Cpu died... What to do? Water rocket!!!

Madscientist16180

Hello all!

As said in the title, my computer is dead... Look like an HDD failure.

What can a KSP fanatic do? Start calling his son and daughter Jeb and Valentina and enlist them to build real life water rocket of course!

I had no Idea how to proceed, but internet is full of info! I already have a rig to release my rocket that i'll test today if rain stops. I will post pictures when it is done.

I made this thread mostly to show my project to people who might be interested, but any input is more than welcome!

Anybody got expérience doing those? 

Rain look stoped right now, i'll come back latter!

1 hour ago, pincushionman said:

Remember: one-third full of water is the magic ratio.

I'll have to get my rig airthight first... lol

My tubing connection busted at 45 psi when i tested today :(

I think the humid weather made my glue dry much slower than expected, it was too soft and got literraly pushed out by the pressure.

Cpu died... What to do? Water rocket!!!

As said in the title, my computer is dead... Look like an HDD failure.

CPU died?  HDD failure? Don't want to be a total ass about it but something does not compute. Which is it, CPU or HDD?

35 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

CPU died?  HDD failure? Don't want to be a total ass about it but something does not compute. Which is it, CPU or HDD?

My bad there, i always shorten computer in "cpu". I should have known better than do do it on a forum where people know their stuffs lol.

So, my computer died, and by the look of it it is a HDD failure. Windows not loading and The actual disk giving weird noises and, at least in my opinion, seem to be running pretty hot.

Sad that we have bad weather here, it put my new project on hold, i don't have inside workshop space, gotta work in the yard. I hope to have something to show over the week-end.

On the topic of water rockets, and any other pressure vessel, the way to safety test it is to fill it almost completely with water then pump it beyond the pressure it will experience in normal use. Compressed air stores lots of energy but compressed water stores very little energy at the same pressure, so if it splits in a test with all water there'll be nothing bad, but if the bottle splits in a flight when it's mostly air it'll go Boom.

4 hours ago, Slam_Jones said:

Well, luckily, HDDs are relatively cheap, and by and far one of the easiest component to replace.  Just buy a new one :P  The rest of the PC is probably fine.

The easiest to replace if you made your backups. Which everyone always does, of course, so it should not be an issue :P

1 hour ago, cantab said:

On the topic of water rockets, and any other pressure vessel, the way to safety test it is to fill it almost completely with water then pump it beyond the pressure it will experience in normal use. Compressed air stores lots of energy but compressed water stores very little energy at the same pressure, so if it splits in a test with all water there'll be nothing bad, but if the bottle splits in a flight when it's mostly air it'll go Boom.

When testing things like tires, yes. Water rockets? I do not think anyone has been seriously hurt by one of those without being seriously stupid, unless it is because it fell on someone's head of course.

Edited by Camacha

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.