[1.6.1] Reentry Particle Effect 1.4 (2019-02-12)

pizzaoverhead

9 hours ago, pizzaoverhead said:

Thanks! That's what I hope for all my mods: That Squad see them, are able to see the community response, try them out, see the level of work involved, and hopefully decide to add them or something like them to the base game.

sir, u earned a modding monday!
Hope its just in time... lets see.

2 hours ago, pizzaoverhead said:

That's always the danger: Squad are cleaning up and removing old and unused things at the minute to make the game run better. This could be gone by the next release. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Or not.. there are still many hidden features that Squad didn't removed (yet).

But if your mods can give these features at least some attention..

They might consider implementing it.

26 minutes ago, pizzaoverhead said:

I don't know of any reason that it wouldn't. It's likely to work with versions as far back as the 1.1 pre-release, maybe even before if you're super lucky. Write back if it works for you :)

can confirm it works in 1.1.2.

11 hours ago, pizzaoverhead said:

That's always the danger: Squad are cleaning up and removing old and unused things at the minute to make the game run better. This could be gone by the next release. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Couldn't you just re-make the textures yourself (that way you can't be C-R'd for stealing textures) and then re-package them with the mod for future releases if Squad scraps these awesome textures?

I know absolutely nothing about how things like this work, so I'm only assuming that it would be as easy as re-creating the textures (like having the originals open, and then re-creating them on your own in an editor of some kind), then re-pathing the mod so that it uses the textures that you made rather than the ones in the default files?

@pizzaoverhead I don't know, when I was launching a rocket I was going fast enough to just barely get a tiny bit of shock heating on the nose (couldn't even see it unless I zoomed and looked closely) and I was leaving a huge fiery streak across the sky. The sparks and such are fine at that point, it's just the huge trail. IMO it should only fade in when you're doing a very energetic reentry (2000m/s+). When it fits in it does look amazing, I just wish it didn't happen so easily.

Those Unity line renderer engine exhausts look sick though 

Edited by the_Demongod

I wish these effects could be in a destruction effects mod (kind of like BahaD's but the smoke trails are more realistic and stay on for a wwaaayyyyyyyyy *cough* longer time).

18 hours ago, SkyKaptn said:

Taking my F-16 out for a Sunday stroll with a newly fitted ramjet

That was a really big sonic "boom"

Update 1.1 is now available. It adjusts the re-entry effects to require harsher aerobraking to be visible. It now makes a good warning: If you see sparks and plasma effects, exposed parts are gonna have a Bad Time™.

38 minutes ago, Murican_Jeb said:

I wish these effects could be in a destruction effects mod (kind of like BahaD's but the smoke trails are more realistic and stay on for a wwaaayyyyyyyyy *cough* longer time).

That was a really big sonic "boom"

I love Destruction Effects! I actually looked into changing KSP's explosion effects, but they don't seem to be exposed for modding at the moment.

17 minutes ago, pizzaoverhead said:

Update 1.1 is now available. It adjusts the re-entry effects to require harsher aerobraking to be visible. It now makes a good warning: If you see sparks and plasma effects, exposed parts are gonna have a Bad Time™.

(My comment)

I love Destruction Effects! I actually looked into changing KSP's explosion effects, but they don't seem to be exposed for modding at the moment.

Maybe you can make these effects start when a part is overheated. The length of the trail should depend on how fast we are going. Could you do that? If you can't do, that's fine, but please try as hard as you can :cool:

7 hours ago, Sandriell said:

CKAN appears to be linked to the source code for this and not the release, all it downloaded was "ReentryParticleEffect.cs"

The CKAN listing is part of the CKAN repository; I have no more control over it than you do. As a result, issues with CKAN should go in the CKAN thread.

7 minutes ago, AndrewHere said:

In my opinion the fire trail its too long, you could try to resize it to half the size its now? it kinda looks unrealistic :D

Not really. It's a part of the effect itself. Besides, it's pretty close to reality. Check this out, the ATV is a tiny speck in the middle of the glowing area. The trail is huge!

ATV-4_burn-up.jpg

Edited by pizzaoverhead

I was wondering if someone would implement this, only to find out it was stock but disabled. Thank you kindly.

EDIT: I'd like to add that objects on entry ought to have a lens-flare (should be easy) that changes color with the strength of the heat flux being experienced (probably not so much), shifting towards blue (as shown by the ATV entry pic above) the hotter things get. The size of the flare should be proportional to both the object generating it and how fast its going. A busted chunk of a solar panel breaking away would at most glow a pale yellow, while the host craft it just broke away from would be a blazing white-blue sun.

Edited by Cyrious

9 hours ago, Cyrious said:

I was wondering if someone would implement this, only to find out it was stock but disabled. Thank you kindly.

EDIT: I'd like to add that objects on entry ought to have a lens-flare (should be easy)

I've always wanted a lens flare mod for KSP! Nice of you to volunteer! :P

3 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

Your mods continue to amaze me :confused: Excellent work as always!

Nice pictures! That realistic Kerbin makes the effects look much less realistic... That has me curious as to what something more realistic would look like. Flaming ATV for reference:

pc1FLGK.png

5 hours ago, pizzaoverhead said:

Nice pictures! That realistic Kerbin makes the effects look much less realistic... That has me curious as to what something more realistic would look like. Flaming ATV for reference:

pc1FLGK.png

Oh my god, please, this looks flipping amazing :0.0:

So, I went and did a fairly crazy test of the re-entry effects using about 24 decouplers and the Novapunch Freyja pod/module combo. This is the result:

cu9WJkZ.png

Framerates were nice and stable despite the fact there was nearly 30 different plasma trails active, so by all means feel free to grab and use it, it doesnt hurt anything and the effect is nice.

Now while it looks much better than the stock shader effect around the pod/burning part, I feel its missing a couple of things.

1: As previously mentioned, the part or ship undergoing entry needs a lens-flare or other sort of intense glow effect where it is that scales in color and brightness with the velocity of re-entry and the size of the object.

2: The plasma plume needs to change color along its length, starting with the ship/object flare color and rolling back to deep red along its length.

3: Unshielded objects above a certain size should have the option to spray out "debris"; short lived particles (anywhere from .1 to up to 2 seconds, with the color and brightness scaling with it's duration) released from the objects center of mass randomly that each create their own brief re-entry trail and fall behind the main object, fading out as they "burn up". Parts that explode during entry create a shower of such particles following the original vector and diverging from it slightly as they fade out. This could be controlled or disabled by a setting in its own menu (say, from the stock or Blizzy's toolbar).

Anyways, was just adding my .02c about it.

On 7/5/2016 at 5:13 AM, pizzaoverhead said:

Not really. It's a part of the effect itself. Besides, it's pretty close to reality. Check this out, the ATV is a tiny speck in the middle of the glowing area. The trail is huge!

I agree, the trails should be huge.  I watched the Shuttle reenter a number of times and the trail always went from horizon to horizon (in Texas and Louisiana, it flew right over my house when landing in Florida).  Of course, that was mostly smoke and/or contrail, which was always white or light gray, and it lasted for hours after the Shuttle was on the ground.  The actual fireball was pretty small in comparison, so maybe you could adjust the colors?

For example, one night when I lived in Waco, Texas, (with no trees to block the LOS) there was a full moon and not a cloud in the sky.  When I first saw the Shuttle, the live radio was saying it was just then crossing the coast of California.  At that time, it looked like a flagpole, a thin, bright, silver line pointing up from the western horizon with a small golden ball on the top.  As I watched, the "flagpole" grew in height and finally it started looking like it was bending over towards me.  Then it was obviously something flying over.  The plasma was still a golden sphere with some pink and blue around the edge, and the trail was gleaming silver in the moonlight, all the way back to the western horizon.  When the thing was halfway to the eastern horizon, it made its big S-turn over the Gulf of Mexico to line up on the runway in Florida.  The golden ball disappeared at that point but the trail continued for a ways longer, nearly touching the eastern horizon.  And it was there all the way back to the western horizon, starting to spread out some.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.