[KSP 1.6.1] Stock Visual Enhancements [v1.4.1] [20 March 2019]

Galileo

5 minutes ago, Dafni said:

I'm also beginning to wonder what kind of computer is required to run these kind of mods smooth. What is the usual bottleneck? None of my resources seem maxed out.

I have always noticable drop in FPS if I'm running something else on a second display then KSP, like Twitch stream or Youtube video (especially in fullscreen). The problem may be to some extent somewhere else, not in these mods.

1 minute ago, Benji13 said:

How well do you think this mod would go with an i7 (2.6, boosted to 3.4) and a GTX 960m? I have plenty of ram so that won't be a problem. 

I can say only one thing, try it for yourself :wink: You can always delete it. If you have a Steam version of the game, then you can switch on FPS overlay in the game.

11 minutes ago, maja said:

I can say only one thing, try it for yourself :wink: You can always delete it. If you have a Steam version of the game, then you can switch on FPS overlay in the game.

I would, it's just that I don't actually have the laptop yet. I'm working towards it and I just wanted to know if it could run it so the knowledge could fuel my passion... and my dreams. 

But not the second one. That would be weird...

5 hours ago, fourfa said:

Rad.  Next question if it's not too much - the default atmospheric opacity on Kerbin surface in the new 1.2 pack is a little... smoggy for my taste.  I'd like to adjust it to more of a crisp wilderness vista feel, like having a clear view of the mountains from KSC.  Is that an option to play with in Scatterer?  In the SVE configs?

I looked for a Scatterer FAQ or manual - can't make head or tail of the innumerable options there.  If this is better posted in the Scatterer thread, that's fine

I have those settings for 1.1.3 scatter and I managed to get them ported over to the new 1.2 scatterer (there were some config layout/organization changes but thankfully all the properties stayed the same). Get it here. Drop it in your GameData folder and overwrite (or rename the default cfg first). I like to keep two copies of scatterer outside of GameData I can swap in and out for day/night versions as I prefer the default scatterer values for daytime viewing.

@Galileo does SVE change any scatterer settings or just use the default?

Hey everyone, so today I plugged in my old video card which is a GTX 960 which is a pretty okay card that I used to develop on and I know that sve can run on it. However the performance was abysmal to say the least. tonight I plan on rewriting the configurations from scratch to see where I can gain a few more FPS. I'm not sure where the performance drop is coming from because nothing has changed since 1.1.3 minus the glowing Aurora's. Maybe Eve is not optimized enough to work with 1.2 but I can't see that being the case. But maybe what I'm asking sve to do is just too much. Either way I'm going to look at optimizing my configurations for sve tonight. 

Edited by Galileo

17 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Hey everyone, so today I plugged in my old video card which is a GTX 960 which is a pretty okay card that I used to develop on and I know that sve can run on it. However the performance was abysmal to say the least. tonight I plan on rewriting the configurations from scratch to see where I can gain a few more FPS. I'm not sure where the performance drop is coming from because nothing has changed since 1.1.3 minus the glowing Aurora's. Maybe Eve is not optimized enough to work with 1.2 but I can't see that being the case. But maybe what I'm asking sve to do is just too much. Either way I'm going to look at optimizing my configurations for sve tonight. 

Same here with a 980ti. Now I am running the Hi-res version of SVE and I did notice after your latest update last night (although technically for Linux) the performance was better, but I was going to try dropping to the MR or LR versions and not be able to use the HR

edit - I take that back.  I'm getting about 40 fps at the KSC with a GTX 1080 with the medium pack.  Then again, I was getting some severe lag with just EVE installed.  There might be something going on there, as I believe Waz said multiple layers can be pretty harsh.  Pretty surprising when a game like KSP gives nVidia's flagship a gut punch.

Edited by Hyomoto

3 minutes ago, Hyomoto said:

I wouldn't worry about your card too much, I have a GTX 1080 and was getting sub 30 fps in places with only EVE installed.  My point is, in case anyone misses it, I'm seriously doubtful it's graphical lag.  KSP has always been a CPU-intensive game and I'm guessing the latest updates haven't done anything to alleviate that.  Generally speaking if you aren't using an integrated GPU, you probably have enough graphical overhead to handle EVE and Scatterer with only a minimal damage to your FPS, rbray and BlackRack have done quite a bit to optimize those mods.  There's likely something else causing it in the new update.

That said, I don't seem to run into those issues at the KSC.

Yeah I have a 1070 but was averaging 40-50 with my latest release.  While that's lower than in the past, but playable for me,  not everyone has a card like that.  I know ksp is a CPU intensive game and  I'm using a i5 4690k so I have plenty power there.  so,  you are probably right about it being something in the game causing this.  But I still think I can try to optimize sve a little more anyway.  

55 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Yeah I have a 1070 but was averaging 40-50 with my latest release.  While that's lower than in the past, but playable for me,  not everyone has a card like that.  I know ksp is a CPU intensive game and  I'm using a i5 4690k so I have plenty power there.  so,  you are probably right about it being something in the game causing this.  But I still think I can try to optimize sve a little more anyway.  

It's certainly worth a try.  For the record though I meant if I'm getting lag with a GTX 1080, I don't think it's your work that's causing it.  I just did a few basic KSC tests and it looks like EVE is the bottleneck.  It's my guess that it's not working as well as we might like in 1.2.  I don't have an old version to go do frame rate tests on, but as far as I recall from doing old tests, generally speaking EVE's impact was never 80 fps.  I went ahead and used my old cloud configs and it went back up to ~70 so while you probably have denser cloud layers, without flat out getting rid of stuff I'll be interested to see what you can do to help that.  Personally I like your cloud layers, they look nice.

EVE is a really old mod, and it's likely that it is in dire need of a ground-up rewrite.  rBray was clearly very talented, but he mostly just did maintenance updates for the past few KSP versions and it's very likely EVE is starting to come apart at the seams.  What can I say other than, good luck!

edit- I noticed some of your textures might not be powers of 2, maybe EVE doesn't like that? detailCumulus.dds is 1500^2

Edited by Hyomoto

39 minutes ago, Hyomoto said:

edit- I noticed some of your textures might not be powers of 2, maybe EVE doesn't like that? detailCumulus.dds is 1500^2

Oh, really? Interesting that they aren't. Patterns and textures should always be a resolution of a power of two in both directions to enable the gpu/cpu to do fast calculations on them.

The used patterns must be resized internally to calculate the different distances. In a dds file the lower resolutions (always by a power of two) are also included to save the valuable time of this calculation process (Mip Mapping). However, if the resolutions are something like 1500 x 1500 this is not working correctly and in case the dds are not using such mipmaps combined with such an unusual resolution it can cause slowdowns. Don't know if it can be that extreme, but I could imagine there is a noticeable impact.

Edited by Tekener

1 hour ago, Hyomoto said:

It's certainly worth a try.  For the record though I meant if I'm getting lag with a GTX 1080, I don't think it's your work that's causing it.  I just did a few basic KSC tests and it looks like EVE is the bottleneck.  It's my guess that it's not working as well as we might like in 1.2.  I don't have an old version to go do frame rate tests on, but as far as I recall from doing old tests, generally speaking EVE's impact was never 80 fps.  I went ahead and used my old cloud configs and it went back up to ~70 so while you probably have denser cloud layers, without flat out getting rid of stuff I'll be interested to see what you can do to help that.  Personally I like your cloud layers, they look nice.

EVE is a really old mod, and it's likely that it is in dire need of a ground-up rewrite.  rBray was clearly very talented, but he mostly just did maintenance updates for the past few KSP versions and it's very likely EVE is starting to come apart at the seams.  What can I say other than, good luck!

Thanks for pointing of the power of 2 thing.  I don't know what I was thinking.  I'll have to fix that

13 hours ago, Galileo said:

I noticed a bad performance loss on a Radeon R9 390 (w/ 8gb GDDR5 memory), an AMD FX8350 4GHz 8-core processor running KSP 1.2. EVE + Scatterer = 50% physics time loss (had the Kerbokatz mod to tell me that). Scatterer by itself resulted in a 30% loss. I didn't see anything in the logs that could account for that, but it was slow as heck using just a ~20-part craft (the biplane from Firespitter at the KSC). I'll try SVE to see if anything changes.

Edited by Bombaatu

Hello @Galileo ! Thank you for your pack ! Even if I use only your EVE settings and textures, for scatterer and Distant objects I use the default settings.

Also, I've removed your 3 layers of atmo to save about 20 fps. I would have preferred to keep this layers but it was not possible, my fps was too low.

And I've a question, is it possible to change the light or color of clouds for the day/night transition? I think they look too dark or black. See below:

54565A1AD8A918EA79AEB6F4FEB738DB2BD2A198

28 minutes ago, Vandest said:

And I've a question, is it possible to change the light or color of clouds for the day/night transition? I think they look too dark or black.

That is something that I can't do unfortunately.  Blackrack was working on something like that in scatterer and he will probably include sometime in the future

@Galileo sir can you at least tell me how can i modify the cloud layers? also, I don't know if this is how you guys handle the clouds or not, but, if it was me, i would get the height of the craft then if it was bellow certain amount or above another amount, i would render single layer of detailed cloud, other wise it would mean the craft is transiting between clouds, that is when i would add layers of cloud and maybe reduce the camera's far clip plan if it was accessible

another trick during transition could be to use few layers but as soon as it would be passed and not be visible by camera (hard to handle this with free cameras but meh) then i would jump move it to a new proper place (sort of object pooling)

Edited by Jiraiyah

5 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

@Galileo sir can you at least tell me how can i modify the cloud layers? also, I don't know if this is how you guys handle the clouds or not, but, if it was me, i would get the height of the craft then if it was bellow certain amount or above another amount, i would render single layer of detailed cloud, other wise it would mean the craft is transiting between clouds, that is when i would add layers of cloud and maybe reduce the camera's far clip plan if it was accessible

another trick during transition could be to use few layers but as soon as it would be passed and not be visible by camera (hard to handle this with free cameras but meh) then i would jump move it to a new proper place (sort of object pooling)

You can hit alt+0 to open the gui and play with the cloud layers that way but if you mean to alter the actual textures you will need photoshop. 

@Galileo I'm having a bit of trouble..

Not sure what the bug actually is but apparently everything working fine in this...

Except for the clouds. They don't show up, nor do any other part of the configs except for scatterer, planetshine, and DOVE.

Is it because I have them disabled? If that's the case, what's the EVE menu hotkey?

If it's not, do you have a solution?

I would appreciate it if there was a fix :)

8 hours ago, Galileo said:

sorry Galileo, I apologise in advance because you're not going to like this.

I have a GTX 960 too and just tried the high res pack and I'm getting 50-60fps, I am running on an i7 4790K so perhaps that's the difference.

4 minutes ago, MartGonzo said:

sorry Galileo, I apologise in advance because you're not going to like this.

I have a GTX 960 too and just tried the high res pack and I'm getting 50-60fps, I am running on an i7 4790K so perhaps that's the difference.

No sometimes i get even higher than that :)

i use a GTX 1070 but i wanted to see what the performance was like on a lesser card.

http://imgur.com/a/BOYDn

3 minutes ago, Galileo said:

No sometimes i get even higher than that :)

i use a GTX 1070 but i wanted to see what the performance was like on a lesser card.

http://imgur.com/a/BOYDn

hmm, seems like it's massively variable, I can only assume it's bottlenecking on your chip which of course it really shouldn't be doing.

well I'm confused, no idea why that would be, sorry for jumping in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.