The Kerbal Inter-Planetary Infrastructure (KIPI)

Welcome to The Kerbal Inter-Planetary Infrastructure (KIPI)

What is KIPI?

KIPI is an attempt at a grand project to provide the infrastructure to let any Kerbal travel from any body in the Kerbol system to any other body in the Kerbol system, and land on those bodies where there is actually a chance of launching again.

What is the plan then?

Stage 1: The Kerbin System

• Phase 1: Set-up Communication Sattelites around Kerbin, Mun and Minmus - Complete!
  • Phase 2: Transfer/Fuelling Stations around Kerbin, Mun and Minmus - Underway.
  • Phase 3: Bases on Mun and Minmus

Stage 2: Duna and Eve

• Phase 1: Set up Comm-Sats around Duna/Ike, Eve/Gilly
  • Phase 2: Expand Kerbin Transfer Station
  • Phase 3: Transfer Stations around Duna/Ike, Eve/Gilly
  • Phase 4: Bases on Duna, Ike and Gilly
  • Phase 5: Add re-fuelling capability

Stage 3: Not yet planned

What mods are you using?

Main mods are:

• Cryogenic Engines
  • Kopernicus with Outer Planets pack
  • The Near Future suite
  • Remote Tech
  • Procedural Parts
  • Procedural Fairings
  • Stock Visual Enhancement (among other prettiness mods)
  • USI Life Support and Kolonization mods
  • Ven's Stock Part Revamp

Show me some pictures!

The Launch Vehicles for the project are in the pictures below. I have kept them deliberately simple and am not very imaginative with names. They can get anything from 0.5 tonnes to 150 tonnes into LKO.

Stage 1: Phase 1 is underway...

Edited by Julexus Quandem

Stage 1: Phase 1

The setting up of the communications network around Kerbin, Mun and Minmus is now complete. 

The Kerbin Comms Network was done in 4 launches, putting 4 satellites into Keostationary orbit above the equator. Each satellite was launched on an LV-2 launcher:

leGB756.png

The second stage in action:

dAypBOD.png

The satellite engines, used for reaching the final orbital positions, are Gyro-Two Hall Thrusters from Near-Future Propulsion. They were chosen because they look cool and allowed for very fine-tuning of the orbits:

FSstbSs.png

One of the satellites in its final position:

jYNt8ks.png

The complete network around Kerbin:

habD5kj.png

The Mun and Minmus Comms Networks were launched on 2 booster-less LV-10s, each launching 3 satellites each for Minmus and Mun. A small transfer stage can be seen between the launch vehicle and the fairing. The Mun launch was done at night:

5eyCJJA.png

One of the Comm Sats at the Mun:

86mhohd.png

And finally pictures of the completed Mun and Minmus networks as well as an overview of the whole Kerbin system:

OmnQHei.png

fjGEy5L.png

LxSFqJE.png

The next stage is to put stations into orbit of all 3 bodies, and to design craft that can get from ground-to-orbit (and back) as well as between Kerbin and Mun/Minmus.

Thank you for the replies and likes :)

@TotallyNotHuman_ I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the signal-delay feature enabled, it may cause issues further out from Kerbin. There's a detailed tutorial here: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:RemoteTech2

Stage 1: Phase 2: Kerbin

I've built the Kerbin Transfer and Fuelling Station, as well as designed an SSTO to get to it from Kerbin.

The SSTO isn't a spaceplane as I'm not very good at them, instead it's this monster:

3WT8y8k.png

I managed to get it into orbit, not yet checked whether it has enough delta-v to dock with the station. Carries 4 Kerbals.

tEfaoQU.png

On re-entry:

otnfvD4.png

Parachutes out:

G32S178.png

Landed safely:

Wecoz6Q.png

The Kerbin Transfer Station was built in 5 stages. First the core went up. This included batteries, habitation for 11 kerbals, as well as life-support and a large RCS tank.
OkkO62D.pngNFImUQq.png

Next were the two docking arms, which also include the massive solar panels:

4dT0GrM.png

Not the easiest to dock:

WNdRjlu.png

And finally the two fuelling arms were launched and docked:

Nj4TLPC.png

The completed station:

SA0stAK.png

MziBbv9.png

rwipc2q.png

The next stage is to check I can dock the SSTO with the station and then to build stations above Mun and Minmus, as well as the craft to transfer between all 3 stations.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid this project will have to be put on hold for the time being. I had hoped that with 64-bit KSP that I would now be able to run with the mods needed to do this project, but I'm now getting complete lock-ups (ie having to reboot my PC) every second launch. It may be one of the recent mod updates, but I'm using so many that it's difficult to find out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.