[KSP 1.6.1] Stock Visual Enhancements [v1.4.1] [20 March 2019]

Galileo

For a while now, I have disliked the volumetric clouds that are included with EVE/SVE. I'm surprised nobody has ever complained about how cartoonish they look.  Tonight I decided to fix that and I'm pretty sure I'm in love with the new particle I made. This will also allow for better dust effects on the Mun and Duna. Just look at the results and let me know what you think! this will also allow for better dust effects on the Mun and Duna.

17 minutes ago, Benji13 said:

This mod looks spectacular. I am looking at getting a new computer and the best GPU I can afford is a Nvidia GeForce 940MX 2gb (I'm poor). How well would would this be able to run SVE? 

Well, I honestly cant tell you :( I'm not too keen on GPU's and their benchmarking. From what I just read though, I think you should be able to run the medium or low resolution no issue but it all really depends on your processor. KSP is pretty CPU heavy thanks to the physics of the game. A GPU wont really help you all that much with KSP but rocking an i3 processor wont help your cause either so I would look at getting at least an i5 or an i7 with whatever computer/laptop you decide to buy. I hope this helps and I hope you are able to enjoy this mod in the near future!

Edited by Berlin

I always had problems with the volumetric clouds as well, but mostly because of weird lighting (why are they always kinda grey?). But to be honest I usually have to turn them off because of FPS issues. :(

Those new ones do look way better though and I might just have to sacrifice some of those frames...

4 minutes ago, TGSAP said:

I always had problems with the volumetric clouds as well, but mostly because of weird lighting (why are they always kinda grey?). But to be honest I usually have to turn them off because of FPS issues. :(

Those new ones do look way better though and I might just have to sacrifice some of those frames...

Yeah the clouds always did kinda look like rain clouds..  These stay pretty white.  So I can probably say with confidence that the grayness was caused by EVE's rgb cloud particle.  I'm probably wrong but these do stay pretty darn white. 

1 minute ago, Berlin said:

Yeah the clouds always did kinda look like rain clouds..  These stay pretty white.  So I can probably say with confidence that the grayness was caused by EVE's rgb cloud particle.  I'm probably wrong but these do stay pretty darn white. 

I managed to get them whiter by messing with their properties (I think it was their scattering properties or something like that?), but then at sunset they still looked white while the 2D ones looked grey... Anyway, never managed to quite work them out.

Is it possible you could make an ultra super low res cloud texture for this? you see i has crappy tin can computer that runs on i3 (rip me.) I love this mod but i cant run it and it would be amazing if i could atleast run it at 15-20 fps, the normal low texture runs for me at like 5-10 fps, and you see i get a better processor when i get more money and im not that rich, lol. so uhhhh it would be awesome if you actually did that ultra super low res cloud texture, but you dont have to.

1 hour ago, TheHiddenKitten said:

Is there a way to reduce the density of clouds or turn them off? They seem to hurt fps pretty bad. Also, if I turn them off will the clouds that you can see in orbit still be there?

You can go into the cfgs and delete the vumetric clouds

4 hours ago, Neptunian said:

Is it possible you could make an ultra super low res cloud texture for this? you see i has crappy tin can computer that runs on i3 (rip me.) I love this mod but i cant run it and it would be amazing if i could atleast run it at 15-20 fps, the normal low texture runs for me at like 5-10 fps, and you see i get a better processor when i get more money and im not that rich, lol. so uhhhh it would be awesome if you actually did that ultra super low res cloud texture, but you dont have to.

Have you tried disabling the volumetric clouds or playing without scatterer? 

13 hours ago, Berlin said:

For a while now, I have disliked the volumetric clouds that are included with EVE/SVE. I'm surprised nobody has ever complained about how cartoonish they look.  Tonight I decided to fix that and I'm pretty sure I'm in love with the new particle I made. This will also allow for better dust effects on the Mun and Duna. Just look at the results and let me know what you think!

I've preferred KSPRC's clouds but these I find very appealing from the screenshots. Will def be checking them out when they are released. Good work

37 minutes ago, TheHiddenKitten said:

What config would I change to make all clouds look like Amney's screenshot?

No  would ask @Amnesy but it doesn't look like they changed anything 

28 minutes ago, Gaiiden said:

I've preferred KSPRC's clouds but these I find very appealing from the screenshots. Will def be checking them out when they are released. Good work

I don't think you can tell in the photo but I changed the cfg a bit so that the volumetric clouds follow the detail texture, meaning if there is not a main cloud texture above you,  there will not be any volumetric clouds. Much more realistic. I hope to have an update by this coming weekend :)

On 2016-07-22 at 6:04 PM, Tekener said:

The question is what exactly you want? Do you want the dust on Mun to disappear, then simply remove the Mun section from clouds.cfg. Berlin added the dust clouds to make it more "alien" and because the real moon has very very thin dust clouds as well.

But if you want them to be different, behave differently or appear in other areas that's something Berlin can try if you explain in more detail what you're looking for.

Alright,  I didn't know that was actually part of the mod itself. I was just curious if it could be manually edited out. Thanks for the help

21 hours ago, Shadriss said:

Random thought: EVE adds in glowing light "city" textures on the night side... would it be possible to use the same techniques to create a night-side version of the auroras already seen on the day side? If the two textures were identical, just with the differing application, than the overlap at the terminators should align correctly and present the appearance of a single entity, yes? Wouldn't give us a truly illuminating aurora, but it may give us the next best thing.

Sorry to quote myself here, but I am curious if this would be a partial fix to the aurora issue.

18 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

Sorry to quote myself here, but I am curious if this would be a partial fix to the aurora issue.

No it woulnt work. Afaik I have tried it and the aurora detail just shows up on the terrain and look awful 

OK so I tried my best to combine the most popular choices.. this is what I came up with.. hope you like it because I'm not gonna put myself through the process of creating that many textures again lol

Lf2UmG7.png

Edited by Berlin

7 hours ago, Berlin said:

OK so I tried my best to combine the most popular choices.. this is what I came up with.. hope you like it because I'm not gonna put myself through the process of creating that many textures again lol

I like it!

Chiming in to say that Ubuntu 16.04 + SVE 1.0.4 + padoka's ppa + launching with MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.2COMPAT DRI_PRIME=1 ./KSP.x86_64 -force-glcore42 has fixed for me a long standing "blue band" issue when leaving the atmosphere.

City light textures still bug out as described in some older threads, that seems to be something with the texture loading, and ActiveTextureManager is not updated for 1.1.3 on CKAN. Green sky issue seems to go away when gl compat is 4.2 instead of 3.x, but it's kinda sporadic.

Edited by ImaSpaceJunk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.