can I add a docking port to a ship already in orbit

Ok, I screwed up... I feel like an idiot.  I launched a space station into orbit, and when I tried to dock a fuel tank to it, I kept bouncing off.  I realized that I never added docking ports to the node..... Is there any way to add them to the station already in orbit, or am I totally screwed?

Thanks

Heh, don't worry, that sort of thing happens to everyone. :wink:

To answer your question: Not in the stock game, sorry. You're out of luck there.

There's a mod that addresses this kind of situation, however, called Kerbal Inventory System (KIS for short). It lets an engineer with a power tool attach parts to vessels in flight, making this sort of field repair work possible. Lots of fun. :)

HyperEdit could help you, but only if you are strong willed not to use it for it's intended purpose.
Use it to land the "station" back on the runway, recover it. Rebuild the station in SPH/VAB to the exacts same specifications(last auto-saved ship is wonderful), remember to set fuel limits and stuff to the original thing you had in space...then hyperedit it back into orbit. Nothing gained, nothing lost
...did you remember the docking port this time? :P

KIS would be a lot more fun, it feels like a repair mission because of our own human errors(like the first days of Hubble). But I use HE to save my program for all other bugs(ever increasing Ap, docking port not undocking, solar panels inside fairing broken on smooth accent, Mun base landing legs not deploying because they were "stowed" in a fairing a few months ago, etc.)

21 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

@OSUAV8R 2 mods: Kerbal Inventory System and Kerbal Attachment System. Better than the kraken bait that is Hyperedit OR the claw. Safest Option is KIS/KAS :)

Is hyperedit seriously kraken bait? :sealed:
I haven't had a single problem with it. In fact i have been using it to fix all the other kraken issues i encounter. I do however do intermediate steps with it(first edit to orbit, then edit to destination orbit, then land/rendevous wherever the craft originally was)

The claw might be a good stock solution...if it was fixed this update. Just leave a docking port on the back of the claw, but be careful since that connection will be flimsy for large craft

21 minutes ago, bewing said:

I use the klaw constantly. It has been perfectly stable since 1.1.0. If you want a pure stock solution to this kind of problem, the klaw is the only one.

on thing i experienced with the claw: i was NOT able to transfer LF/OX while clawed.

Monoprop was fine. is that normal?

4 hours ago, OSUAV8R said:

Ok, I screwed up... I feel like an idiot.  I launched a space station into orbit, and when I tried to dock a fuel tank to it, I kept bouncing off.  I realized that I never added docking ports to the node..... Is there any way to add them to the station already in orbit, or am I totally screwed?

Thanks

As @AlamoVampire said: for a persistent station i'd suggest KIS & KAS as well, since u are able to add struts wit the docked ship... and it adds to the "lego-like-feeling" :D

6 minutes ago, Speadge said:

on thing i experienced with the claw: i was NOT able to transfer LF/OX while clawed.

Monoprop was fine. is that normal?

No, something screwey happened then. You can always transfer anything when klawed.

There's two easy things to do here (They were already mentioned but I'm going to say it anyway):

1 - Get KAS and KIS.  This allows an Engineer to attach and detach objects on a ship from ANYWHERE.  It will help you along the way.

2 - If you're uncomfortable with modding (which isn't uncommon), you can try to use a claw.  Idk if you can transfer resources (I've never used them, I like docking ports more) but it's the only stock option I can think of.

Thanks everyone.. gonna give it a try :)

update...  I downloaded both no problem...  I launch KSP from the Launcher... so in theory its looking for updates... when I run KSP its V1.1.2  the mods say I need 1.1.3....  but I am not given an option to update...

Do I have to update off the KSP website?  will I love everything if I do that?

Edited by OSUAV8R

13 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

\KIS would be a lot more fun, it feels like a repair mission because of our own human errors(like the first days of Hubble). But I use HE to save my program for all other bugs(ever increasing Ap, docking port not undocking, solar panels inside fairing broken on smooth accent, Mun base landing legs not deploying because they were "stowed" in a fairing a few months ago, etc.)

Hey Blaarkies...can HE lock an orbit down that's experiencing the twitchy drift that we're seeing in 1.1.2/1.1.3? Just wondering.

4 hours ago, OSUAV8R said:

update...  I downloaded both no problem...  I launch KSP from the Launcher... so in theory its looking for updates... when I run KSP its V1.1.2  the mods say I need 1.1.3....  but I am not given an option to update...

Do I have to update off the KSP website?  will I lose everything if I do that?

I assume you bought the program originally off the website? Not steam? If you bought it from the website, you have to update it from the website.

And no, when you update everything is saved.

3 hours ago, bewing said:

I assume you bought the program originally off the website? Not steam? If you bought it from the website, you have to update it from the website.

And no, when you update everything is saved.

When I download the new version from the website not steam... I just end up having a second copy on my computer (Mac)...  is it possible to copy certain folders to the new version to preserve my stuff from the old version?

Edited by OSUAV8R

9 hours ago, tjt said:

Hey Blaarkies...can HE lock an orbit down that's experiencing the twitchy drift that we're seeing in 1.1.2/1.1.3? Just wondering.

No. Unfortunately you will need to manually set the orbit back periodically(its easy, takes like 3 clicks).

I am still experiencing weirdness at my Mun station, it seems like phantom forces pushing the station away when i come in for docking(forgot to check my Ap/Pe for changes). Maybe it is just tidal forces, but my RCS thrusters sometimes cant even keep up(when docking there, i have to come in like a wrecking ball :P)

12 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

No. Unfortunately you will need to manually set the orbit back periodically(its easy, takes like 3 clicks).

Thanks...1.1.3 is better than 1.1.2, but I've held off on my base construction projects because of this bug.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.