[KSP 1.6.1] Stock Visual Enhancements [v1.4.1] [20 March 2019]

Galileo

5 minutes ago, Tekener said:

Oh, of course that's possible :wink: I just said cloud textures can't glow or be applied vertically, with volumetric clouds they just get a bit of "depth" and might appear a bit vertically as you admitted :) 

Well I'm not using clouds for the volumetrics and that's the issue.  I am trying to create a texture that looks like an aurora.  It not easy.  And the light from clouds isn't possible like you stated. All we can do is wait for rbray89 to fix it but I think he is gone again.  He hasn't been on in over a month :/

11 minutes ago, Jack Wolfe said:

DECQ's Mir and Soyuz mods, with a few bits and bobs from AIES (antennae).

Cool cool.  I am hoping after the next update that I will be able to actually play for a little while. I know that the mod will never be perfect but i go crazy when people point out things I obviously looked over lol so my work never ends.  Viscous cycle. I'm the king of wishful thinking :) I want to play so badly lol

6 minutes ago, Berlin said:

Well I'm not using clouds for the volumetrics and that's the issue.  I am trying to create a texture that looks like an aurora.  It not easy.  And the light from clouds isn't possible like you stated. All we can do is wait for rbray89 to fix it but I think he is gone again.  He hasn't been on in over a month :/

Cool cool.  I am hoping after the next update that I will be able to actually play for a little while. I know that the mod will never be perfect but i go crazy when people point out things I obviously looked over lol so my work never ends.  Viscous cycle. I'm the king of wishful thinking :) I want to play so badly lol

Well, I deeply appreciate the visual treats you've provided us with. It's reignited my love for this game and for spaceflight in general. I'll post some of the Mercury window shots I've taken soon.

1 minute ago, Jack Wolfe said:

Well, I deeply appreciate the visual treats you've provided us with. It's reignited my love for this game and for spaceflight in general. I'll post some of the Mercury window shots I've taken soon.

Thanks!  I'll live vicariously through you and your screenshots!  

46 minutes ago, Berlin said:

So if you're not using clouds for the volumetrics, could you at least say that what you're using to create the volumetrics is the same way you would create volumetric clouds? If that is so, then couldn't you try and repurpose the shadow config that is given to all volumetric clouds for the light? EVE does have a specific cloud shadow config, you could try editing it to make the shadows not so defined in their shape relative to the cloud, but rather blur the line between the shadow, and the part of the ground without the shadow. Then, as I said earlier, just change the color of the cloud's shadow that is casted on the ground to the color of the aurora. I'm going to make the assumption based of your amazing skills working with these mods already that it shouldn't be that hard to create a line in the shadow config that you would repurpose telling the shadow, or at this point surface glow, to flip 180 degrees and point towards space for a glow on the top side of the aurora. All of this I'm explaining seems like it could work, but the first thing you'd have to do to make any of what I just explained work is to delete anything that relates the position of the glow/shadow to the position of the sun, like the cloud shadows are. See, I'm not trying to say that the clouds could emit light, I'm saying that you can try and repurpose what you already have there, in this case, the cloud shadows. Astronomer's Visual Pack Edge of Oblivion added a feature that made the clouds only on the dark side of Laythe bioluminescent. Maybe you could take a look at that and see if we can learn anything from it. 

It seems I'm a wishful thinker as well, but this honestly seems like it could work the way I explained it. I'm just trying to help.

Edited by HereComesTheBoom

30 minutes ago, HereComesTheBoom said:

If that is so, then couldn't you try and repurpose the shadow config that is given to all volumetric clouds for the light?

As explained before the shadows are just meant to take away light that is already there - you can't have the aurora light up or shine by using shadows that only make the ground darker. And at night the shadows are  "gone" anyway. :(

18 minutes ago, Tekener said:

As explained before the shadows are just meant to take away light that is already there - you can't have the aurora light up or shine by using shadows that only make the ground darker. And at night the shadows are  "gone" anyway. :(

Ah now I see, I don't have the programs to open the config files to see what they actually do. I assumed based on Rbray's video from his testing of cloud shadows that the shadows are projected from the cloud and color the ground a darker shade relative to the shape of the cloud itself. If that were true then the glow from the aurora's could have worked. Then again, Berlin has already said that he has the aurora's glowing from below, on the surface and during low level flights. If I may ask Berlin, how did you get the aurora's to glow?

1 minute ago, HereComesTheBoom said:

Ah now I see, I don't have the programs to open the config files to see what they actually do. I assumed based on Rbray's video from his testing of cloud shadows that the shadows are projected from the cloud and color the ground a darker shade relative to the shape of the cloud itself. If that were true then the glow from the aurora's could have worked. Then again, Berlin has already said that he has the aurora's glowing from below, on the surface and during low level flights. If I may ask Berlin, how did you get the aurora's to glow?

You can open the config with any texteditor, notepad, even word, as they are pure text files :)

And Berlin surly did not got the aurora/shadow/clouds to "glow", "shine" or "emit light" as this is impossible. All that can be done might be to try having a green shadow on the ground texture of Kerbin, but that would be darker than the actual aurora texture and disappear at night, while what really makes an aurora is that it would be visible and glowing especially at night - but this can't be done.

8 hours ago, Berlin said:

I have been trying this for the last week but I'm still trying to create a texture that looks believable, if that makes sense?  I have only been able get the illumination to show in low flights and on the surface.  I really wish I could make it show on the dark side from high orbit.   Btw what mods use clouds that emit shadows?  EVE has cloud shadows is that what you are referring to? If you mean something else,  let me know!   Maybe I can look at how they do it and adapt it to this.  

1 hour ago, Tekener said:

Oh, of course that's possible :wink: I just said cloud textures can't glow or be applied vertically, with volumetric clouds they just get a bit of "depth" and might appear a bit vertically as you admitted :) 

I'll refer you to Berlin about the illumination comment, because he clearly said he was able to get illumination on low level flights and on the surface. To Berlin, my question still stands about how you were able to get the illumination.

@Berlin a sugestion try to use diferite color on each cloud layer special that who bring volume for make them less grayish for example

Cki8UmR.png

you will find value below in spoiler, what i change to your pack

Spoiler

Kerbin-MainClouds
_Color: 160,180,250,235

Kerbin-CirrusClouds
_Color: 100,100,250,215

Kerbin-MainCloudsVolume

_Color: 160,180,250,250
LayerVolume
size: 2600,2

Kerbin-MainClouds i think it have to big size aka 4000 it will make them to have big volumetry :wink: 2600 - 2800 i think it will fith better

cheers

Edited by Blacks

so, for everyone having the landing gear/ tree artifacting, just know that this is something that happens in an all stock game too. landing gear doesn't have the artifacting but the trees do. I think its caused by the way the trees cast shadows... boo. but at least I know its not caused by this mod. no more trying to fix things here.. I'm exhausted

15 hours ago, Tekener said:

You can open the config with any texteditor, notepad, even word, as they are pure text files :)

And Berlin surly did not got the aurora/shadow/clouds to "glow", "shine" or "emit light" as this is impossible. All that can be done might be to try having a green shadow on the ground texture of Kerbin, but that would be darker than the actual aurora texture and disappear at night, while what really makes an aurora is that it would be visible and glowing especially at night - but this can't be done.

15 hours ago, HereComesTheBoom said:

I'll refer you to Berlin about the illumination comment, because he clearly said he was able to get illumination on low level flights and on the surface. To Berlin, my question still stands about how you were able to get the illumination.

l9kCTSV.png

this is the easiest way to show SOME illumination. I'm still working on it and it has become very difficult, almost to the point of abandonment until rbray can fix it.

this is the closest I have been to getting illumination in orbit.

Edited by Berlin

11 hours ago, Berlin said:

no more trying to fix things here.. I'm exhausted

Hey man, don't burn yourself out. Relax for a bit. Play some KSP. Try to enjoy your own mod instead of worrying about it. :) I know it's hard...

45 minutes ago, TGSAP said:

Hey man, don't burn yourself out. Relax for a bit. Play some KSP. Try to enjoy your own mod instead of worrying about it. :) I know it's hard...

Hear, hear! Please, @Berlin, take a break. Heaven knows you've earned it.

Random thought: EVE adds in glowing light "city" textures on the night side... would it be possible to use the same techniques to create a night-side version of the auroras already seen on the day side? If the two textures were identical, just with the differing application, than the overlap at the terminators should align correctly and present the appearance of a single entity, yes? Wouldn't give us a truly illuminating aurora, but it may give us the next best thing.

1 hour ago, SpaceCube2000 said:

You should add thunder storms like in Astronomers Visual Pack. 

I have already made lightning and I plan to include it next update :) patience is key here as I am trying to balance college,  family life (wife and a 3 yr old)  and ksp it tough but luckily I have an awesome wife that let's me ksp lol

22 minutes ago, Berlin said:

I have already made lightning and I plan to include it next update :) patience is key here as I am trying to balance college,  family life (wife and a 3 yr old)  and ksp it tough but luckily I have an awesome wife that let's me ksp lol

That's about three full plates, plus some extra, by my reckoning. Bless your wife for her indulgence. Mine lets me build rockets and write books, so I know where you're coming from. Make changes when and how life allows. As it stands, your work has made me fall in love with KSP all over again. Mercury and Gemini missions are wondrous spectacles, where before they were boring. Thank you for sharing your talents with us.

Edited by Jack Wolfe

10 hours ago, Berlin said:

l9kCTSV.png

this is the easiest way to show SOME illumination. I'm still working on it and it has become very difficult, almost to the point of abandonment until rbray can fix it.

this is the closest I have been to getting illumination in orbit.

That's the exact same way Astronomer was able to create bioluminescent clouds on the dark side of Laythe. It never emitted light though, the cloud textures were just bluish on the night side. What would Rbray have to fix for you to be able to create a glow that would shine up as well as down for the volumetric auroras? You also said you'd post some videos of the testing of the volumetric auroras, how are those coming along?

Edited by HereComesTheBoom

40 minutes ago, HereComesTheBoom said:

That's the exact same way Astronomer was able to create bioluminescent clouds on the dark side of Laythe. It never emitted light though, the cloud textures were just bluish on the night side. What would Rbray have to fix for you to be able to create a glow that would shine up as well as down for the volumetric auroras? You also said you'd post some videos of the testing of the volumetric auroras, how are those coming along?

I really wish I could answer that but I have no idea what he would have to adjust.  I'm not the best at coding and what he has put together is a lot more complex than I expected.  I can work on the videos this week hopefully. 

45 minutes ago, Berlin said:

I really wish I could answer that but I have no idea what he would have to adjust.  I'm not the best at coding and what he has put together is a lot more complex than I expected.  I can work on the videos this week hopefully. 

Sounds good! Cant wait!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.