how do you get to mun?

13 minutes ago, EliteGuy3 said:

Do you mean to actually go to the Mün? Or do you want to mess around on the Mün?

Ha! Yeah, like really annoy it. Stupid Mun.

Edited by Bigbootie
"Liquid it off" Really?! Reworded.

2 hours ago, parv kerman said:

how do you get to mun? Your standard way.

1) expend a lot of effort throwing yourself into it's path

2) spend no effort at all while intentionally missing it for a while

3) give up trying to miss it, and with a sigh and a puff, hit it

Isn't that everyone's standard?

When I launch to the Mun, sometimes I also want to deliver an empty fuel tank to LKO at the same time. So on those occasions I just do a simple launch to LKO, decouple my Mun rocket upper stage from the empty fuel tank, and make a maneuver node the standard way to get me the rest of the way to the Mun.

But most of the time I do like MDZhB and just launch straight up when I'm 40 to 60 degrees ahead of the Mun. It's very fast, easy, and efficient.

Get into orbit, open map view and orient so that the Mun is in about the two o'clock position and burn to push my apoapsis out to the 12 o'clock position when my vehicle is at 6 o'clock. I may or may not use a manoeuvre node , depending how I'm feeling.

I burn an obscene amount of fuel while actiavely directing the exhaust until I get into the Mun's SOI. Then the pilot is unemployed when he gets back because the Kerbin fuel market crashed from burning all that fuel. I like wasting fuel. ^_^

Burn at the night side with about 3-4 thousand delta-V in your ship, and remember, burn straight up! Just kidding, burning straight up isn't super efficient, burn at about a 30-40 degree angle help breaks the bonds of Kerbin's gravity.

On 5/7/2016 at 1:52 PM, parv kerman said:

how do you get to mun? Your standard way.

With a rocket !

Your question could be more specific : what part you don't grasp ? There are plenty of tutorial video on youtube about going to the Mun.

• 2 weeks later...

I make a rocket in the shape of the Apollo 11. I use a couple of mods. One of the parts is a space from 2.5m to 3.75 m with Liquid fuel and oxidiser in it. Here are just a few details.

I use 3 parachutes.

I use 4 1x6 solar panels on my service module and 4 lights

I use 5 vector engines for stage 1, not a single mammoth engine. ( More thrust and vector power )

I use a gravity assist.

Ok when I'm not doing SSTOs, I launch into orbit, burn prograde when the Mun is on the horizon, burn retrograde at Mun PE to circularize and do a super in-efficient landing. Then I take off, and turn to 45 degrees almost immediately. Once high enough, I turn to the horizon and get the AP to about 10km. Then I circularize and do a prograde burn retrograde to the planet's rotation. Then ditch remaining fuel tanks before re-entering. Turn off SAS when I hit the atmosphere and re-enter safely.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.