The Paper Airplane Challenge

8 minutes ago, AeroGav said:

Just an observation guys,  I reckon you're losing some glide distance by using SAS.   This holds a constant nose angle but not a constant AoA, and in the videos i'm seeing people make corrections with manual input (on keyboard).  

I say turn SAS off and fly it with pitch trim instead.    Bring up the aero data gui with alt F-12 so you can find the optimum AoA for best lift/drag ratio,  and add/remove pitch trim till you're getting the best numbers. 

Also you won't get the drag from the full control surface deflections that direct keyboard control brings, though you can probably ameliorate that by "limit authority" in the tweakables (nobody's doing any aerobatics are they..)

No SAS on mine!  It isn't even installed. I set up the Atmosphere Autopilot for a (semi) constant rate of descent.  I adjust to keep airspeed constant.  So long as I'm in the -1 to -2m/s range and not accelerating, it was seeming to glide forever.

With my method spelled out... I made no attempt to optimize my aircraft.  Being a paper airplane challenge, I thought I should model a paper airplane.  If the actual challenge was max glide with only 16 sepratrons, my aircraft would have looked much different. 

26 minutes ago, AeroGav said:

Just an observation guys,  I reckon you're losing some glide distance by using SAS.   This holds a constant nose angle but not a constant AoA, and in the videos i'm seeing people make corrections with manual input (on keyboard).  

I say turn SAS off and fly it with pitch trim instead.    Bring up the aero data gui with alt F-12 so you can find the optimum AoA for best lift/drag ratio,  and add/remove pitch trim till you're getting the best numbers. 

Also you won't get the drag from the full control surface deflections that direct keyboard control brings, though you can probably ameliorate that by "limit authority" in the tweakables (nobody's doing any aerobatics are they..)

If you watch my original challenge video, you'll see that all I had was control surfaces. No SAS. Valentina and Jebediah both insisted that the pilot have some control over the aircraft. 

Please have fun with this challenge and post your results here. If enough people start posting here I'll update the thread to reflect current leaders.

6 hours ago, greydragon70 said:

If you watch my original challenge video, you'll see that all I had was control surfaces. No SAS. Valentina and Jebediah both insisted that the pilot have some control over the aircraft. 

Please have fun with this challenge and post your results here. If enough people start posting here I'll update the thread to reflect current leaders.

@daniel911t  by SAS,  I don't mean reaction wheels.      I mean "Stability Assist" autopilot thing that comes with the stock game's navball. 

Lift drag ratio is dependent on AoA and mach number,  SAS does a very poor job of holding a constant AoA.   The airplane will do a better job of maintaining its own if you just turn that off and use pitch trim.

Alrighty, this is the best run from my borrowed design:

OPJmMBG.png

The Barnaby Flier. This paper airplane design originates from Captain Ralph S. Barnaby, USAF (b1893 d1986). In 1967 this plane won top prize in Aerobatics Professional category,  International Paper Airplane Contest.

My Kerbal version did well.

oICE5Ji.png

Total glide distance: 43 km
Max height: 2.993 km
Sepratrons: Maximum as per rules, 4 of them are at 100% thrust, rest are set at 77%
Parts: All stock.
Plugins: Pilot Assistant (for obtaining optimum speed/descent), Latest TakeCommand plug-in (simplifies getting a Kerbal in the drivers seat).

Heck of a challenge. I really enjoyed the skill level to make a viable long distance glider.

Edited by GDJ

• 3 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.