant number of patients do tend to self-medicate with alcohol before undergoing the procedures which include corneal ablation, retinal separation or, more rarely, globular rupture or partial enucleation.

Dermatological conditions are those that fireworks are most commonly used to treat. Mild exposure can temporariy cure all sorts of pilosity, while at closer range they can permanently eradicate syndromes associated with excessively smooth and/or unblemished skin. There is no data available concerning their ability to cure warts, carbuncles or verrucas, but since there are thousands of cases each year where people are cured of the very presence of significant portions of skin (and in some cases, deep subcutaneous tissue and osseous structures), one might safely presume that cutaneous imperfections can be eliminated at the same time.

Unfortunately, all these benefits of fireworks do come with a cost. Targets (when they survive, though the vast majority do and, indeed, manage to go on to lead only slightly curtailed lives with some semblance of normality) generally report some discomfort and many require further medical intervention to either correct or complete the surgeries initiated in such an overenthusiastic fashion by the fireworks themselves.

19 hours ago, Plusck said:

Fireworks are particularly effective in conducting instantaneous eye surgery. No anaesthetics are required, but a significant number of patients do tend to self-medicate with alcohol before undergoing the procedures which include corneal ablation, retinal separation or, more rarely, globular rupture or partial enucleation.

Even though it is not considered fashionable, wearing eye protection is not a bad idea. Especially when you consider a large portion of the victims did not even light fireworks themselves.

I'm a bit of a pyromaniac myself (with scars to prove it), so it's not as if I have anything against people blowing stuff up.

Still, one of my most uncomfortable experiences was New Year in Germany. The local highlight of the evening was everybody squeezing onto a hilltop above the city to watch all the fireworks. "Great!", I thought. Then I realised that part of the tradition was every single person on that same hilltop lighting off boxes of their own fireworks. The crowd being what it was, it was very difficult to get more than about 3m away from anybody else. 8-year-olds were squeezing themselves into gaps of bare ground between adult legs to set off theirs. O joy!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.