Pokemon Go

Rainbowtrout

It's not out here in the UK on iOS yet. I've seen everyone posting about it all over the internet and I am incredibly jealous. Definitely downloading it as soon as it comes out - I don't care if I look weird pointing my phone everywhere trying to catch them all. *music plays*

If you're a lucky non-Brit, discuss what you've done so far, and if you're unlucky enough to be stuck in the land of rain and wind, we can suffer together.

33 minutes ago, Rainbowtrout said:

It's not out here in the UK on iOS yet. I've seen everyone posting about it all over the internet and I am incredibly jealous. Definitely downloading it as soon as it comes out - I don't care if I look weird pointing my phone everywhere trying to catch them all. *music plays*

If you're a lucky non-Brit, discuss what you've done so far, and if you're unlucky enough to be stuck in the land of rain and wind, we can suffer together.

Actually, you cna download it form the UK. look it up ;P

I loaded it, saw a pokemon, tapped the ball 5 times before I realized you had to swipe it forward, swiped it forward 3 times until it finally hit, and then the game crashed.

I reloaded it and saw I still had the pokemon so at least that much worked, but haven't done anything else.

I was looking forward to this game, but now that it's out I'm finding I have no real desire to play. Maybe this weekend I'll give it another try when I have more spare time.

On android you can simply download the .apk, no matter where you live. Maybe you could make apple belive you are in another country with a vpn?

Anyway, i wont play it due to privacy reasons. But its funny that a friend of mine complained about having to walk 10km to hatch a pokemon. He didnt have a problem walking for ages on his Gameboy xD

I got it, I spent 2 hours walking around my neighborhood like a lunatic sweating profusely. I managed to make it to level 6 though so I suppose I have made some progress. 

Yes! As I was typing this I just caught the last Pokemon I needed to evolve a Kakuna.

Its times like these that I feel old.  Pokemon came out when I was a junior in highschool, and then it was a game "for kids".  Its not something I've ever been interested in, and seeing adults (who were kids back then) into it makes a fella feel ancient.  

Whats essential for some, is nothing to others.  My granmother had no idea who Luke Skywalker is.

Same goes for Harry Potter, thats like a kids book to me.  I was in college when that came out.  /offmylawn

So far it's been pretty awesome (US here).  I mean, sure the servers have been down about 50% of the time, but when I do get it on it's pretty fun.

I think one of the reasons it's been down so much is because people are hacking the game so they can play it in areas where it's not released yet.  You're only hurting the game by doing that *hint hint*

But so far I've caught a bunch of Pidgeys (enough to evolve the strongest of the lot to a Pidgeotto), a few Rattatas, and a Mankey, a Rhyhorn, a Pinsir (currently my best Poekmon), an Ekans, an Eevee, a Cubone, and a few other randoms.  Seen a Snorlax and Pikachu that I was unable to track down.  Just reached level 5 and chose Yellow Team.  Haven't done any battles yet, but those should be interesting when I do.

Luckily, my office is located directly between/on two PokeStops, so I can leave the app on all day and gather PokeBalls every 5 minutes or so.  You start with 50... I'm up to 173 now :D

So far: 7 / 10 simply due to server instability, which is mainly caused by this:

12 hours ago, Elthy said:

On android you can simply download the .apk, no matter where you live. Maybe you could make apple belive you are in another country with a vpn?

-snip-

Edited by Slam_Jones

Its not realy hacking to download it somewhere else. Niantic is a google company and should have known its not possible to restrict the app to a few regions in a globalized world...

On 7/8/2016 at 2:22 PM, Elthy said:

Its not realy hacking to download it somewhere else. Niantic is a google company and should have known its not possible to restrict the app to a few regions in a globalized world...

Just saying, they're not releasing it one or two countries at a time for fun.

And yes, technically it's not hacking, but it is still causing much MUCH more load to their servers than anticipated/able to handle, thus the very intermittent server stability.  Regardless, playing it in other places that are not yet officially authorized is kinda screwing up everything they're trying to do.

But, y'know, if you're doing this, then you're just one person, right?  What difference does it make?  *As the servers continue to crash constantly 3 days later*

Edited by Slam_Jones
Unnecessary badgering removed

I plan on installing it, my mother installed it but I think it crashed.

7 minutes ago, Elthy said:

Niantic is a google company

Was a Google company, Niantic left Google last year.

Edited by CAKE99

Im not even playing it, but i can understand everyone doing whatever it takes to break regiolocks. They are simply an outdated concept not fitted for the internet...

46 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Welp, time to liquid y'all off :)

I don't really care about pokemon.

Reveal hidden contents

Prepares for retaliation.

Okay. 

Everyone has preferences, and it would be unreasonable to expect everyone single person to enjoy Pokemon.

(Similar to how I massively dislike Game of Thrones)

Edited by Slam_Jones

I decline to play "free to play" games. Maybe there are a few good ones, maybe Pokemon Go is decent, but they are overshadowed by the many money-grubbing pay-to-win types that have utterly corrupted mobile gaming and now threaten PC and even console. I feel the only way I can take a stand is a complete boycott of the business model where-ever it appears.

3 hours ago, cantab said:

I decline to play "free to play" games. Maybe there are a few good ones, maybe Pokemon Go is decent, but they are overshadowed by the many money-grubbing pay-to-win types that have utterly corrupted mobile gaming and now threaten PC and even console. I feel the only way I can take a stand is a complete boycott of the business model where-ever it appears

Or play the game as much as you possibly can without paying a cent, and make the company lose more money by hosting you 

18 hours ago, klesh said:

Its times like these that I feel old.  Pokemon came out when I was a junior in highschool, and then it was a game "for kids".  Its not something I've ever been interested in, and seeing adults (who were kids back then) into it makes a fella feel ancient.  

Whats essential for some, is nothing to others.  My granmother had no idea who Luke Skywalker is.

Same goes for Harry Potter, thats like a kids book to me.  I was in college when that came out.  /offmylawn

Pokemon came out in, what? '96? My son would've been in elementary school by that time. /lawn

I see a lot of my friends (and my son's friends) posting about this and they seem to be having a good time with it :D

-Slashy

I've come to hate the game with a bit of a passion over the past few days.

Some friends of mine live on what used to be a nice quiet cul-de-sac.  For the last several days, they've had a massive increase in traffic, cars driving down, circling, and parking in the middle of their street.  Strange people showing up, sitting on the sidewalk for a while, and leaving.  It's been quite disturbing, since there are four of our families with kids that hang out at that house on a regular basis.  I do appreciate the one person that bothered to stop and offer an explanation, however.

Go put your godsdamned "gym" somewhere else.

Edited by razark

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.