The KSP Interstellar Proxima Centauri Challenge

6 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

What is the heliosphere factor?, it is visible on thr magnetic scoop context menu. Also are in in the SOI of the Homeworld star or in  SOI of Alfa Centauri?

ALQc28H.png

Out Side SOI of both stars

12 minutes ago, pmborg said:

ALQc28H.png

Out Side SOI of both stars

Weird, the Ionisation Factor is 0 (it should be 1), which means your not flying into the ions you are producing. Are you sure the beam is directed into diretion you are heading?

Edited by FreeThinker

4 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Weird, the Ionisation Factor is 0 (it should be 1), which means your not flying into the ions you are producing. Are you sure the beam is directed into diretion you are heading?

Actually was in retro burn (Sun Faced),

but now is facing to target star:

FXmVB6U.png

2 minutes ago, pmborg said:

Actually was in retro burn (Sun Faced),

but now is facing to target star:

FXmVB6U.png

Great, I see you are now creating 1243 kN of drag and collecting 126 kg/h of interstellar medium

Edited by FreeThinker

3 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Great, I see you are now creating 1243 kN of drag

• That might me good for a small ship but for this one is almost nothing... I will pass the star at high speed, already tried.
  • The engine do 552,960kN.
Edited by pmborg

25 minutes ago, pmborg said:

is in 3.1m scale the default is 2.5

That seems underpower and I see you have pusation at 100%, which minimizes drag. When speeding up you want to maximize it but when you want to decelerate, want to minimize it. So set it to minimum and see the differnce

Edited by FreeThinker

12 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

THere is that and I see you have pusation at 100, which minimizes drag

with Pulsation to 0 is giving 4477kN

Trying now a scale of 40m

ok got it, with 40m got a G-force of 46!!! and a force of 8,143,318 kN need to find a balanced way now.

Edited by pmborg

3 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

weird, I expected more. Looking at the code I notice a mistake which I need to fix

ok got it, with 40m got a G-force of 46!!! and a force of 8,143,318 kN need to find a balanced way now.

Zw4bJiS.png

Edited by pmborg

6 minutes ago, pmborg said:

Lol, yes that should technically rip the ship apart, but I didn't implement that feature yet.

Edit: obviously 40m is too big, I suggest something in between 40m and 2.5 meter

Edited by FreeThinker

7 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Lol, yes that should technically rip the ship apart, but I didn't implement that feature yet.

Edit: obviously 40m is too big, I suggest something in between 40m and 2.5 meter

Actually does it the ship broke..

30m G-force: 23

20m G-force: 7 is acceptable if kerbals are all on freeze :9 what do you think?

The problem is that with that scoop in scale of 20m can't take off from Kerbin now need to think... because I have the takeoff boosters on top.

Edited by pmborg

9 minutes ago, pmborg said:

Actually does it the ship broke..

30m G-force: 23

20m G-force: 7 is acceptable if kerbals are all on freeze :9 what do you think?

Well that maximum force, you need to take into account of drag is much lower when you slow down. That why I added multiple ways to lower the strength of the magnetic scoop, you can lower ionization, magnetic strength and pulsation

Edited by FreeThinker

Just now, FreeThinker said:

Well that maximum force, you need to take into account of drag is much lower when you slow down. That why I added multiple ways to lower the strength of the magnetic scoop, you can lower ionization, magnetic strength and pulsation

• 20m G-force: 7 (Pulsation 0)
  • 20m G-force: 1.988 (Pulsation 100)

And about the Hydrogen Scooping?
I was wondering if during all those 12years of journey if I can collect something

15 minutes ago, pmborg said:
  • 20m G-force: 7 (Pulsation 0)
  • 20m G-force: 1.988 (Pulsation 100)

Yes, it will be a bit of a balacing fact. Notice that interstellar medium does not have the same densiy everywhere. Once you enter the SOI of Alpha Centauri, you will encounter the  Hydrogen Wall, a reagon of space the dnsity will be a 100 higher than normal. That mean the dag will also be 100 times higher!! Usualy you will already have slown down, but if your not, you might get surprized. The Hydrogen wall will not be instantaious, be will pre preceded by a bow wave. After the Hydrogen wall you get into the helio pause after which it will gradualy be replace by solar wind

Edited by FreeThinker

2 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes, it will be a bit of a balacing fact. Notice that interstellar medium is not have the same densiy everywhere. Once you enter the SOI of Alpha Centauri, you will encounter the  Hydrogen Wall, a reonon os space the dnsity will be a 100 higher than normal. That mean the dag will also be 100 times higher!! The Hydrogen wall will not be instantaious, be will pre preceded by a bow wave.

In that case is better to disconnect the magnetic scoop just before enter in SOI and connect it slowly after enter in SOI

Edited by pmborg

3 minutes ago, pmborg said:

In that case is better to disconnect the magnetic scoop and connect it slowly after enter in SOI

Well you don't have to disable it unless your not carefull.  The Bow wave will grow exponential and peak at 87% of distance to star within SOI

Edited by FreeThinker

5 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Well not if you are carefull.  The Bow wave will grow exponential and peak at 87% of distance to star within SOI

With magnetic scoop scale 15m pulsation 0: got G-Force 3.0

With magnetic scoop scale 15m pulsation 100: got G-Force 0.8

I think this is even a better option.

5 minutes ago, pmborg said:

With magnetic scoop scale 15m pulsation 0: got G-Force 3.0

With magnetic scoop scale 15m pulsation 100: got G-Force 0.8

I think this is even a better option.

Ok, but don't forget biggerr magnetic scoop require more power and therefore more fusion fuel

Thanks for the remark: I have 4.98GW available for more than 237 years let me check that...

Yes confirmed that all is ok, magnetic scoop scale 15m consume "only" 1.36GW, I will use this one, making now the new version of the ship:

VVhNf2T.png

Edited by pmborg

12 hours ago, pmborg said:

Thanks for the remark: I have 4GW available for more than 100 years let me check that...

Well you only need maximum power when it is fully active, which you will only do after you have dragged down a bit first at low power. Maximum power capacity will be more important than fuel.  Idealy you first speed up the vessel untill you are out of main propellant, then drift untill your about 0.1 lightyear from your destination, activate the magnetic scoop at minimum pulsation strength and then slowly increase ionization (which cost the most power). This will cause you to refill your tanks and slow down until the amount of drag becomes too low, after which you flip the vessel and use your engine with fresh propellant to slow down.

Edit: Notice you probably need to convert the lqdHydrogen into SolidHydrogen first

Edited by FreeThinker

- I detected something wrong with Stars and Planet SOIs in this CenturiDreams, I will try to fix it today at night, otherwise it will be impossible to catch the Star Alfa Centauri SOI and do maneuvers to approach.

- With Current Ship configuration I was able to deaccelerate from 90,000km/s to 400,000m/s only with Magnetic Scoop, then at this velocity the break is very week, maybe because start SOI is not working properly on Alfa Centauri

- The breaking point was 2,000,000Mm distance from Star Alfa Centauri with 15years total journey at speed 90,000km/s

- Theatrically was inside Start SOI after 44 years journey total time, but seams too much or with another words can be better, but once again should be caused by start SOI is not working properly on Alfa Centauri.

Edited by pmborg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.