Jump to content

Running List: Simple Suggestions


Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

The blue line in map view that shows you your orbit.  I would love to have that when you're focused in on the vessel.

How would you use that? Wouldn't that just be whatever is dead ahead when looking prograde?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Geonovast said:

The blue line in map view that shows you your orbit.  I would love to have that when you're focused in on the vessel.

The trajectories mod now has that. You see a line from prograde, following your trajectory down to the surface. There really isn't much to see, it's not useful at all since the perspective from the craft shows a mostly straight, short line.

The landing/impact marker on the surface in flight mode is somewhat useful though

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

The landing/impact marker on the surface in flight mode is somewhat useful though

That's pretty much what I'm after.  Couldn't care less about the line in orbit, but for landing where I want.  I'll look into the mod.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SnailsAttack said:

Not sure if it's been listed here but I'd definitely appreciate the ability to dump fuel and other resources that aren't needed and just subtract from your ship's delta v.

Oxidizer... I'm looking at you!  ;-D

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SnailsAttack said:

Not sure if it's been listed here but I'd definitely appreciate the ability to dump fuel and other resources that aren't needed and just subtract from your ship's delta v.

How about an "active cooling" tile? Functions like an ablative heat shield, but instead of consuming ablator it consumes other resources from your ship, and you can surface attach it to heat-shield other parts. I'm tired of being stuck with circular heat shields and no heat-resistant structural parts.

Like the Convert-O-Trons, it would have toggles to select which resource to use. Different resources would have different heat-sink capabilities. It would have an activate/deactive toggle and a "dump rate" slider at the top, which allows you to choose how rapidly to dump your selected resource (from 0 to 100), and a toggle to choose whether dumping is done manually or automatically.

Then you could use it to dump non-essential resources, or you could use it to build a regenerative heat shield.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

How about an "active cooling" tile? Functions like an ablative heat shield, but instead of consuming ablator it consumes other resources from your ship, and you can surface attach it to heat-shield other parts. I'm tired of being stuck with circular heat shields and no heat-resistant structural parts.

Like the Convert-O-Trons, it would have toggles to select which resource to use. Different resources would have different heat-sink capabilities. It would have an activate/deactive toggle and a "dump rate" slider at the top, which allows you to choose how rapidly to dump your selected resource (from 0 to 100), and a toggle to choose whether dumping is done manually or automatically.

Then you could use it to dump non-essential resources, or you could use it to build a regenerative heat shield.

That's a cool idea. Another I've seen from a mod is the injection of oxidizer in nuclear engines to give them a colossal increase in thrust at the expense of ISP. Anyways, that'd be a good alternate use for the stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SnailsAttack said:

god yes the damn oxidizer that i keep carrying on my nuclear engine rockets lol

Would seem like there'd be some way to maybe dump the oxidizer into the nuke engine exhaust for some sort of an afterburner effect?  ...maybe get a little thrust boost in the process.  With no detrimental effect on liquid fuel use of course.

Edited by XLjedi
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

Would seem like there'd be some way to maybe dump the oxidizer into the nuke engine exhaust for some sort of an afterburner effect?  ...maybe get a little thrust boost in the process.  With no detrimental effect on liquid fuel use of course.

No, that would likely reduce the specific impulse because the exhaust gases would have a much higher molar mass (18 instead of 2 g/mol assuming Hydrolox)

 

edit: wait, you said afterburner, so you want more thrust, not more ISP. Ok, you might get more thrust

Edited by Physics Student
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SnailsAttack said:

That's a cool idea. Another I've seen from a mod is the injection of oxidizer in nuclear engines to give them a colossal increase in thrust at the expense of ISP. Anyways, that'd be a good alternate use for the stuff.

Yeah, a LANTR would be really nice. I would like to see a 2.5-meter LANTR with "wet" and "dry" modes, plus the ability to run only the alternator (since it is, after all, a nuclear reactor), albeit with the need for cooling radiators. The "dry" vacuum TWR wouldn't be as good as the LV-N, but the "wet" TWR would be nearly as high as bipropellant engines, both in-atmosphere and out (albeit at a lower isp....like 500s or so). Then you could use the alternator to power ion engines when you're far from Kerbol.

If they introduced "active cooling" tiles, they'd have to be procedural to a degree. You'd lay one down, and then connect other tiles to it, and once you launch, the connected tiles all merge into a single part with a single set of tweakables.

3 minutes ago, Physics Student said:

No, that would likely reduce the specific impulse because the exhaust gases would have a much higher molar mass (18 instead of 2 g/mol assuming Hydrolox)

Yes, LOX-afterburning in nuclear thermal rockets boosts thrust dramatically but hurts specific impulse.

In the real-world, it would be trivial to build an SSTO with lox-afterburning nuclear thermal rocket engines, if it weren't for all the pesky people complaining about dumping nuclear waste into the atmosphere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Physics Student said:

No, that would likely reduce the specific impulse because the exhaust gases would have a much higher molar mass (18 instead of 2 g/mol assuming Hydrolox)

edit: wait, you said afterburner, so you want more thrust, not more ISP. Ok, you might get more thrust

If you afterburn a certain amount of LOX along with your primary fuel in a nuclear thermal rocket engine, your average isp will be lower than if you burned only your primary fuel, but your net dV will be greater than if you merely dumped the LOX separately.

If you inject water into nuclear thermal rocket engine exhaust your net dV will be identical to what it would be if you dumped the water separately. However, your thrust will be higher during the H2O injection.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Wcmille said:

What do others think about [ and ] not cycling between flags and debris, but then adding <Special>+[ or <Special>+] to cycle amongst all types (in case you really want to cycle across all that stuff).

Totally emphatically YES!!! 

Especially when you try to switch through some debris and can't get back to the original ship or your intended target because stuff moved! (or no apparent reason at all...)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm playing on a PS4 console. How about some more early game science gathering tools.

-sample scoop.

-radiation detector.

-IR scan.

-Snack scanners.

As far as other game play options, I'd like to be able to use RCS thrusters for fine detailed manoeuvres/course corrections while in map mode. 

As for other contracts that might be available, how about being contracted to launch a pre-built Hubble, Kepler or Webb telescopes in specific orbits. That might have to be repaired later on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...