[KSP 1.6.1] Stock Visual Enhancements [v1.4.1] [20 March 2019]

Galileo

UPDATE

Change Log

• Entire mod now done with Module Manager configs.
  • New Scatterer sunflare
  • Added MiniAVC

TO INSTALL

Optional (recommended mods)

@politas I want to thoroughly apologize for changing the format in which SVE is distributed again, but this should be the absolute easiest way for ckan do work with SVE.

Edited by Galileo

2 hours ago, SkyKaptn said:

Looking at the changelog, is this an update (except new flare) mostly to implement MM? Or are there config tweaks to the visuals as well under the hood?

Just a concert to mm is all for now. There isn't a whole lot I can do until scatterer gets fixed.

Edited by Galileo

3 minutes ago, Spartwo said:

Is there any way to install this but keep the EVE Jool and Laythe, they look a bit too far from stock for my liking. And I don't want to give up the incredible auroras.

It's a lot harder now that everything is an MM cfg.

im in class now but I'll try to get you some instructions this evening

UPDATE

Change Log

• MM cfgs no longer disables other visual packs

TO INSTALL

Optional (recommended mods)

Edited by Galileo

11 hours ago, Spartwo said:

Is there any way to install this but keep the EVE Jool and Laythe, they look a bit too far from stock for my liking. And I don't want to give up the incredible auroras.

To keep default EVE Jool and Laythe follow these steps closely.

FOR JOOL:

1. Replace SVE's Jool cloud nodes with this block of code in the EVE_Clouds section of SVE_Settings.cfg

OBJECT
	{
		name = Jool-clouds1
		body = Jool
		altitude = 4500
		speed = 0,90,0
		detailSpeed = 0,6,0
		settings
		{
			_DetailTex = StockVisualEnhancements/Textures/detaileve1
			_UVNoiseTex = StockVisualEnhancements/Textures/uvnoise1
			_UVNoiseScale = 0.1
			_UVNoiseStrength = 0.007
			_UVNoiseAnimation = 1,0.1
			_DetailScale = 120
			_Color = 26,43,16,255
			_MainTex
			{
				value = StockVisualEnhancements/Textures/jool
				type = AlphaCubeMap
				alphaMask = ALPHAMAP_R
			}
		}
		layer2D
		{
			macroCloudMaterial
			{
				_DetailDist = 2E-06
			}
		}
		layerVolume
		{
			size = 4000,2
			maxTranslation = 0,100,0
			particleMaterial
			{
				_Tex = StockVisualEnhancements/Textures/particle/rgb
				_BumpMap = StockVisualEnhancements/Textures/particle/particle_NRM
				_LightScatter = 0.55
			}
		}
	}

2. Locate EVE's Jool textures BoulderCo>Textures>JoolXp / JoolXn / JoolYp / JoolYn / JoolZp / JoolZn
and  BoulderCo>Atmosphere>Textures>detaileve1

3. Copy and and paste them into StockVisualEnhancements>Textures

FOR LAYTHE:

1. Replace SVE's Laythe cloud nodes with this block of code in the EVE_Clouds section of SVE_Settings.cfg (DO NOT DELETE THE LAYTHE-AURORA NODE IF YOU WISH TO KEEP IT)

OBJECT
	{
		name = Laythe-clouds1
		body = Laythe
		altitude = 6000
		detailSpeed = 0,6,0
		settings
		{
			_DetailTex = StockVisualEnhancements/Textures/detail1
			_UVNoiseTex = StockVisualEnhancements/Textures/uvnoise1
			_DetailScale = 20
			_Color = 102,102,153,255
			_MainTex
			{
				value = StockVisualEnhancements/Textures/cube
				type = AlphaCubeMap
			}
		}
		layer2D
		{
			shadowMaterial
			{
			}
			macroCloudMaterial
			{
				_DetailDist = 2E-06
			}
		}
		layerVolume
		{
			size = 4000,2
			maxTranslation = 0,100,0
			particleMaterial
			{
				_Tex = StockVisualEnhancements/Textures/particle/rgb
				_BumpMap = StockVisualEnhancements/Textures/particle/particle_NRM
				_LightScatter = 0.55
			}
		}
	}

2. Locate EVE's Laythe textures BoulderCo>Textures>cubeXp / cubeXn / cubeYp / cubeYn / cubeZp / cubeZn

3. Copy and and paste them into StockVisualEnhancements>Textures

Now put THIS cfg inside of StockVisualEnhancements>Textures

Run KSP and profit.

This does not restore Laythes default scatterer setting. I haven't tested out a way to do that yet, and its too late tonight to do it.

Edited by Galileo

heads up to any of Pood's OPM texture pack users, the directory change to the latest SVE will cause EVE to not load any clouds. I've notified Poodmund about the issue for him to fix in the next release but in the meantime just go into the clouds.cfg file for PoodsOPMVO and change all the StockVisualEnhancements/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/ paths to StockVisualEnhancements/Textures/

ALSO Pood's MM patch is looking for a cirrusDetail texture that is no longer included in SVE. Hey Galileo why'd the Kerbin cirrus clouds get removed anyway? Artistic preference?

Edited by Drew Kerman

13 minutes ago, Torih said:

Guessing something needs to be changed on the ckan side? Neither 1.2 or 1.2.1 have popped up yet, 

I just uploaded 1.2.1 7 hours ago so give it some time and 1.2 was less than 24 hours before that. I don't deal with CKAN because I haven't taken the time to figure it out. The format of SVE has completely changed and CKAN will need to account for that, so the time it takes for it to be updated on CKAN is up to whoever wants to do the work to get it there

4 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

I was going to ask about the sunflare too — was thinking it must be a bug of some sort.  Is it meant to be that big?

Yes because the stock sun is that big. Remove scatterer and see for yourself. :)

Edited by Galileo

1 minute ago, Jikahn said:

Is there any way to turn the sun fog off in the configs? I'm not sure I like it.

Not currently, but you can always replace the sunflare

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

Yes because the stock sun is that big. 

I took another look at the stock sunflare (which I hadn't seen in awhile, since I normally use SVE), and it's much less prominent than the new SVE one.  One big difference is that the stock sunflare draws behind other objects; the SVE one draws "in front", which is more realistic, but it makes things look washed-out.

I'm not a fan of the new SVE flare, but I think the problem is really the opacity, not the size — it'd look pretty good if it wasn't so overpowering.  Especially in vacuum where there's no atmospheric scattering, objects that are quite a few degrees away from the sun shouldn't be "covered up" by its light.

rhooSE5.jpg

vs. (stock):

pbQQJpk.jpg

Edited by Wyzard

43 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

I took another look at the stock sunflare (which I hadn't seen in awhile, since I normally use SVE), and it's much less prominent than the new SVE one.  One big difference is that the stock sunflare draws behind other objects; the SVE one draws "in front", which is more realistic, but it makes things look washed-out.

I'm not a fan of the new SVE flare, but I think the problem is really the opacity, not the size — it'd look pretty good if it wasn't so overpowering.  Especially in vacuum where there's no atmospheric scattering, objects that are quite a few degrees away from the sun shouldn't be "covered up" by its light.

rhooSE5.jpg

vs (stock).

pbQQJpk.jpg

What you are saying would make sense if we were talking about real life, in space, without a camera lense. If you are in space in real life, there isn't a sun flare at all. You wouldn't have any glare ghosts and there wouldn't be a "fog". Stock does a decent job of what it would look like (minus the fact that its super yellow). The scatterer sunflare is how the sun would look from behind a lense. 

Here is a photo from NASA for reference. iss013e78960.jpg

Because of the lense, there is a sun flare and there is a large "foggy" area that would indeed "cover things up with light". This isn't due to atmospheric scattering. It's due to the lense of the camera. If anything, I toned it down. It wouldn't be so bad if the sun in KSP wasnt so unrealistically close. If you want realism, remove the flares. If you just don't like this flare, there are plenty floating around the forum. Feel free to replace it :)

Edited by Galileo

If anyone wants the 1.1.6 sunflare back you can DL this edit which simply overwrites the new flare images with the old ones and changes two values in the .cfg file to match the entries from 1.1.6.

• Replaced .pngs in StockVisualEnhancements/SVE_Scatterer_Sunflares/Sun with the 1.1.6 .pngs
  • In StockVisualEnhancements/SVE_Settings.cfg, replaced entries "flareSettings" and "spikesSettings" entries with the 1.1.6 entries. All the other entries in that section were the same.

Edit: Updated for 1.2.1

SVE_OldFlares_for_1.2.1.zip: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz8b-qQdcJUJRGdpS0tYVmxBN0k

Edited by Jikahn
Config changed with 1.2.1 update

14 hours ago, Virtualgenius said:

I hate to be the dumb guy but which pack am I supposed to pick in the third download link its a bit confusing, and is there anyway this can be made into a single download with its dependencies

Same here, which EVE to download, the Configs release or the EVE release

Anyone know ?

3 minutes ago, PiezPiedPy said:

Same here, which EVE to download, the Configs release or the EVE release

Anyone know ?

Not the configs

14 hours ago, Virtualgenius said:

I hate to be the dumb guy but which pack am I supposed to pick in the third download link its a bit confusing, and is there anyway this can be made into a single download with its dependencies

No not anymore. 1.1.6 all in one is still up for download though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.