[1.6.1] Reentry Particle Effect 1.4 (2019-02-12)

pizzaoverhead

2 hours ago, theonegalen said:

I used it on 1.4, and I noticed the sparks, but I forgot to look back for the trail.

They definitely work, I keep ending up in said trail when I re-enter, so glad this works though, the new stock effects look horrid without this.

10 minutes ago, qwertyx2y said:

They definitely work, I keep ending up in said trail when I re-enter, so glad this works though, the new stock effects look horrid without this.

It looks way better, smoother. Thing is, when you have a heat shield in front of Mk1-3, you can't see much of it for some reason.

But yeah, I don't know why this feature doesn't become unlocked.

6 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

But yeah, I don't know why this feature doesn't become unlocked.

As a bit of background, t's not so much unlocking it as it is hooking it up to things and figuring out what works best. Squad would have to write some code and do some trial and error to set it up, rather than just checking a checkbox. Here's the code that was needed to get it up and running for this mod for instance. Numbers like EffectThreshold, PlaybackSpeed and MaxEmissionRate all needed to be tweaked to get something that looked ok.

As an example, you could make a pretty cool model of a solar sail, but it still needs all the logic that detects sunlight and creates thrust, otherwise it's just a pretty structural part.

It seems to "work" in 1.4.1, but not as well as it was in 1.3.1. For instance, the trail persists after the stock re-entry effect has stopped, and continues to exist, even when the craft is landed. Also happened when I EVA'd a Kerbal from a craft I'd forgotten to put a parachute on to test the new personal parachute. Landed just fine, but the trail still persisted on the ground. I wasn't able to recover the Kerbal as apparently it was still on a ladder, but that's a different issue.

I'll add on to the 1.4.1 discussion. The effects seem to be working well, however the trail seems to have a diameter of about 30-50 meters, which is way larger than it used to be. It looks like a huge tube of effects just following the ship.

Thanks so much for you work on this too! By far one of my favorite mods.

Hi :)

Does anyone have the same Display as me ? :P

The effect isn't too big? (it's ten times bigger than the MK1 pod :D ) (there were no issues on 1.3.1 :) )

1521901287-screenshot69.png

ps: Sorry didn't see the post just above mine :)

Edited by iceolator88

3 hours ago, iceolator88 said:

Hi :)

Does anyone have the same Display as me ? :P

The effect isn't too big? (it's ten times bigger than the MK1 pod :D ) (there were no issues on 1.3.1 :) )

I'm seeing the same issue. Other than the gigantic plasma trail, everything else seems to be working just fine with it. I'll admit though that the over-sized plasma trail takes away from the aesthetic of the mod somewhat.

Perhaps it has something to do with the way that the stock reentry effects were altered for the latest update? That's a complete guess.

KSP is doing crazy things when i reentry with a specific Part on the Rocket (Images are here and in my KSP Glitches Album)
A very Big Fire Thingy is light up, while watching near a Ship
gSh7Z0J.png
zooming out hide the Weird Fire
8SpFSTy.png

After a Super Secret Part exploded the spectacle ended:o

It's KSP 1.3.0 and i'm Trying to find out which part cause this Glitch
Edit:
I found out that a EAS-4 Struct connector cause the problem when it's attached to a Cubic Struct

Album a/nM4nZ will appear when post is submitted
Edited by SwissSpace93
It was the EAS-4 Struct connector

Appears to be a bug in 1.4.2 where the Re-Entry effects of other parts eg. a jettisoned stage will not fade out or disappear as the part either burns up or moves out of physics range and will remain visible all the way to the ground.

20 minutes ago, qwertyx2y said:

Appears to be a bug in 1.4.2 where the Re-Entry effects of other parts eg. a jettisoned stage will not fade out or disappear as the part either burns up or moves out of physics range and will remain visible all the way to the ground.

I'd love for the effect to still be visible outside of physics range, but they should probably fade as they explode.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2018 at 5:03 AM, taniwha said:

@pizzaoverhead: I think it still needs tuning, but I've sent you a PR that seems to fix the mod for KSP 1.4.2.

Your PR does seem to fix the particles persisting when they shouldn't have, which is great. There does still seem to be the problem where the particles are excessively large, but that's better than the streams persisting.

• 2 weeks later...

i like those "buged" left-over trails.. now i can see where my droptanks, stages etc where deleted. besides fixes itself after scene change anyways...

Sadly tho they move together with the ship..

Edited by Sisco

Got an interesting effect from the leftover trails in 1.4.3.  Jettisoned a stage out in front of me and was inside it's trail, it then exploded about 100 meters ahead of me, so the leftover trail was stuck right in front of me.  I ended up coming back up to about 65km, so my trail faded, but the trail from the other stage was still there, and almost backwards now from the distance I traveled.  The secondary trail stayed with me all the way to the ground (Even parachuting at 3 m/s) where it remained as a pillar of fire that my kerbal could walk around inside.

Edited by Sewer Urchin

12 minutes ago, T1mo98 said:

Any ETA on when both this and Collision FX might be updated? They're both pretty sweet. 

Or does anyone know a fix to make them both properly compatible with 1.4?

Please be patient, and don't pester the mod authors 

13 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Please be patient, and don't pester the mod authors 

I'm not pestering anyone. I asked a question. Since when is asking a question pestering someone? It's not like I'm ordering him to update the mod.

2 hours ago, T1mo98 said:

I'm not pestering anyone. I asked a question. Since when is asking a question pestering someone? It's not like I'm ordering him to update the mod.

Looks like you missed this: 

There has been plenty of discussion in this thread about the mod not working well in 1.4.x. The mod author visits the site regularly, so he's clearly aware.

Edited by leatherneck6017
clarity

2 hours ago, T1mo98 said:

Asking a question which has been asked before by others is pestering.

He is fully aware of the problems, he visits the forum regularly

18 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Asking a question which has been asked before by others is pestering.

He is fully aware of the problems, he visits the forum regularly

Well, my apologies. I will try to refrain from doing so again. 

Although I do have to correct you, since the PSA also says: "Please refrain from responding with advisory post, aka "You should not pester for mods" - as that would fall into "backseat moderation". Thanks! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.