FreeThinker

The KSP Interstellar Proxima Centauri Challenge

This is a closer look at the "MiniSpaceShuttev1":

qqMu3FD.png

I will study what you are suggesting, but please note that the mini elevator from MainSpaceShip and the ground should work in any planet with any type of atmosphere, that is the advantage of this one.

XZjL56H.png

I tried what you suggested, but the ship become:

• (-)heavier
  • (-)less deltaV
  • (-)less stable, outside of atmosphere
  • (-)less power.

Maybe I am doing something wrong.

ZLp5pqj.png

Except the air-intake for both sides.

I am using for fuel:

• Atmosphere
  • Liqd HydrogenPeroxide
Edited by pmborg

On 9/7/2019 at 5:34 PM, pmborg said:

I tried what you suggested, but the ship become:

• (-)heavier
  • (-)less deltaV
  • (-)less stable, outside of atmosphere
  • (-)less power.

Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Notice the deltaV calculation is wrong because atmosphere propulsion gives virtual unlimted DeltaV.

50 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Notice the deltaV calculation is wrong because atmosphere propulsion gives virtual unlimted DeltaV.

Hello,

I shared both Shuttle versions here:

In case if you have time to check what is wrong, with v2 in comparison with v1.

Tomorrow night, I will try to Test the new release (Version 1.22.12) on the latest upgraded model:"InterStellarShuttle-v5-2Dv2":

VLgZg2n.png

qPlx69J.png

Jr4oS8D.png

SUQZRLp.png

The MiniShuttleShip and the respective payload were also updated:

•  The two robotic arms (on closed position) make the pickup maneuver easier from the: Graber Claw
  • The radiators were also updated once found that the main radiators are better to interstellar journey (4000K) but they don't work well in atmosphere (limit 1200K)
  • This ones are very good in atmosphere (3000K)
  • NOTE: The refuel of the MiniShuttleShip is done converting the solidHydrogen from mothership into LH2 (once mothership have powerful Scoopers which allow the refuel as many times as needed)

E4A0qwO.png

Edited by pmborg

Hello again!

I would like to add just one more small detail, about this last ship version/project (InterStellarShuttle-v5-2Dv2), this is a detailed view of the ship seats:

5MkYTo0.png

The Generic Idea is to have a Colony Group of "50 seats", with 50 Cryonic Seats (optional solution for an emergency), the ship have 12 extra seats, for "un-planned" births (I hope that it is enough...) for a Journey about 18/19 years to Alfa Centaury 4.2 light years away.

Avg numbers of the tries so far:

Total Ship Capability: 110.3M deltaV

• About 1 year to do rendezvous Jupiter and refuel at an altitude between 1900km and 1600km, note dead zone at 1550km
  • 2 years to accelerate
  • 12 years to journey, 100,000 km/s (33.3% light speed)
  • 2 years to de-accelerate  (this is still and area of improvement, because sometimes, I take more time to de-accelerate)
  • Between 1 and 2 years to final start orbit and rendezvous planet

SUM: between 18 and 19 years

Note original capability was 117M delta-V but with mini-ship-shuttle and after adding more seats, the potentially deltaV capability Dropped to 110M

At the end of Journey there is an extra fuel maneuver capacity, between 2M and 5M deltaV

Note: its always possible to refuel at 100% again near by a gas giant planet of that star system.

if necessary is possible to abort the mission in a specific Star and go to another nearby Star?

• Testing this possibility, due fertilizer and other life-support systems, for now for sure work, the "emergency plan" and freeze everybody and use remote control.
  • This MiniShuttle Ship now can transport 12K Ore to the main Interstellar ship.

Any ideas or comments from your precious hints @FreeThinker ?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by pmborg