FreeThinker

The KSP Interstellar Proxima Centauri Challenge

Recommended Posts

Another think that I would like to have help if possible, is about the RCS reaction wheels I am using:

  • HX1-SAS Reaction Wheel (scale 20m) but this reduce me 2M deltaV, in the total cost of the Journey, any ideas?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pmborg said:

Yes I made the confirmation "Kerbstein fusion engine" in a ship of this scale is useless.

I gain 60k deltaV, with 4 engines "Kerbstein fusion engine"  scale 40m

 

mm, yes the scaling is 2.5 instead of 2, like with the deadalus. Going you fix that for next release. You can implement it now by opening Kerbstein2.cfg and updating Tweakscale partmodule to

    	MODULE
    	{
		name = TweakScale
		type = stack_square
		defaultScale = 5
		scaleFactors = 2.5, 3.75, 5, 7.5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 40
    	}

 

1 hour ago, pmborg said:

Another think that I would like to have help if possible, is about the RCS reaction wheels I am using:

  • HX1-SAS Reaction Wheel (scale 20m) but this reduce me 2M deltaV, in the total cost of the Journey, any ideas?

 

have you tried the KSPIE computer Core?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

mm, yes the scaling is 2.5 instead of 2, like with the deadalus. Going you fix that for next release. You can implement it now by opening Kerbstein2.cfg and updating Tweakscale partmodule to


    	MODULE
    	{
		name = TweakScale
		type = stack_square
		defaultScale = 5
		scaleFactors = 2.5, 3.75, 5, 7.5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 40
    	}

 

have you tried the KSPIE computer Core?

Yes, much better now with computer core, is just 74K deltaV :) nice nice

UPDATE:

Testing now the change in "Kerbstein2.cfg", I am getting

  • I have done all updates today, but crashed my installation, need to roll back to previous, and test this later/tomorrow, if I don't found the cause soon (I don't want to pollute this thread with mods/update errors.)
Edited by pmborg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Got 2hours to debug it in 100 plugins, but finally got it!

Was using:

        "name": "KSPInterstellarExtended",
        "version": "1.22.2.4"

Working fine with:
GameData/WildBlueIndustries/Buffalo/Buffalo.version
     "KSP_VERSION_MIN":{
         "MAJOR":1,
         "MINOR":7,
         "PATCH":0
 

After updating "KSPInterstellarExtended" FROM:
        "version": "1.22.2.4"
        TO
        "name": "KSPInterstellarExtended",
        "version": "1.22.5.4"

KSP "Hangs" in the middle of load and progress bar stop and there isn't any error in KSP.log just hangs
But ok, I will leave the Buffalo plugin aside for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, pmborg said:


Got 2hours to debug it in 100 plugins, but finally got it!

Was using:

        "name": "KSPInterstellarExtended",
        "version": "1.22.2.4"

Working fine with:
GameData/WildBlueIndustries/Buffalo/Buffalo.version
     "KSP_VERSION_MIN":{
         "MAJOR":1,
         "MINOR":7,
         "PATCH":0
 

After updating "KSPInterstellarExtended" FROM:
        "version": "1.22.2.4"
        TO
        "name": "KSPInterstellarExtended",
        "version": "1.22.5.4"

KSP "Hangs" in the middle of load and progress bar stop and there isn't any error in KSP.log just hangs
But ok, I will leave the Buffalo plugin aside for now.

Ah yes, that's a known bug, it is caused by having the technode wbiGuppy1 beeing registred twise by WildBlueIndustries Buffalo. The fix is to rename one the wbiGuppy1 into wbiGuppy2

see also

 

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was making another video hoping that now all problems about "Jool Refuel",  were solved to publish it but, the current situation is this:

 

19 hours ago, pmborg said:
  • HX1-SAS Reaction Wheel (scale 20m) but this reduce me 2M deltaV, in the total cost of the Journey, any ideas?

 

  • [NOK] Computer Core (scale 20m) is better as HX1-SAS Reaction Wheel (scale 20m), in terms of deltaV costs, but the ship don't move/rotate is just not powering enough as HX1-SAS Reaction Wheel
  • [OK] All problems about stress and refuel were solved, except
  • [NOK] one last thing, convert Hydrogen into Solid Hydrogen (Bussard fuel is not working)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, is "BIG" the shadow is sometimes the runway length...

sH6bm16.png

Last Try, need to manage a way to convert: "Hydrogen into SolidHydrogen"

rt6cY4j.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@pmborg This evening I will try to add some better timewarp effects to the Pure Fusion engines, which will show metter exhaust effects, even durring high timewarp. So don't make any video's yet

 

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solid hydrogen is the solid state of the element hydrogen, achieved by decreasing the temperature below hydrogen's melting point of 14.01 K (−259.14 °C; −434.45 °F).

I was hoping that "ISRU Refrigerator" would do the job:

Hydrogen -> LqdHydrogen -> SolidHydrogen

Any Idea why is not working?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, pmborg said:

Solid hydrogen is the solid state of the element hydrogen, achieved by decreasing the temperature below hydrogen's melting point of 14.01 K (−259.14 °C; −434.45 °F).

I was hoping that "ISRU Refrigerator" would do the job:

Hydrogen -> LqdHydrogen -> SolidHydrogen

Any Idea why is not working?

There are 2 known methods:  the IFS Cryo Tank has a build in LqdHydrogen to Solid Hydrogen converter, or or use the stock converter on the  Bussard Engine. I will add it to the ISRU Refrigerator for next release

The ISRU Refridgerator should also have the converter, is is not visible?

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FreeThinker said:

@pmborg Have you notice there is a secondary Bussard Fusion with an new model?

Looking into it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pmborg said:

Yes, is "BIG" the shadow is sometimes the runway length...

sH6bm16.png

 

Cool, I'm not sure if this would work under Kerbin gravity, they were mend to function in space. Its something that I have not implemented yet.

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Cool, but realisticly speaking, this would only work in space, under Kerbin these balls would probably collaps under their own gravity, it realism feature I haven't implemented yet.

The take off is only possible with "empty tanks", actually with all fuel onboard sometimes all structure colapse (on Kerbin Surface)

Edited by pmborg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pmborg said:

The take off is only possible with "empty tanks", actually with all fuel onboard sometimes all structure colapse.

Ok, in that case, they would be realisticly be filled with Hydrogen/Helium Gas, they are technically insulateed baloons, but that can be ignored in terms of mass.

Edit: but how does the gravity or Jool affect them?

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The takeoff is done with "Hydrogen Gas" and "insulateed baloons" yes, only and them like 0.01% of fuel in Daedalus engine to reach Jool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@pmborg But what about the gas station, are you putting the entire vessel under Jool Mass? Isn't the gravity of jool a lot higher?

Edit: lol, surface gravity Jool is only 0.8g, I didn't expect that for such  a giant. I wonder what the surface gravity of Jupiter is .

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

@pmborg But what about the gas station, are you putting the entire vessel under Jool Mass? Isn't the gravity of jool a lot higher?

Actually the "insulateed baloons" work even better with "full tanks" in Jool than in Kerbin once the atmosphere is more dense.

in Kerbin dont fly at all... with full tanks, but fly on Jool

Edited by pmborg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pmborg said:

Actually the "insulateed baloons" work even better with "full tanks" in Jool than in Kerbin once the atmosphere is more dense.

in Kerbin dont fly at at... with full tanks, but fly on Jool

mmm, stil might be too much stress on the tanks, wouldn't it realisticly make sence to have some specialized vessel for this task?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

mmm, stil might be too much stress on the tanks, wouldn't it realisticly make sence to have some specialized vessel for this task?

This is something that need a confirmation after a full flight, with this new version of the ship:

  • Kerbin takeoff
  • Jool Orbit
  • Jool Refuel
  • Jool Orbit

 

About new engine ... the new model have much less TWR than before is this normal?

DyHIwYj.png

giX5TbT.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, pmborg said:

About new engine ... the new model have much less TWR than before is this normal?

DyHIwYj.png

giX5TbT.png

mm, I guess I need to tweak them to be at least as good at the old one

Edit: Ok, I see the problem, their base scale differ, will fix that in next release

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I probably also need to modify the exahaust damage and range, which effectivly act like a particle weapon .. :cool:

If anyone ever would be attacked by an incomming missle, you could use the nozzle exhaust as active defence

see also https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WeaponizedExhaust

 

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a full success in going from Kerbin to Jool and refuel

I will try/adapt from Earth like and Jupiter, actually I have done a kinda of a modified version of RealSolarSystem adapted by me to test this at the final version:

  • Just replacing Kerbing -> Earth
  • add moon and
  • add Jupiter only to Kerbol System.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

(Big version) With "Daedalus_and_Bussard-v3_2-less":

  • Takeoff Done
  • Refueling Done
  • Takeoff from Jool Orbit was not possible indeed, with this current ship version: "Daedalus_and_Bussard-v3_2-less"

The problem is that the TWR of 4 NV-GX engines at 0.50 (200km altitude) vs 0.15 (80 km altitude), made this not possible

 

(Mini version) With "5millionDv-v3_0-nobuffalo" all the steps were done with a mini scale version o the ship.

  • Takeoff Done
  • Refueling Done
  • Takeoff from Jool Orbit

The problem is that the TWR of 4 NV-GX engines dropped from 1.76 (200km altitude) vs 0.50 (80 km altitude),  made this possible

 

 

Or I need to make the refuel at a higher altitude and at a relative "high speed", help it a bit

Breaking Gravity using 3 things:

  • Ballons
  • Hydrogen Rockets ( Free/Infinite fuel, since scoop bigger than what is being used ) doing vertical force
  • Centrifugal force of orbit speed

All these 3 forces together need to be bigger than gravity

Edited by pmborg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.