add size zero farings

I have never needed 0.625 meter fairings, but ui have always wanted a heat shield in that size. All of my small atmospheric drop probes are forced to have a giant heat shield and fairing, adding unneeded mass and volume. 

There is nothing in the game that would fit inside it.  Your fairing is supposed to be one size larger than the parts you are using for the payload.  For 0.625m probes, you use a 1.25m fairing.

3 minutes ago, Alshain said:

There is nothing in the game that would fit inside it.  Your fairing is supposed to be one size larger than the parts you are using for the payload.  For 0.625m probes, you use a 1.25m fairing.

I disagree. You could possibly cram a rectangular probe core and an RTG inside one

3 minutes ago, The Optimist said:

I disagree. You could possibly cram a rectangular probe core and an RTG inside one

So they would add an entire fairing for one probe core which can't even have fuel or propulsion, or batteries?  Sorry, but that would be a wasted effort and a waste of RAM space.

Edited by Alshain

14 minutes ago, Alshain said:

So they would add an entire fairing for one probe core which can't even have fuel or propulsion, or batteries?  Sorry, but that would be a wasted effort and a waste of RAM space.

you can clip batteries into the probe core, and maybe a radial monoprop tank and a few rcs thrusters

1 minute ago, The Optimist said:

You do realize you can stretch the fairing out, right? It doesn't have to be only 0.625 meters wide.

But why?  The 1.25m fairing works just fine for 0.625m probes and it's not like you are going to put that probe on a 0.625m launcher.  Again, there is no need for this, and it would be very limited and serve almost no use at all.  We have enough useless parts already in the game, we don't need more.

I suppose for 'completeness' it makes sense to have them (and heatshield), but it's not a biggy either way.  As @Alshain rightly said they could be of relatively limited use, but still of 'some' use (for some players at least) and it is only 1 or 2 extra parts which add to the size ranges of already existing sets of parts, so yes, why not?.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8.7.2016 at 3:40 AM, Alshain said:

Fairing tend to be up to two times the diameter of the base, base is the size of upper or core stage. an 0.65 meter fairing base could hold payloads a bit wider than an meter.
However it would require an 0.625 meter core stage to make sense. 

I can see some good use for spark/twitch propelled 0.625m launch vehicles. Often I find myself launching multiple tiny probes at once on occasions when I do require probes, because even the smallest of my standard launch vehicles has a far greater payload capacity than most probes require. An 0.625m fairing would be a nice addition to the game.

19 minutes ago, Columbia said:

Who said it had to always be used in just satellites?

I'd personally like one for other aesthetic purposes.

Some people can't or won't look beyond the original scope of the game. To each his/her own. I know for a fact some people at Squad are interested in engineering and love what people do beyond the whole space thing. While the game and space is great ... after 3 years I got really bored and started to do something different: engineering. I don't have to explain myself further :-)

Anyway ... IMO the key is to keep the bored gamers in after they've lost interest in the space game while keeping the active ones satisfied. And yeah ... that's increasingly complex.

What kind of purpose would that serve? Fairings are not required to reenter an atmosphere (unles you simply want them to look cool in their aeroshell), and launching a 0.625m launcher to launch a 0.625m payload that can do almost nothing seems like a fruitless endeavor to me except for maybe bragging rights.

If a single part is being argued against on the grounds of too many parts and not enough RAM then it seems time for the game to have a way of excluding parts from being loaded at startup to make streamlined installs for the people who play KSP on a potato so everyone else can have all the sizes of fairing base.

Or we make the fairing base procedural and have all the sizes for less RAM and less parts...

There is a number of parts missing from the 0.625m list.  It would be great to have them all and I'm sure I'd find a use for them.  

I'd be nice to start the game off with 0.625m sounding-style rockets. Mini cargo bay for the tiny experiments, etc.

1 hour ago, John FX said:

If a single part is being argued against on the grounds of too many parts and not enough RAM then it seems time for the game to have a way of excluding parts from being loaded at startup to make streamlined installs for the people who play KSP on a potato so everyone else can have all the sizes of fairing base.

Forget about potato pc's and them lagging behind.  KSP now needs to take into account the limited fixed RAM of the consoles as well. Perhaps not loading everything should be considered since Squad is continuing to add parts.

11 hours ago, klesh said:

There is a number of parts missing from the 0.625m list.  It would be great to have them all and I'm sure I'd find a use for them.  

I'd be nice to start the game off with 0.625m sounding-style rockets. Mini cargo bay for the tiny experiments, etc.

Forget about potato pc's and them lagging behind.  KSP now needs to take into account the limited fixed RAM of the consoles as well. Perhaps not loading everything should be considered since Squad is continuing to add parts.

My preferred option would be to go the low RAM and low part count method of procedural parts, then ALL the fairing bases would take the RAM of one, also only one part would need to be displayed. If you would like a mini cargo bay then you could have it and the RAM footprint would be lower than now.

My suggestion to not load everything was not a serious one, dynamic part loading would be much better, procedural parts better still.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.