[1.6.1] Reentry Particle Effect 1.4 (2019-02-12)

pizzaoverhead

Re-entry Particle Effect

This mod adds code to display an unused stock particle effect for reentry, featuring a plasma trail and sparks.

Downloads

CurseForge | SpaceDock | GitHub

Download packages, art and sound assets, binaries and libraries licensed All Rights Reserved.

Source included, project also available on github licenced under GPL v2.

If you've enjoyed this, consider donating a cup of coffee to help with late night coding:

btn_donate_LG.gif

Change log

v1.4 (2019-02-12)

• Recompiled and updated for KSP 1.6.
  • Reduced the scale of the plasma trail.

v1.3 (2018-08-24)

• Recompiled and updated for KSP 1.4 compatibility.

v1.2 (2016-10-24)

• Recompiled for KSP 1.2.

v1.1 (2016-07-04)

• Changed re-entry effects to activate only during harsh aerobraking.

v1.0 (2016-07-03)

• Initial release.
Edited by pizzaoverhead
V1.4 release.

6 minutes ago, MK3424 said:

You are a frikkin' genius!!! 

why aren't you part of the dev team yet? (or have you?)

I didn't make the effect itself, I only turned on an effect made by someone in Squad :wink:

Judging by this video from early 2013, I'd hazard a guess that it was Chad (@C7Studios):

I've wanted this effect in game since I first saw this video :D

Edited by pizzaoverhead

Just now, pizzaoverhead said:

I didn't make the effect itself, I only turned on an effect made by someone in Squad :wink:

I meant in a general way...

Your small mods are so great... it even inspired the devs to make their own iterations of it: Free IVA is now partially stock.

**slow clap** you sir... deserve to be imortilized in a monument for re-introducing this effect... Quick! someone make a mod that lets you place monoliths, find one of the special green asteroids, attach the monolith to it, and put it either into orbit, or send it through the Atmosphere :D

5 minutes ago, MK3424 said:

I meant in a general way...

Your small mods are so great... it even inspired the devs to make their own iterations of it: Free IVA is now partially stock.

Thanks! That's what I hope for all my mods: That Squad see them, are able to see the community response, try them out, see the level of work involved, and hopefully decide to add them or something like them to the base game.

Edited by pizzaoverhead

Even better, under Unity 5.3+ (so for KSP 1.2, which is going to be on Unity 5.4) the particles/flares/trails are on their own graphics thread which should help

I wonder why they're not enabled, and can they be fiddled with?

2 minutes ago, SkyKaptn said:

Taking my F-16 out for a Sunday stroll with a newly fitted ramjet

it uhh... seem you were going... just a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitle to fast... otherwise that looks really awesome :D!

Should be available in CKAN by the time you read this. Thanks for the submission, @pizzaoverhead!

15 minutes ago, Drakoflame said:

it uhh... seem you were going... just a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitle to fast... otherwise that looks really awesome :D!

Yeah, looks like a little too much ram in the ramjet.

It's cool but a little bit overzealous in my opinion. You should only be leaving a big plasma trail if you're reentering at like 3km/s, just overheating slightly when taking off shouldn't trigger it. Maybe a very gentle version (or just the sparks) but not a huge fiery trail.

4 hours ago, HerrGeneral said:

I love it! If you're willing to tweak and add to it, maybe using the Unity trail renderer could get a similar effect without as much of the performance hit.

I'd actually been thinking of doing that, but never got round to it. In the past I tried something similar for engine effects using a Unity line renderer:

3 hours ago, the_Demongod said:

It's cool but a little bit overzealous in my opinion. You should only be leaving a big plasma trail if you're reentering at like 3km/s, just overheating slightly when taking off shouldn't trigger it. Maybe a very gentle version (or just the sparks) but not a huge fiery trail.

It's set to only be active when the plasma effects are active.  My reasoning was that if there's plasma in front of your craft, there should probably be plasma behind it too. There's always room for tweaking. It could start later into the plasma effect, or be based off skin temperature for example.

Edited by pizzaoverhead

Just now, LatiMacciato said:

aaaaaaaand ADDED! awesome mod (good find in reactivating Squad's features hehe)

lets hope this stays as stable :D

That's always the danger: Squad are cleaning up and removing old and unused things at the minute to make the game run better. This could be gone by the next release. Enjoy it while it lasts!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.