Signs You're In for a Short Flight

Corona688

48 minutes ago, Corona688 said:

FYI, RCS thrusters -- and parachutes -- can both operate without power as long as a kerbal's in the pod.  Purely mechanical.  That's saved me a couple times.

I know, but when I tried to de-orbit, my RCS ran out, because I was using it to do maneuvers earlier. 

Just now, Alchemist said:

If you ship is light enough, you may be in for a long dance. Kerbal folk dance - the dance around the docking port.

I once actually docked with no RCS. It did feel like i was dancing!

The radiators draw too much power when they're out, so by habit you retract them when coasting. Then you fire up your tightly packed cluster of 16 NERVs for a 40 min burn, ...and by habit you forget to extend the radiators before you leave to watch TV.

You know you're in for a short flight when...

...you realize at 3 km that one of your LFO boosters is draining fuel twice as fast as all of the others.

...you begin your takeoff from the Mun by pressing "stage," just like you always do on the launch pad (but here, it blows the decoupler holding you to the only remaining engine).

...you accidentally hit 'tab' one too many times and overshoot the target planet in map view...so you hit 'shift-tab' to go back.

...you build a low-tech rocket using a probe core and 1.25m crew cabin for LKO rescue contracts, then realize in orbit that there's no door into the cabin.

On 7/7/2016 at 2:30 AM, XB-70A said:

When you tear your hairs out while looking at the uncompleted checklist of your first contract asking to place a satellite with a "material bay" in orbit, until you realize its the codename for the Science Jr. pod and NOT the Service Bay you put instead.

IKR, One time I did that assuming that the material bay was a service bay turning out it's just science jr

For me it is when you press space to launch and your craft just falls to the ground because the engines are not in the right stage.

Or at the same point the engines fire fine but the payload separates as well.

Or just after launch you realise the probe core is upside down.

On 7/10/2016 at 1:12 AM, maceemiller said:

When your ready to go, hit the space bar and.........the launch clamps let go but the engines remain silent.......

I hate that too, but I usually have enough clearance under the engines to slap the spacebar again before it hits the pad. Usually....

On 7/18/2016 at 3:16 PM, Zophos said:

..you begin your takeoff from the Mun by pressing "stage," just like you always do on the launch pad (but here, it blows the decoupler holding you to the only remaining engine).

Which is why I always quicksave before leaving another planet or moon...

Your wings decide to go on strike for more pay and shorter working hours...at 30km altitude going 1400 m/s,

You wonder why the craft is taking so long to get airborn, and realize you forgot to set takeoff thrust to 100%.

Your only available pilot is a tourist.

You nose up to start your wet burn and your craft starts doing backflips.

You enter orbit with twice as much oxidizer as liquid fuel.

Your spaceplane decides for no apparent reason to stop defying gravity and tumbles out of the sky.

Edited by dire

When you are rolling down the runway and your wings start producing downforce instead of lift.

Also, when your shuttle needs help from  two pairs of Sepatrons to perform a landing flare.

4 hours ago, bzimac said:

Also, when your shuttle needs help from  two pairs of Sepatrons to perform a landing flare.

That's not much worse than the real shuttle, which had to deploy a drogue chute seconds before touchdown in order to slow down enough.

On 7/21/2016 at 5:56 PM, dire said:

You wonder why the craft is taking so long to get airborn, and realize you forgot to set takeoff thrust to 100%.

This. So much this.

I thought I was the only victim of this problem.

When you separate a booster and it slides down the side of the rocket and takes the main engine out.

A very Kerbal reason to invest in clustering...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.