The KSP Interstellar Proxima Centauri Challenge

The Challenge: Plant a flag on this planet, Proxima Centauri!

3H1Zsn1.png

NmSbUBr.png

Its the nearest real possibly habitable planet located near Alpha Centauri, about 4 lightyears  distance which is made accessible by

Alternatively use Centauri Dreams Updated to: https://www.dropbox.com/s/spyd3qnc6ppnocn/CentauriDreams.zip?dl=0

Although Alpha Centauri is our closest neirbour, traveling 4 light years though the interstellar medium might be further than you think

Crossing-the-Cosmic-Void.jpg

The main constraint would be that FTL drives are not allowed, but you are allowed to use any slower than light (STL) engine from KSPI Extended, Far Future or Photon Sailor

If you want to chat about the Interstellar challange you can do it at our KSP Interstellar Discord Server

like KSPI-E Daedalus engine and/or magnetic nozzle.

Here is an simple example :

apnAaE2.png

Here is a more advanced example

eg1OznW.png

For more info see:

The alternative, travel by photon sail

pga.jpg

AAS_Mission.jpg

Preferred method of proof would be video.

The preferred method of win is to be the fastest, but style also plays a large role

Entry Player Proof Duration Max Speed

Launch

Mass

Dry Mass Wet Mass Part count Cost DeltaV
3-1-2017 @Nansuchao youtube 690 y ? 61.152 t 129 t 439 t 161 41.963.000 ?
5-3-2017 @superdavekerman imgur 299 y 330d 1.027.340 m/s 9.068 t 129 108 t 129 13.361.780 2,767,705
3-4-2017 @proteasome imgur 69 y 91 d 4,164,000 m/s 4,123 t 68 4,123 t 68 1.236.987.000 0,165,752
9-12-2019 @pmborg youtube part 1, 2 ,3 26 y 23d 119,755,559 m/s 94.705 t 12,977 t 553,788 t 99 4,451,096,064 142 M
19-4-2021 @Zapataz youtube 17 y 149,000,000 m/s ? 59 t 80 t 25 11,543,300 ?
14-11-2021 @GenerallyCompetent imgur 13 y 0.783c 838,198 t 270,554 t 383,896 t 57 7,469,861 275 M

unofficial entry: Slow Boats in style

Another unofficial entry:

Not an entry but it does show how to buid your insterstellar craft in space

Edited by FreeThinker

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Nansuchao  Congratulation on achieving the first landing on the first interstellar planet 4 light years away without FTL drives. This by itself by any measure is not an easy thing to do. But like the first Moon landing, we don't do it because they are easy but because they are hard. Just to see the interstellar spacecraft beeing launched into orbit was epic. The video accurately shows one of the major problems of interstellar travel, distance. There are many lessons to be drawn from this great video and I see a lot of room for improvement

For posterity, I still would like to know the following stats:

• total launch mass
  • total launch cost
  • total launch part count
  • interstellar vessel dry mass
  • interstellar vessel wet mass 
  • total launch part count
  • total travel time
  • maximum achieved speed

Edit: Added maximum achieved speed

Edited by FreeThinker

Thank you! This was a big lesson for me too, now if I have to do the same travel I'll achieve a better result in the matter of needed years. I had that trouble with the SRBs during launch that is unexplained for now and the massive difficulty of RSS.

Total launch mass: 62.142 tonnes

Total launch cost: 41.963.000 credits

Total launch part count: 161 parts

Interstellar ship dry mass: 129.006 kg

Interstellar ship wet mass: 439.091 kg

Total travel time: 690y, 55d.

2 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

Thank you! This was a big lesson for me too, now if I have to do the same travel I'll achieve a better result in the matter of needed years. I had that trouble with the SRBs during launch that is unexplained for now and the massive difficulty of RSS.

Total launch mass: 62.142 tonnes

Total launch cost: 41.963.000 credits

Total launch part count: 161 parts

Interstellar ship dry mass: 129.006 kg

Interstellar ship wet mass: 439.091 kg

Total travel time: 690y, 55d.

Damn, that's a lot. That means that just getting the interstellar vessel into orbit required 100 times the mass of the vessel itself :0.0:

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Damn, that's a lot. That means that just getting the interstellar vessel into orbit required 100 times the mass of the vessel itself :0.0:

Something less, seen that the last part of the orbital insertion was accomplished by the Daedalus itself. Something can be improved there, however. I'm sure that with FAR and some tweaking to the lifter, thing would be different.

36 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

Something less, seen that the last part of the orbital insertion was accomplished by the Daedalus itself. Something can be improved there, however. I'm sure that with FAR and some tweaking to the lifter, thing would be different.

Indeed but besides that I think a more significant mass reduction can be achieved when most chemical engines are replaced by Timberwinds on Methane, possibly in combination with Wrapper fuel drop tanks. Still you have proven it 'could' be done with chemical rockets, which makes it interesting benchmark

Edited by FreeThinker

You're completely right. 

My original plan was to include TAC LS and Deep Freeze, harvest Antimatter and Helium3 and finally to create an Interstellar ship in orbit. 

For performances reasons I had to abort that plan, then it was logical to use a single launch to reach the goal.

If I redo the launch, I'll use just Interstellar engines all the way from the ground to Proxima Centaury B

Edited by Nansuchao

Seeing as it seems to be very difficult just to get to the nearest solar system, even with distances divided by 10, I suppose a method of getting to further systems would be to gradually build stations around closer systems, and launch space craft from there using extraplanetary launchpads? I say this because I'd think it would be very difficult, maybe even impossible, to create a spacecraft that goes straight from Earth to, lets say, HD 10180.

1 hour ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Seeing as it seems to be very difficult just to get to the nearest solar system, even with distances divided by 10, I suppose a method of getting to further systems would be to gradually build stations around closer systems, and launch space craft from there using extraplanetary launchpads? I say this because I'd think it would be very difficult, maybe even impossible, to create a spacecraft that goes straight from Earth to, lets say, HD 10180.

Extraplanetary Launchpad and/or Ground Construction would be needed for any kind of Interstellar Colonization. About the travel, if I make the challenge again, and maybe someday I'll do it, I'm sure I can reach Proxima Centauri in a lot less time, probably less than 1/3 of the time, without WarpDrive or any FTL.

4 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

This is not a new idea

But first need to learn walk before we can run. It should be our goal that a interstellar vessel is able fly to another system, build a colony, reload the ship with fuel and resource and repeat

Edited by FreeThinker

1 minute ago, FreeThinker said:

This is not new idea

But first need to learn walk before we can run. It should be our goal that a interstellar vessel is able fly to another system, build a colony, reload the ship with fuel and resource and repeat

True. And to do that, we need to create an effective method of delivering sizable payloads to Proxima Centauri b. Much easier said than done :D

Also, hold your horses with the Proxima Centauri b screenshot! The new Proxima Centauri b hasn't come out yet, so use this screenshot instead:

ohojs6u.png

• 4 weeks later...

I have an attempt at this in progress and I'm at the point where I wonder the best way to navigate once you're interstellar. Just point at the target and go?  It seems like the only option available. I did manage to get a maneuver node out of MechJeb when I was still in a circular orbit but it was going to take over 2.2 million years!

On 3/3/2017 at 0:14 AM, superdavekerman said:

I have an attempt at this in progress and I'm at the point where I wonder the best way to navigate once you're interstellar. Just point at the target and go?  It seems like the only option available. I did manage to get a maneuver node out of MechJeb when I was still in a circular orbit but it was going to take over 2.2 million years!

Yeah don't even try to use maneuver nodes. Best way to go about it is to just to aim and shoot.

Here's a screenshot of my mostly successful attempt.  I have videos but I'll need to piece them together.

total launch mass
total launch cost 13361780
total launch part count 129
interstellar vessel dry mass 26.569
interstellar vessel wet mass 108.381
interstellar vessel part count 70
interstellar vessel cost 10859690
total travel time
  299y330d
maximum achieved speed 1027339.7m/s
deltaV 2767705

RSS_ProximaCentaurib.png

Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/KJ3OT

Edited by superdavekerman
add imgur link with launcher

16 hours ago, HiThere!2 said:

Alright I'll try.

WARNING: My video proof will be with my phone and not a screen recorder!

NNOOOOOOOO!!!! :D

But actually, please dont. Windows 10 comes with a basic video recorder, just use that.

On 5-3-2017 at 2:22 AM, superdavekerman said:

Here's a screenshot of my mostly successful attempt.  I have videos but I'll need to piece them together.

total launch mass
total launch cost 13361780
total launch part count 129
interstellar vessel dry mass 26.569
interstellar vessel wet mass 108.381
interstellar vessel part count 70
interstellar vessel cost 10859690
total travel time
  299y330d
maximum achieved speed 3003370747
deltaV 2767705

RSS_ProximaCentaurib.png

What exactly do you mean by maximum speed 3003370747? m/s? that would mean you traveled many times faster than the speed of light which is at 299 792 458 m/s. Have you been using FTL?

But this contradict with you DeltaV, which is only 2767705 m/s, which means you traveled at most 1383900 m/s which is only 0.4% of speed of light

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.