The KSP Interstellar Proxima Centauri Challenge

This is a closer look at the "MiniSpaceShuttev1":

qqMu3FD.png

I will study what you are suggesting, but please note that the mini elevator from MainSpaceShip and the ground should work in any planet with any type of atmosphere, that is the advantage of this one.

XZjL56H.png

I tried what you suggested, but the ship become:

• (-)heavier
  • (-)less deltaV
  • (-)less stable, outside of atmosphere
  • (-)less power.

Maybe I am doing something wrong.

ZLp5pqj.png

Except the air-intake for both sides.

I am using for fuel:

• Atmosphere
  • Liqd HydrogenPeroxide
Edited by pmborg

On 9/7/2019 at 5:34 PM, pmborg said:

I tried what you suggested, but the ship become:

• (-)heavier
  • (-)less deltaV
  • (-)less stable, outside of atmosphere
  • (-)less power.

Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Notice the deltaV calculation is wrong because atmosphere propulsion gives virtual unlimted DeltaV.

50 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Notice the deltaV calculation is wrong because atmosphere propulsion gives virtual unlimted DeltaV.

Hello,

I shared both Shuttle versions here:

In case if you have time to check what is wrong, with v2 in comparison with v1.

Tomorrow night, I will try to Test the new release (Version 1.22.12) on the latest upgraded model:"InterStellarShuttle-v5-2Dv2":

VLgZg2n.png

qPlx69J.png

Jr4oS8D.png

SUQZRLp.png

The MiniShuttleShip and the respective payload were also updated:

•  The two robotic arms (on closed position) make the pickup maneuver easier from the: Graber Claw
  • The radiators were also updated once found that the main radiators are better to interstellar journey (4000K) but they don't work well in atmosphere (limit 1200K)
  • This ones are very good in atmosphere (3000K)
  • NOTE: The refuel of the MiniShuttleShip is done converting the solidHydrogen from mothership into LH2 (once mothership have powerful Scoopers which allow the refuel as many times as needed)

E4A0qwO.png

Edited by pmborg

Hello again!

I would like to add just one more small detail, about this last ship version/project (InterStellarShuttle-v5-2Dv2), this is a detailed view of the ship seats:

5MkYTo0.png

The Generic Idea is to have a Colony Group of "50 seats", with 50 Cryonic Seats (optional solution for an emergency), the ship have 12 extra seats, for "un-planned" births (I hope that it is enough...) for a Journey about 18/19 years to Alfa Centaury 4.2 light years away.

Avg numbers of the tries so far:

Total Ship Capability: 110.3M deltaV

• About 1 year to do rendezvous Jupiter and refuel at an altitude between 1900km and 1600km, note dead zone at 1550km
  • 2 years to accelerate
  • 12 years to journey, 100,000 km/s (33.3% light speed)
  • 2 years to de-accelerate  (this is still and area of improvement, because sometimes, I take more time to de-accelerate)
  • Between 1 and 2 years to final start orbit and rendezvous planet

SUM: between 18 and 19 years

Note original capability was 117M delta-V but with mini-ship-shuttle and after adding more seats, the potentially deltaV capability Dropped to 110M

At the end of Journey there is an extra fuel maneuver capacity, between 2M and 5M deltaV

Note: its always possible to refuel at 100% again near by a gas giant planet of that star system.

if necessary is possible to abort the mission in a specific Star and go to another nearby Star?

• Testing this possibility, due fertilizer and other life-support systems, for now for sure work, the "emergency plan" and freeze everybody and use remote control.
  • This MiniShuttle Ship now can transport 12K Ore to the main Interstellar ship.

Any ideas or comments from your precious hints @FreeThinker ?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by pmborg

On 9/11/2019 at 8:56 PM, pmborg said:

Note: its always possible to refuel at 100% again near by a gas giant planet of that star system.

Well you must also be able to actualy get in orbit, otherwise you pretty much doomed

On 9/11/2019 at 8:56 PM, pmborg said:

if necessary is possible to abort the mission in a specific Star and go to another nearby Star?

I guess you need to have a certain amount of flexibility when going on a interstellar journey. 19 years is a lot of time to get some good ideas. A possible idea is to reconfigure your transit vessel to a ortibal beamed power station to allow collonist from the homeworld to arrive by laser sail (effectively establishing  a laser highway) or provide you new colony to launch other vessels cheaply

Edited by FreeThinker

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Well you must also be able to actualy get in orbit, otherwise you pretty much doomed

True, in all my success tries, I used 1M delta-v (my record) enough to enter in star orbit, after the use of the "Magnetic Scoop", but is very difficult, sometimes I need 5M and sometimes  I need 10M.

So I changed the ship in order to allow me to have 17M delta-V to be used as break capability , after the use of "Magnetic Scoop" to break from 33% light speed (100,000km/s to hopefully less than 10,000km/s)

Edited by pmborg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all and specially to the Great Creator @FreeThinker

I have being quiet on sharing stuff produced, but this post is to renew my intention of doing a super video, about space traveling and to a demo all in detail and explain all in detail.

• The ship are in continuous redesign every time I touch it. It seams better to be at least from the scientific point of view seams better.
  • Of course not using warp drive. Because with that it would be too easy :)

This is my latest child ship that will be decoupled from mother-ship, still 50 pax + 2  pilots, "Fighter1_48.craft":

fGzgcYY.png

Characteristics:

• Passenger Airplane
  • Cargo Airplane
  • A VTOL vehicle airplane.
  • Can be a Boat tested at 60m/s on water, note: at 140 m/s broke apart.
  • Can be a Balloon (for emergencies)
  • and finally the main goal be a Spaceship: 55k deltaV

Tested:

• Can actually takeoff from Kerbin land on Mun and comeback, tested already.

Real Mission:

• Of-board mother-ship and land in a planet with 50 colonists and start the construction of a big moveable factory with in onboard factory, "TstAssemblyLine2.craft"

Current Mother-ship of this vehicle Version: "InterStellarShuttle-V5-472.craft"

Edited by pmborg

22 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

@pmborg Wil this landing vessel be capable of self Refueling in any way?

Actually yes.

• As SpaceShip can be refueled with scoper or hydrogen also have a refrigerator onboard
  • and on land as VTOL can be refuel as traditional ore ISRU, all on board, the ore collector is using Drilling Rig.

I will share an image with that:

F2Qph8v.png

Actually that wasn't a good picture to see all that:

KwbPieF.png

Edited by pmborg

Discovering the Stall Speed, after a normal takeoff (non VSTOL Takeoff):

• Vr: 100m/s (used Vr+20)
  • VSR0: 86m/s
  1. The re-entry in atmosphere was done with success ( kinda invented a new way to enter in atmosphere I think :))
  2. Time to test the landing...

@FreeThinker from cellphone, please expect 4h+- to send the detais.

From aerodynamic point of view reduced yesterday the stall speed from 150m/s to 68m/s not bad, the engines it self dont do all,

now with those aeronynamic changes I can get an AP of 110,000m just from those ATM engines.

Edited by pmborg

On 9/9/2019 at 12:33 AM, pmborg said:

qPlx69J.png

SUQZRLp.png

I wonder is there are particular reason your did not use the KSPIE Habitat Particle Accelerator Ring, which is tweascalable between 20m and 50m diameter.

The Particle Acclerator allows you to fuse light resources (like Hydrogen) into havier resource (Deuterium and Helium3)

Edited by FreeThinker

7 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

I wonder is there are particular reason your did not use the KSPIE Habitat Particle Accelerator Ring, which is tweascalable between 20m and 50m diameter.

That is an old model, from the current standard mothership, continuous evolution, I am focused now on the ship that will land from mothership to the destiny planet and potentially get back to mothership. "InterStellarShuttle-V5-472.craft" I will check/analyze your hint later on thanks!

Later I will share images with the latest mothership version integrated with 2 ships.

Edited by pmborg

Hello ,

1. @FreeThinker

The airplane have:

• 1 x NUK-3 and
  • 2 x PB-NUK

SH1CMKJ.png

But in reality the airplane don't consume what is listed here, the power demand is about 1.87GW.

Cheking more info:

6k0oh8b.png

Basically both "Kerbstein Fusion" engines are acting as a "power bank" to the "OPT ATM engines" reach the orbit.

2. "The Particle Acclerator allows you to fuse light resources (like Hydrogen) into havier resource (Deuterium and Helium3) "

• maybe you are referring it as solution to generate the proper power to this "Airplane" right?
  • Updating the airplane with that Idea that sounds really good!
Edited by pmborg

2 hours ago, pmborg said:

2. "The Particle Acclerator allows you to fuse light resources (like Hydrogen) into havier resource (Deuterium and Helium3) "

• maybe you are referring it as solution to generate the proper power to this "Airplane" right?
  • Updating the airplane with that Idea that sounds really good!

Well could use the Particle Accelerator  to generate deuterium for the tri alpha to generate electric power, but a more realitic solution would be to use magnetic target fusion reactor to generate thermal heat to power a thermal turbojet.

Another opton would be to use the Particle Accelerator generate antiproton and positron antimatter which can be used to in a thermal antimatter reactor to generate thermal heat to power to thermal turbojet.

Edited by FreeThinker

Removed those 3 nuc. reactors meanwhile and replaced by just one "Muon Catalised", it seams to me that the "Particle Acclerator"  is too big for this airplane, I am trying to keep it as light and small as possible and he is very big already :)

I will share the airplane, I will just need to "trim" the VSTOL because the CG changed with new reactor.

29 minutes ago, pmborg said:

Removed those 3 nuc. reactors meanwhile and replaced by just one "Muon Catalised", it seams to me that the "Particle Acclerator"  is too big for this airplane, I am trying to keep it as light and small as possible and he is very big already :)

I will share the airplane, I will just need to "trim" the VSTOL because the CG changed with new reactor.

Well the suggestion would be to keep the Particle Acclerator on the Interstellar Transport vessel and only transfer the produced isotopes/antimatter to the your airplane for power production

I guess you realy love your electric engines. One possiblity is that we integrate these engine into KSPIE and turn them in resistojets turbojets running on Megajoule power generated by KSPIE reactors, at least that way they will be better balanced, but that will take time.

Edited by FreeThinker

Maybe I don't know how to work with "Particle Accelerator"  or I am not getting the advantage, I see a direct disadvantage to add more 66tones and I already have 16GW of electricity without the "Particle Accelerator", probably you are right but I am not getting the al thel picture maybe.

"Integrate these engine into KSPIE and turn them in resistojets turbojets running on Megajoule power generated by KSPIE " that sounds good.

Edited by pmborg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.