The KSP Interstellar Proxima Centauri Challenge

@pmborgregarding the nuclear engines you use, why not use KSPIE "Timerwinds" Fluotized Rotating Bed Reactor Engine? THe should have better thrust to mass ratio, especialy when you run on methane or hydrazine. These engine were specificly added for launching heavy loads into space.

Edited by FreeThinker

11 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Hey regarding the nuclear engines you use, why not use KSPIE "timerwinds" Fluotized Rotating Bed Reactor Engine?

Starting now the KSP, I will check that, again, I believe that I tried to use those in past but for one reason could not use them, please note that these engines do 1.1 billion Newtons to put this monster in orbit, I will check it again.

vv3dLug.png

Basically they have the double force of Bussard, but they are 4.

Edited by pmborg

The ISP is lower just 1430 vs 2850 so the deltaV is half:

hql5av6.png

• - Trying them in a video.
  • - This test was a success but the flames... you know, you could do something similar :) as NV-GX "Emancipator", uploading the video...
Edited by pmborg

13 hours ago, pmborg said:

Starting now the KSP, I will check that, again, I believe that I tried to use those in past but for one reason could not use them, please note that these engines do 1.1 billion Newtons to put this monster in orbit, I will check it again.

vv3dLug.png

Basically they have the double force of Bussard, but they are 4.

Instead of Hydrogen, you should use Methane or Hydrazine, which generates significantly higher thrust

Edited by FreeThinker

On 10/14/2019 at 7:26 AM, FreeThinker said:

Instead of Hydrogen, you should use Methane or Hydrazine, which generates significantly higher thrust

uj7KJuP.png

Strange because here on the engine tool-tip say that Hydrogen is a factor of 1.0

- Once you said that you like particular of my images of KSP Central:

I have 3 photos for different installations:

(a side note of-topic) with SCATTER and EVE mods: (pretty clouds and so on...)

6tki8M6.png

Removing scatter:

eDO5qbd.png

removing: BoulderCo & scatter:

5QCFAZW.png

For me the FPS are more important than just pretty images, so I use this config in the videos.

8 hours ago, pmborg said:

uj7KJuP.png

Strange because here on the engine tool-tip say that Hydrogen is a factor of 1.0

Yes but the thrust is the inverse of isp, and some propellant like hydrazine and methane release additional energy giving it a thrust bonus.

Edited by FreeThinker

• 3 weeks later...

Finally all set again in KSP 1.8.1:

KSC:

mfYmAwu.png

Alfa1.8StellarShuttle-v5-8: ( Current version 33% light speed capable )

mcAFTVy.png

xHgFkSf.png

Alfa1.8Colony1: (The first colony Module that will be built in the target planet, once allow infinite LifeSupport with max 6 people awake for a total 61 seats and 50 freezing beds)

Lgyc3KY.png

Alfa1.8_Fighter1.5: (The Space Airplane, can go orbit, land on Mun do a re-entry and land on Kerbin, or any other non gas planet)

uZaoQhK.png

Edited by pmborg

Hello @FreeThinker,

I know that at 25 of August in this thread I have done the same/similar question about the problem of the kspieMagneticScoop that was not breaking at the desired efficiency.

No it seams back, I had this time TweakScale at 40!:

MODULE
                {
                    name = TweakScale
                    isEnabled = True
                    currentScale = 40
                    defaultScale = 2.5
                    defaultTransformScale = (1, 1, 1)
                    DryCost = 9999899
                    stagingEnabled = True
                    EVENTS
                    {
                    }
                    ACTIONS
                    {
                    }
                    UPGRADESAPPLIED
                    {
                    }
                }

What do you think that is the problem? Knowing in advance that maybe is between the chair and the keyboard, from this side...

@pmborg the magnetic scoop is underpowered,  its only recieving 25% of the power it is requesting. Besides that, in the video, you  are already inside the heliosphere meaning you are no longer in the interstelar medium and don't have to ionize it as the solar wind is already ionized

You require 2.5 Terawatt  to power a magnetosphere with a diameter slightly smaller the size of our moon, but you only provide it with 652 GW. You need increase the power production by 4x

Edited by FreeThinker

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

@pmborg Any progress?

With all add-ons back and in-place, like SCAN and Hangar, now officially, I am just missing the official release of Kopernicus for KSP1.8.1

While doing that I am developing a new LEM3.3 (Artemis like) for 4 people (2 pilots + 1 eng. + 1 scientist), the idea for use that is to use a small vertical lander, instead of the big AlfaFighter1.5 for 50 people, as a first research vehicle to use before send the AlfaFighter1.5.

These are the planned steps, all tested individually, but a single video with all in a raw... is pretty hard :)

- Use the AlfaBus to get crew to InterStellar Ship.

- AlfaStellarShuttle-v5-8(VAB) Interstellar (for 50 people)

• Takeoff with all 3 fuel tanks empty, just with reserve fuel at engine (enouf to go at Saturn Jupiter)
  • Enter in orbit and free the "orbit boosters" and get out of Earth-SOI
  • Target Saturn Jupiter and travel at 100,000m/s (due little fuel available at takeoff)
  • Refuel on Saturn Jupiter with scoopers at 1600 km height.
  • Accelerate out of Saturn Jupiter-SOI
  • Accelerate to 100,000km/s
  • Break using Magnetic Scoop between 10,0000 and 33,000km/s
  • Enter it destiny star SOI do the final speed break
  • Enter it destiny planet SOI and do an orbit at 150 km height in target planet.

- Alfa_LEM3.3 (lander for 4 people) exploratory vehicle (check/explore Moons)
 - Alfa_Fighter1.5 (VSTOL airplane for 50 people) capable of land and return to orbit (in a earth like planet with atmosphere)
  - Alfa_AssemblyLine2 (CONTAINER of Alfa_Fighter1.5)
   - Alfa_MuniVan (constructed by Alfa_AssemblyLine2) as an example.
   - AlfaColony1 (VAB) colony/House for 50 people that were landed by Alfa_Fighter1.5 and constructed also by Alfa_AssemblyLine2

The "all solution" use some add-on-costumizations made by me.

Probably I need to do another video to show how to do a detail colony in detail, I expect all done until the end of the year.

Edited by pmborg

Hi again, now with photos:

- AlfaStellarShuttle-v5-8(VAB) Interstellar (for 50 people) (Under re-construction with new Hangars):

Hp7hAiV.png

- Alfa_LEM3.3 (lander for 4 people) exploratory vehicle (check/explore Moons) - During a phase test:

2aK24WB.png

- Alfa_Fighter1.5 (VSTOL airplane for 50 people) capable of land and return to orbit (in a earth like planet with atmosphere) a very good airplane, easy to fly!

OsvSfql.png

- Alfa_AssemblyLine2 (CONTAINER of Alfa_Fighter1.5) - The Factory that will construct anything on target planet, using resources of-course.

o8Lwebm.png

- Alfa_MuniVan (constructed by Alfa_AssemblyLine2) as an example - The first things to do on a planet, I image is to explore:

dosx6ON.png

- AlfaColony1 (VAB) colony/House for 50 people that were landed by Alfa_Fighter1.5 and constructed also by Alfa_AssemblyLine2 - First module that will support the initial 50 Colones.

sVAiLhW.png

This is the most recent work/resume about Exoplanets, if you activate the auto/translation in subtitles for English, the translation is not perfect but 99% accurate.

PART 2:

Edited by pmborg

23 hours ago, pmborg said:

- Alfa_MuniVan (constructed by Alfa_AssemblyLine2) as an example - The first things to do on a planet, I image is to explore:

dosx6ON.png

I recommend adding some non foldable solar pannels allowing it to operate while driving faster than 5m/s and adding a KSPIE super lithium battery for operaing without light for extended time

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I recommend adding some non foldable solar pannels allowing it to operate while driving faster than 5m/s and adding a KSPIE super lithium battery for operaing without light for extended time

Adding more info about the MuniVan:

- He can go/drive just with fixed panels, the current vehicle power is 2000EC,  the idea of the extra panels is to use extra power source when stopped to do science.

YIe37S1.png

Another question is, what is the formula to compare this 2 batteries, how can I calculate which one have better endurance, once the previous have 1000EC per module and Lithium have 25EC + 93.8 Kilowatt/h ?

HuOL2Xp.png

Edited by pmborg

On 11/26/2019 at 10:46 PM, pmborg said:

Adding more info about the MuniVan:

- He can go/drive just with fixed panels, the current vehicle power is 2000EC,  the idea of the extra panels is to use extra power source when stopped to do science.

YIe37S1.png

Another question is, what is the formula to compare this 2 batteries, how can I calculate which one have better endurance, once the previous have 1000EC per module and Lithium have 25EC + 93.8 Kilowatt/h ?

HuOL2Xp.png

1 Kilowatt Hour equates to 3600 Electric Charge, so a single lithium air battery in the picture translates in to 93.8 x 3600 = 3376800 EC THat should be enough power to continue driving cross country  in the dark the whole day. Works best with the Bon Voyage Mod allowing you to send a car to anywhere on the planet automaticly in the back ground.

Edited by FreeThinker

I will try to test "Bon Voyage".

Now I had to overcome an obstacle, the AlfaFighter 1.5 is grounded it is not good enough for a planet like Paradise, with stronger gravity and stronger atmosphere.

I had to develop another one base on a avatar OPT type:

BnxYHds.png

uZrBiK6.png

• Have a construction factory (from Global Construction) on board
  • Transport big cargo's
  • VTSOL on earth and/or in Paradise
  • Can take off from Kerbin land on Mun vertical and return to kerbin.
  • Support a re-entry at 2900m/s if necessary which Alfra1.5 do not support.
  • Can land at 55m/s or just land using parachutes in case of an emergency
  • Can transport the Ground Container inside instead of Alfra1.5  that was transported at belly (basically if container is destroyed during reentry all crew is dead...), that don't happen on this one.

Edited by pmborg

Just now, FreeThinker said:

Instead of subjecting your vessel to extreme reentry temperatures, it might be more effective to simply break with deltaV

Yes sure I do that, but I like to test the limit, to know what I can count.

27 minutes ago, pmborg said:

AlfaShip appears inside on Hangar (from @allista), but not parked or docked, so in space will flyway from mothership... any idea @FreeThinker ?

I though it was supposed to be that way. The main  advantage of the Hanger is to reduce part count when unneeded and only spawn the contents when required

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.