The KSP Interstellar Proxima Centauri Challenge

On 1/20/2020 at 3:14 AM, pmborg said:

Do you know the delta-V of this one?

Absolutely not. Daedalus is a very complex system. Plus, I have not measured it yet. Without kopernicus 1.8.1 there is nowhere to fly on it. The mass of this ship is about 1,680 tons. Fuel (fusion pellets at that time) respectively somewhere 1000 tons.
Plus, my Daedalus is slightly trimmed with a notepad, I lowered the momentum to Isp 76.000 to make it a little more realistic with our technologies.

On 7/7/2016 at 7:56 PM, FreeThinker said:

The Challenge: Plant a flag on this planet, Proxima Centauri! [snip]

Yes, sounds cool but there is a problem. Interstellar trips seems to be forbidden in 1.8.1. However, If you just want me to design a craft and fly 4 light years without Warp Drives, I can definetely do it.

Edited by James Kerman
Snipped complete quote of OP

9 hours ago, SynX said:

Yes, sounds cool but there is a problem. Interstellar trips seems to be forbidden in 1.8.1. However, If you just want me to design a craft and fly 4 light years without Warp Drives, I can definetely do it.

Its  not forbidden, you just need to download and install Kopernicus 8.1

Edited by FreeThinker

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Check this out

Hello @FreeThinker

I am curious about several things, one of them what is this: @ 552second, looks like the ones of Civilization Population but at the same time this are very nice and futuristic :)

aHdVRu5.png

I found it here:

And they work at 1.8.1++

Edited by pmborg

10 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes, I wondered how he achieved that as well. I suspect he applied some video editing after effects ...

Actually @FreeThinker he used the TundraExploration's plume to the thermal nozzle of KSPIE, is not "video editing after effects"

So this one:

Actually is not easy to installTundra Exploration due all dependencies, due all deprecated deps.:hUPAJ0n.png

Extra Note:

I installed all deps in latest for 1.8.1, but it seams that the video was done in 1.7.1

Which give this effect in a small scale for Falcon9:

c8GzeBI.png

For BFR (starship):

rX7KQv6.png

Edited by pmborg

• 1 year later...

Non-FTL in KSPIE are not allowed, thus Alcubierre drive is forbidden, is there any other engine not allowed?

Is scaling REX with stock system allowed? I mean changing settings.cfg in REX to match stellar distance of RSS but having small planets.

// Stock Scaling
    // stellarDistanceScale:NEEDS[!RealSolarSystem] = 0.09512
    stellarDistanceScale:NEEDS[!RealSolarSystem] = 1

1 hour ago, Zapataz said:

Non-FTL in KSPIE are not allowed, thus Alcubierre drive is forbidden, is there any other engine not allowed?

Is scaling REX with stock system allowed? I mean changing settings.cfg in REX to match stellar distance of RSS but having small planets.

// Stock Scaling
    // stellarDistanceScale:NEEDS[!RealSolarSystem] = 0.09512
    stellarDistanceScale:NEEDS[!RealSolarSystem] = 1

Yes that  sounds alright.

Proof

Duration: 19 years 311 days

Max Speed: not sure... vertical speed displayed is about 149,000,000 which is about 0.5c. Average speed should be close to 0.25c

Launch mass: What for? Launching 80T into orbit is trivial in sandbox mode.

Interstellar Dry Mass: about 59t

Interstellar Wet Mass: about 80t

Part count: 25

Cost: 11,543,300

DeltaV: a lot :)

My goal was to provide an "cheap" interstellar probe for my own campaign. As I'm playing with the stock system I added REX with a scale factor of 1, which mean small stock planets but interstellar distances that match the real ones. In my campaign I will launch the probe with a reusable rocket.

For building this vessel, I needed 100cl of blood of black goat, a pentacle and reading some pages of the Necronomicon. Plus an EM drive. It is believed to not work, but only miscreant without faith could think it is not working (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/350108418_High-Accuracy_Thrust_Measurements_of_the_EMDrive_and_Elimination_of_False-Positive_Effects). Electrical power is provided by a Tri Alpha reactor. Other reactors could be used but this one provide large amount of power, doesn't request much cooling nor fuel and it's efficiency is not decreasing over the time. He3 is expensive but can be harvested and the total cost could be earned in campaign mode. A large magnetic scope is use to decelerate when at full speed, thus reducing travel time.

It possible to go faster with more fuel and a larger reactor. I did some tests and was able to reach 0.7c in 45 years but it is far more expensive. I'm sure that some optimization is possible and Proksima could be reached in less than 19 years. Maybe with an other kind of reactor that could provide more power.

Cost without He3 it is about 1,100.000

For information I did some tests with the antimatter drive, faster speed could be achieved but the cost and mass are tremendous.

@Zapataz Congratulations  for achieving the first Interstellar Journey using a propellant less propulsion engine. Yes this is defiantly one of the cheaper fast options. It would have been significantly cheaper using alternative fuel modes like p-Li fusion. This mode also allows you to use some of the collected hydrogen from the magnetic scoop for fusion power for the final deceleration. Another method you could have used the magnetic scoop for was to use is as magnetic break in the ionosphere. Its called magnetic breaking and can be more effective than atmospheric breaking but without the nasty heating effects. Sheers!

Edited by FreeThinker

i am going to do an RO/RSS/RP1 career series with future technology, with going interstellar as the ultimate goal... (it will take a long LONG time though...)

and i know this challenge doesn't allow warp drives, but i will only use those after i have gone interstellar with STL engines at least once.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Alright, after quite a while of tampering with the design, I think I have a winner.

Introducing the U.S.S. Vainglory, as it goes to Proxima Centari B and back in 27 years, and has a one way travel time of 13 years.

The main power source is magic a quatum singularity reactor with a magnetic nozzle attached, combined with more magic Mach Effect thrusters as afterburners. For the record, although the STL systems in KSPIE are pretty balanced, these parts are crazy good, even more so than antimatter reactors, so naturally, I had to exploit them for profit  maximum speed.

Proof (Warning: Long): 

https://imgur.com/a/7bKurxp

On 11/13/2021 at 7:32 AM, GenerallyCompetent said:

Alright, after quite a while of tampering with the design, I think I have a winner.

Introducing the U.S.S. Vainglory, as it goes to Proxima Centari B and back in 27 years, and has a one way travel time of 13 years.

The main power source is magic a quatum singularity reactor with a magnetic nozzle attached, combined with more magic Mach Effect thrusters as afterburners. For the record, although the STL systems in KSPIE are pretty balanced, these parts are crazy good, even more so than antimatter reactors, so naturally, I had to exploit them for profit  maximum speed.

Proof (Warning: Long): 

https://imgur.com/a/7bKurxp

Congratulation on completing the first Quantum Singularity Powered return trip to Proxima Centauri. Yes combining the QSR with the Mangnetic Scoop (or magnetic sail) technically makes it capable of doing grand universe similar to a Bussard Ramjet Ship, but much more efficient due to its much high Mass to Energy conversion rate.

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.