[KSP 1.6.1] Stock Visual Enhancements [v1.4.1] [20 March 2019]

Galileo

1 minute ago, RoboRay said:

Ok, I'm confused (and not at home to play with it in-game)... why would the inclination need to be variable over time?  Laythe and Vall have zero inclination and Tylo's approaches zero.  If the rings are set to 0, why should they get out of alignment?

I'm not home either and have never actually checked to see if they are inclined or not.  I assumed by the way you guys were talking that they were.. The reason why I inclined the rings was purely aesthetic.  Have the inclination at 0 doesn't look great 

Oh, I see what you mean now...  If the moon-plane was non-equatorial, you'd have to be able to specify a matching Longitude of the Ascending Node for the ring system.

Fortunately, the three large moons are all equatorial, so if the ring plane is set to match their plane it all stays lined up.

And I understand the aesthetic reasoning for the tilt you chose...  if the ring plane aligns with the plane that the moons occupy (as occurs in our real solar system), the rings are not very visible from the ground since the rings are turned edge-on to you.

However, to me, getting the visuals as close to "right" as possible is more important, so I changed it.  I haven't figured out exactly where I'm going to leave the tilt, but a couple of degrees inclination should give an illusion of thickness (except when the moon you are on is near the crossing nodes).

Edited by RoboRay

11 minutes ago, RoboRay said:

Oh, I see what you mean now...  If the moon-plane was non-equatorial, you'd have to be able to specify a matching Longitude of the Ascending Node for the ring system.

Fortunately, the three large moons are all equatorial, so if the ring plane is set to match their plane it all stays lined up.

And I understand the aesthetic reasoning for the tilt you chose...  if the ring plane aligns with the plane that the moons occupy (as occurs in our real solar system), the rings are not very visible from the ground since the rings are turned edge-on to you.

However, to me, getting the visuals as close to "right" as possible is more important, so I changed it.  I haven't figured out exactly where I'm going to leave the tilt, but a couple of degrees inclination should give an illusion of thickness (except when the moon you are on is near the crossing nodes).

Maybe a tilt of 1 or 2 would look good

That's what I was just thinking. At a minimum, the inclination needs to be high enough that the ring plane extends beyond the poles of the moons so they are not just a thin line when you're near a pole.

Edited by RoboRay

8 hours ago, Galileo said:

No, it add, snow fall on the poles of Kerbin

and you couldn't find a video or a picture of geysers? i found a ton. here is a pic

pluto3sd.jpg

Hardy har har. I meant that I have found no videos showing the Geysers in the mod, nor the snowfall either.

4 hours ago, RYU AZUKU99 said:

Hardy har har. I meant that I have found no videos showing the Geysers in the mod, nor the snowfall either.

I just recently added those to this version so people probably haven't taken videos yet 

4 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Hi @Galileo

I have an issue.. When asceding as soon as I pass around 130k Meters altitude the clouds and land disappear and the planet is just a blue ball.. I am using the all in one version.

0D1B7D703858E808893FB459F3224B3B7D23F2F7

I have no idea why that would happen.  I don't get that.  It looks like scatterer winged out

Edited by Galileo

3 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Hi @Galileo

I have an issue.. When asceding as soon as I pass around 130k Meters altitude the clouds and land disappear and the planet is just a blue ball.. I am using the all in one version.

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

I have no idea why that would happen.  I don't get that.  It looks like scatterer winged out

I have the same problem. Some super quick testing (as I'm short on time ATM) says this happens when the "Eclipses" option is disabled in the Scatterer config menu. The other options there don't seem to cause this issue.

5 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Hi @Galileo

1 hour ago, Cala said:

I have the same problem. Some super quick testing (as I'm short on time ATM) says this happens when the "Eclipses" option is disabled in the Scatterer config menu. The other options there don't seem to cause this issue.

It is indeed caused by disabling the eclipses but it's not a bug. . .  I don't have time to do an update until Sunday or so but I do know what's causing it.  If you open the scatterer GUI and set the extinctiontint to 1.2 on each atmosphere layer,  it should fix it.  I'll add the fix this weekend.  Again,  this only happens when you disable the eclipses in Scatterer's settings.  The eclipses are not very performance hungry so I don't really see a reason to disable it anyway but in case you do,  that's a way to fix it.

@blackrack don't worry your little head over this,  it was again,  a problem caused by me. . Like normal.. Lol

Edited by Galileo

5 hours ago, Galileo said:

It is indeed caused by disabling the eclipses but it's not a bug. . .  I don't have time to do an update until Sunday or so but I do know what's causing it.  If you open the scatterer GUI and set the extinctiontint to 1.2 on each atmosphere layer,  it should fix it.  I'll add the fix this weekend.  Again,  this only happens when you disable the eclipses in Scatterer's settings.  The eclipses are not very performance hungry so I don't really see a reason to disable it anyway but in case you do,  that's a way to fix it.

@blackrack don't worry your little head over this,  it was again,  a problem caused by me. . Like normal.. Lol

Yeah, I'm just a big fan of tinkering around with configs and see what I can tweak (and what I end up breaking). In any case, if it uncovered some hidden issue, then at least something good came out of it xD

That been said, what fixed it for me actually wasn't setting extinctionTint to 1.2 in the two topmost layers of the atmosphere, but setting extinctionMultiplier from 0.0 to 1.0. Changing the tint value on top of the multiplier fix makes clouds look curiously yellowish from high orbit (750k in the pic):

Spoiler

Tqkwgxk.jpg

3 hours ago, Cala said:

Yeah, I'm just a big fan of tinkering around with configs and see what I can tweak (and what I end up breaking). In any case, if it uncovered some hidden issue, then at least something good came out of it xD

That been said, what fixed it for me actually wasn't setting extinctionTint to 1.2 in the two topmost layers of the atmosphere, but setting extinctionMultiplier from 0.0 to 1.0. Changing the tint value on top of the multiplier fix makes clouds look curiously yellowish from high orbit (750k in the pic):

Reveal hidden contents

Tqkwgxk.jpg

Yeah that's what I meant.  I wasn't near my computer so I tried remembering off the top of my head.  Thanks for the help! 

This may be a lazy and/or stupid question, but what can I do to make the game crash a little less while using this? I use the HD pack and, well, don't have the heart to use a lower definition version, and I have no FPS problems that I would notice. I got used to crashing around one out of six or seven times I load a new ship/area, but today I happened to use 16 parachutes above the desert on Kerbin and...well....that descent lasted for about seven game restarts, quicksaving every 5 seconds while descending to the ground in order to reload after the crash.

I know KSP crashes for a trillion reasons, but if anyone knows what's most taxing in SVE crash-wise, or some useful tweaks relating to that, or something.....

I'm not sure if today's crashes were because of the long descent over the desert and the textures involved, or due to having two different craft each with its own parachutes descending side by side at the same time (I activated all the chutes and then undocked the craft into two parts), which as far as I'm aware would indicate a CPU thing since I assume it's about physics, not textures.

21 minutes ago, ROXunreal said:

This may be a lazy and/or stupid question, but what can I do to make the game crash a little less while using this? I use the HD pack and, well, don't have the heart to use a lower definition version, and I have no FPS problems that I would notice. I got used to crashing around one out of six or seven times I load a new ship/area, but today I happened to use 16 parachutes above the desert on Kerbin and...well....that descent lasted for about seven game restarts, quicksaving every 5 seconds while descending to the ground in order to reload after the crash.

I know KSP crashes for a trillion reasons, but if anyone knows what's most taxing in SVE crash-wise, or some useful tweaks relating to that, or something.....

I'm not sure if today's crashes were because of the long descent over the desert and the textures involved, or due to having two different craft each with its own parachutes descending side by side at the same time (I activated all the chutes and then undocked the craft into two parts), which as far as I'm aware would indicate a CPU thing since I assume it's about physics, not textures.

I don't know. .  I haven't experienced a single crash in 1.2.  

48 minutes ago, ROXunreal said:

There were a lot of crashes around 1.1.2, not anymore in 1.1.3 or 1.2.X.

I can just suggest to re-install your KSP from scratch and/or check to have all the last update of your mods.

16 hours ago, ROXunreal said:

Yeah i have not experienced any crashes either, are you using the 64 bit version of ksp?

Have you checked the debug log for NRE spam?

Ever since the 64 bit conversion ram crashes should be a thing of the past (unless you are running into the limits of your system) and that is the only kind of crash i could see SVE causing.

17 minutes ago, Wolfair corp. said:

Great mod!

Also, I'm having trouble while I installed that mod:

BkXQOfq.png

With light action group on:

K83Ti3A.png

With gears up:

J83cjNy.png

With runway lights and every stock light parts in the game:

8XLPCoZ.png

Log File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8s8v343plqfmm4/output_log.txt?dl=0

Thanks.

You have to disable shadows in the EVE GUI for every cloud layer that has shadow material enabled. I used to put out a separate cloud cfg to just for that but I kept forgetting to update it so I left it out this version 

Hi. Playing since KSP since 0.23 but never tried any visual mods. Finally I tried SVE and loving it!

Currently I didn't played too much but the first thing I experienced (after weird shadows at KSC) is the sharp (and pixelated) edges of Kerbin. Antialiasing is set to 4x and set KSP to max graphics (except AA (4x) and Light numbers (20) ).

Is possible to force AA on celestial bodies? (another objects are looking fine)

I'm having some trouble downloading it. It's very slow and eventualy fails. It's also VERY slow. Any clues?

Great job, I was waiting for 1.2 versions of this for months to start playing KSP again.

Edit:

For no reason it sped up amanzingly and instead of taking 4 hours and failling it finished in 2 minutes.

Edited by gorebello

39 minutes ago, kotysoft said:

Hi. Playing since KSP since 0.23 but never tried any visual mods. Finally I tried SVE and loving it!

Currently I didn't played too much but the first thing I experienced (after weird shadows at KSC) is the sharp (and pixelated) edges of Kerbin. Antialiasing is set to 4x and set KSP to max graphics (except AA (4x) and Light numbers (20) ).

Is possible to force AA on celestial bodies? (another objects are looking fine)

Those issues are caused by scatterer. You can disable terrain shadows in the main menu scatterer options that pops up.  As for the anti aliasing around Kerbin's edge it's a known issue with scatterer.  There is no way around it for now

Edited by Galileo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.