The Russians Play KSP in Real Life!

ansaman

About the only reason I'd even call that one Kerbal is because it hit the ground and exploded.  I'm surprised they didn't self-destruct it when it started going sideways.  After all, who knows where several tons of spacecraft was going to go when it went out of control like that.

Otherwise, there's nothing funny about it.  Spacecraft accidents aren't a bloody joke.  That one was unmanned, and that's the only reason anyone can crack a smile about it.  That's a lot of man-hours, a lot of money up in flames because of an accident.

I do not want to spoil anybodies fun, that said I probably shouldn't reply with a opinion I'm afraid is in a minority here (atleast to those eager to reply), nor am I to judge others to make fun of others expense. If they're willing to do that, fine, I can't help them.

What I can tell you is that if this was a American or European rocket, the topic title would be one of despair, and the replies that of condolences.

Only because the rocket is russian and the so called accident looks like a tumbling KSP rocket is it all of a sudden funny. Putting this online as a joke I find rather pathetic. The money, the dedication by the same space enthusiasts are lost in few blinks of an eye, not funny! But suit yourself, I hope one lands somewhere you don't want it to.

Edited by Vaporized Steel

This happened because an engineer put some of the guidance sensors in backwards.

By July 9, it is transpired that investigators sifting through the wreckage of the doomed rocket had found critical angular velocity sensors, DUS, installed upside down. Each of those sensors had an arrow that was suppose to point toward the top of the vehicle, however multiple sensors on the failed rocket were pointing downward instead.

source: http://www.russianspaceweb.com/proton_glonass49.html

Well, the argument that it's not funny because of the time, effort and expense etc that went into it is fair.   It would of course be devastating for the engineers to see their work go up in smoke (well it was actually meant to go UP - just not back down again straight away).

That said, sad though it was to see all that effort amount to a huge fireball,  I did find it funny to watch because it did look a lot like many of my failed KSP launches.  

Had people got physically harmed by the crash then naturally that would have made a huge difference. 

The point I'm trying to make is that no matter how serious any situation may be, there will always be a 'funny side' or a moment of humour somewhere to take the edge off, but that does not mean that the gravity of the situation is not appreciated or understood. 

4 hours ago, Vaporized Steel said:

What I can tell you is that if this was a American or European rocket, the topic title would be one of despair, and the replies that of condolences. 

Naw, I'd laugh even harder if it was American.

51 minutes ago, pandaman said:

Had people got physically harmed by the crash then naturally that would have made a huge difference. 

Yes, physical pain/injury is quite funny and would have made me laugh even harder.

35 minutes ago, Jimbo Jangles said:
1 hour ago, pandaman said:

Yes, physical pain/injury is quite funny and would have made me laugh even harder

So Columbia and Challenger were funny, were they? 

I'm sorry, but if they can't figure out which way to put a part on that has an arrow on it pointing which way to put it on, then this is very, very Kerbal. I understand what some of you are saying, this is a very big waste of resources and is sad. But, sometimes, we have to laugh at the stupid mistakes we make. And, I completely and totally disagree that this being a Russian rocket has anything to do with the fact that someone is poking fun. Americans also do plenty of stupid stuff to poke fun at, along with everyone else.  It's all part of being human. Sure, learn from your mistakes, try to do better next time, but don't take yourself too seriously. That is how ulcers form.

17 hours ago, mythbusters844 said:

oh yes, a rocket and satellite whose engineers painstakingly worked on and prayed for success failed catastrophically and exploded, and it's just so fantastically kerbal, and the joke is just so totally original, fresh, and funny

Well, nobody got killed. And most rocket launched do fail with an explosion mid-air, either from the catastrophe or by a range self-destruct.

This one though, with the rocket going sideways, doing a flip, and going boom on impact, definitely had a very uncanny Kerbal similarity.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Jangles said:

I sure thought so. Are you challenging me to make a Challenger joke? I'm up to the challenge!

That's NOT funny. If you can't show respect for the dead, keep your damn mouth shut.

This on the other hand was. Sure a lot of effort went into it, but it's funny when someone knocks down the house of cards they've spent all afternoon building. It'd be even funnier if they somehow wrecked it by putting a card in sideways, making it do a flip!

It'd be just as funny anywhere, too. :s

13 minutes ago, Jimbo Jangles said:

I sure thought so. Are you challenging me to make a Challenger joke? I'm up to the challenge!

Do you think it was funny for the astronauts and their families, eh? No, it wasn't, show some respect for them, Challenger, Columbia, or anything else involving injury, pain, or loss of life is NOT funny at all.

Edited by DolphinDude3

It's sometimes funny when KSP rockets blow up. It's sometimes heartbreaking, too.

Real rockets are different, they represent tremendous investment and energy from real people whose careers and even lives are on the line. Failures such as this one are disastrous even if no life is lost.

While it's understood that some people's senses of humor are darker than others, this forum really isn't the place for deriving amusement from the misfortune of others. Closed.