Pokemon Go

Rainbowtrout

1 hour ago, cantab said:

You have to keep your screen on for ages for it to work right? Have Niantic not heard the phrase 'battery life'?

They sure didn't for Ingress, don't know if they will for pokemon.

Most Ingress players around here have Anker chargers. Some have more than one.

10 hours ago, Xacktar said:

Wow.

So much hate in this thread.

I was hoping to swing by, share some gaming experiences... but now I'm not sure I want to.

I guess its bad that I've walked 6 miles today, got to see butterflies, dragonflies, wild turkeys, turtles and some cool fungus.

Then learned about a new park nearby that I hadn't known about last week.

But uh, you keep doing... what you do.

What a shame, that it took a game on a phone to get someone out of the house to see these things... let alone walk 6 miles. :mellow:

16 hours ago, Xacktar said:

Wow.

So much hate in this thread.

I was hoping to swing by, share some gaming experiences... but now I'm not sure I want to.

I guess its bad that I've walked 6 miles today, got to see butterflies, dragonflies, wild turkeys, turtles and some cool fungus.

Then learned about a new park nearby that I hadn't known about last week.

But uh, you keep doing... what you do.

"How dare you have fun!  STOP ENJOYING YOURSELVES!"
- Lots of people, apparently.

I have a theory that people like to talk down on something to make themselves feel better.  Usually people with little/nothing going in their lives.  Not hard to spot em in this thread, at the very least.  Usually the people with curt, one sentence replies with poor grammar.

Relevant:

dont-be-a-hater-be-a-trainer-19-photos-6

Edited by Slam_Jones

7 hours ago, LordFerret said:

What a shame, that it took a game on a phone to get someone out of the house to see these things... let alone walk 6 miles. :mellow:

It's comments like this that discourage people from bettering themselves.

Try to do something good for yourself and have fun at the same time = get put down by other people.

Edited by Xacktar

12 minutes ago, Xacktar said:

I agree with it in a sense.

It is kind of a shame that it takes a game to get people out and "see butterflies, dragonflies, wild turkeys, turtles and some cool fungus", rather than just the joy of going outside and seeing those things in themselves.  I think it would be better to see a widespread attitude of "I went on a walk to see nature" rather than "I went to play a game, and there was some nature there."

But maybe it will inspire people to realize everything that is out there, and get some more people walking about without needing an excuse.  That can't be a bad thing.

I've caught ~50 pokemon (nothing interesting except the infinite eevees) and i have an idea where mew and suicune will spawn ( Guyana, south america and great lakes respectively) but i don't have access to pokestops or gyms so i won't be able to play for much longer :(

19 hours ago, Xacktar said:

I have news for you, the only thing stopping people from bettering themselves is themselves. The key to self-improvement is self motivation, perseverance and dedication to ones self. If you're true to yourself and have and practice those things, then nothing I say will matter nor stop you from your goal.

4 hours ago, LordFerret said:

I have news for you, the only thing stopping people from bettering themselves is themselves. The key to self-improvement is self motivation, perseverance and dedication to ones self. If you're true to yourself and have and practice those things, then nothing I say will matter nor stop you from your goal.

So circumstance, geographical location, available time, education, physical and mental health, and societal norms have no effect on it either?

Well then.

I busted my knee up in high school. It locks up and feels like the tendon is tearing out my kneecap from inside my body if I run for even a small amount of time. It's not just motivation I need to overcome that.

I don't talk about it. I don't complain about it. It happened and I deal with it, 'self-improvement' and 'dedication' aren't going to fix my knee.

Six miles is a lot for me. It's risking a lot of pain and a lot of wondering if today is going to be the day when it gives out and I have to face major surgery.

So please stop taking a massive crap on people who are using any tool they can to get a few more bits out of what life has dealt them.

I don't want to make you mad, I want to make you understand that words like that DO. NOT. HELP. They make you look bad. They make you seem like a bully. You can't always tell what other people are dealing with. 

Trying to tell them what is wrong with their life without taking the time to understand it is rude at best.

Downright infuriating at worst.

Edited by Xacktar

47 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Every T&C strips users of legal rights. It's what T&Cs are written to do. That's like saying "This novel tells a story" or "Caution: may contain nuts" on a bag of peanuts.

If you're worried about privacy, don't worry about Pokemon Go on your phone. WORRY THAT YOU'RE CARRYING THE PHONE.

34 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Every T&C strips users of legal rights. It's what T&Cs are written to do. That's like saying "This novel tells a story" or "Caution: may contain nuts" on a bag of peanuts.

If you're worried about privacy, don't worry about Pokemon Go on your phone. WORRY THAT YOU'RE CARRYING THE PHONE.

This I mentioned because of the fact so many are (already) looking to lawsuits because of injuries sustained while playing the game. It's actually become newsworthy in the mainstream media lately.

9 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

This I mentioned because of the fact so many are (already) looking to lawsuits because of injuries sustained while playing the game. It's actually become newsworthy in the mainstream media lately.

And it's also a GREAT reason to have that T&C. If every fun thing in the world could be stopped because idiots hurt themselves doing it we'd not be allowed to leave our houses.

Does anybody know that PoodleCorp took down Pokemon Go for 4 HOURS yesterday? In case you don't know...

Spoiler

PoodleCorp is a group of illegal hackers who made their debut in mid-June of this year. They have taken down dozens of YouTubers big and small, as well as DDoS-ing gaming servers. They've also seemed to have stirred up some issues with T-Mobile.

Speaking of the Poodles, they said that they have bigger plans for Pokemon Go coming soon. If it means that people will stop getting killed and receiving Darwin Awards because of it, then it is good! Pokemon Go's death count already surpassed 5,000 on July 7th. I don't want to know what that number is now.

The application still isn't released from where I am.

While I'm not a die-hard Pokemon fan, it's kinda painful seeing it be all the rage in other countries, while the only solution here is an APK on the Android.

12 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Does anybody know that PoodleCorp took down Pokemon Go for 4 HOURS yesterday? In case you don't know...

Reveal hidden contents

PoodleCorp is a group of illegal hackers who made their debut in mid-June of this year. They have taken down dozens of YouTubers big and small, as well as DDoS-ing gaming servers. They've also seemed to have stirred up some issues with T-Mobile.

Speaking of the Poodles, they said that they have bigger plans for Pokemon Go coming soon. If it means that people will stop getting killed and receiving Darwin Awards because of it, then it is good! Pokemon Go's death count already surpassed 5,000 on July 7th. I don't want to know what that number is now.

"Hackers". Also please give us a source for those 5,000 dead people.

8 hours ago, LordFerret said:

I'm not seeing any 'official' death tolls yet. But I'm sure they'll follow shortly. There's no question or doubt however, that the game is the cause of several reported deaths, injuries and arrests.

An interesting article: Pokémon Go might kill you. Here's how.

My question is - and I'm sure it's one that can't be answered - how many of these people who Pokemon Go thoughtlessly murdered would have killed themselves by texting while driving, playing Ingress while walking into a street, or stepping onto a subway line while browsing the Internet on their phones?

People die doing dumb things all the time. I suspect that the number of total deaths stays relatively static and the new stuff just attracts more than its fair share until it becomes not the new thing anymore. Removing that new thing won't save any lives, just hide the deaths from view.

Edited by 5thHorseman

53 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

My question is - and I'm sure it's one that can't be answered - how many of these people who Pokemon Go thoughtlessly murdered would have killed themselves by texting while driving, playing Ingress while walking into a street, or stepping onto a subway line while browsing the Internet on their phones?

I would say probably not so many. Pokemon Go is encouraging its players to do things they otherwise would not normally do, including walking around while staring at your phone, and it has a massive popularity far beyond Ingress or anything else similar. The world is not divided into total brainiacs and total idiots.

I also know that the game could have been designed to encouraging less staring at the screen. And less draining the battery - which actually, I see as a safety issue too. To go from fully charged to flat as a pancake in two hours while running an app that's basically a glorified satnav is pretty pants and will probably catch people out.

13 hours ago, cantab said:

I also know that the game could have been designed to encouraging less staring at the screen.

You could say the same for facebook. Or <insert local news app here>.

You do NOT need to stare at your screen while playing the game. I play it on my way to work every morning, and you know what? I function just fine. Look at the map for maybe 10 seconds, every two minutes, just to check where the nearest Pokestop is/whether I'm in range of it (although TBH I don't even look at it that much now, because I know where most of the stops are).

If my phone buzzes because something has appeared, I step to one side, catch it, keep going. I just give myself an extra 10 minutes in the morning to get to work.

I'm not gonna disagree with the point that there are people who are being stupid about it, but you know what, alot of people are stupid. Don't blame the game, like most things it's the people using it who are the problem.

It's really quite simple, if you wouldn't do it when not playing the game, don't do it while you are.

Edited by severedsolo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.