Going from GTX 750 ti to GTX 970

322997am

Well, KSP is mostly CPU-dependant, not so much GPU, and really likes that one core, so opting for Intel CPUs is probably the best.

However, you will most likely only see the difference on the GPU side if you install a bunch of visual enchancement mods.Moving from the 750 Ti to the 970 is a huge leap, so you will most probably see a huge difference in performance with visual mods, if you have some installed that is.Otherwise, there will be some improvement in performance, but not by that much.

However, the value of the 970 is decreasing drastically, so opting for something like AMDs RX 480 will be better: similar or better performance with a similar TDP for almost $50-$100 less!

Edited by Candlelight

5 hours ago, radonek said:

I recently moved from much worse card (GTX275) to 970 and I can't tell any difference. Not in KSP that is :-)

Woah dude, the 200 series! Altough it's like 7-8 years old by now, the higher end of the 200s still performs decently, like on a 750 Ti level.

Much more important is that you have a decent intel i5 or i7 from the latest generation all the way down to old ivybridge. Older intels are still good but not recommended.

Do you not use visual mods? (ofourse you are, guess, guess)

If you do. A high end graphics card over a medium graphics and your extra performance will be negligible but noticeable. A very high end card over a high end card...

Well, make sure you buy yourself a microscope and some benchmarking tools to be able to tell any performance difference. You would be very sensible and over critical if you were to see any satisfying increase.

Please do buy the card. I just hope you play any other games where this power will be used.

2 minutes ago, 322997am said:

I do not use visual mods and my CPU is 3.9 ghz i5

then upgrading will most likely bring no benefit at all, since i doubt that stock will need more than a gtx750 gpu

Edited by Speadge

As long as your card supports DirectX 9.2 or OpenGL 3.2 you won't notice any difference in quality.

If you already have settings maxed you won't see improvement there, although you could improve quality further with the nvidia utilities that allow for supersampled resolutions.

On Thursday July 07, 2016 at 9:12 AM, Radon86 said:

Woah dude, the 200 series! Altough it's like 7-8 years old by now, the higher end of the 200s still performs decently, like on a 750 Ti level.

It still performs well enough for me, what pushed me over was missing DX12 support (read: planets in space engineers). 

modern gpus are seldom the bottleneck anymore, even budget cards like the 750ti. i own one of those and i really dont see enough bad performance to justify getting a new card (not to mention limited case room, im not going to run a machine bigger than the agc so i can fit in a video card i dont need).

950m here. I think I have the performance level of a standard GTX 750. It's total overkill for KSP through. I also have an i7-6700HQ 2.6 GHZ quad core on this laptop, and KSP runs perfectly. Only some frame drops when taking large ships through the upper atmosphere into space.

If you haven't bought the card already, I would opt for something newer (1070) and possibly newer and cheaper (1060, AMD RX 480). Also, if you don't use graphics enhancing mods, there might not be any reason to upgrade at all, except for being able to max out the game's graphics settings at higher resolutions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.