K.S.S Freedom CV-44. (a hangar deck/elevator included).

Today i have something a bit special for you. Something that i believe is the first of its kind.

It's not just a floating metal plate with a tower and some engines. This time it has a hangar deck and an aircraft elevator.

Designing the carrier:

The design of the carrier is a bit of a fusion of the IJN Zuiho and the U.S.S Independence CVL-22.

Instead of building a custom hull for this one, i took the battleship hull and made the carrier around it. Due to this, it only took me 3-4 hours to build the carrier and another 2-3 hours to test it.

It proved to be a sound choice. I was able to keep the part count well under a 1000, while still being able to create a big enough carrier that can actually support aircrafts.

And because the carrier isn't as massive as the Killyoustrious, it's very, very solid. So no tweaking was needed. The only thing that needed tweaking, was the electrical system. ( i ran out of electric charge during the night time test).

But that's where the problem lies, while it can store aircrafts, they have to be small.

bTz7COl.png

Yea, even the Gull is too big to really fit. I would need foldable wings to make it fit, and even then, there is the risk of the propeller hitting the roof and exploding.

But, there is one that can fit.

AxvL9Hp.png

Sorry for the darkness, the lights ran out due to electricity running out. That issue was fixed later on with some few batteries and RTG's.

The SeaRaider is currently the biggest that can fit in the hangar. It's rudder is currently about a millimeter away from touching the roof. But there is a little more room in terms of width.

It's a damn good thing that i made the elevator bigger than what it was in my original plans (actually, there was no plans, i just built it and hoped it would work).

Lebkdmk.png

So yea, there is a lot to be proud about in this one, but, it's still not perfect. The hangar needs to be taller and wider to really work, and the deck could be longer to make landings a bit more care free.

But still, im very happy about how it turned out in the end. My first taughts when starting this project where: It's propably just going to explode into tiny bits as soon as the physics kick in. That's because i had no idea that how well the hangar walls and landing-gears would be able to support the weight of the flight-deck.

Anyway, lets get on with the:

Specs and picks:

Top speed: 30 m/s.

Length: 150m.

Width: 33m.

Height: 26.8m.

Mass: 2.487 tons.

Parts: 754.

This one has a little over 70000 units of fuel loaded.

And there you have it, a new type of carrier. I hope you enjoy it :).

Mods: BD-armory and Infernal Robotics.

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7yv4n7oe4cuvpd/K_S_S Freedom.craft?dl=0

Links to other posts:

Edited by kapteenipirk
an image was missing.

3 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Cool! How does the elevator work?

It has four gantry rails, one on each corner. i just had to reverse the ones on the other side. And i had to strut all the four "pieces" of the elevator together.

just a simple five minute job.

38 minutes ago, kapteenipirk said:

It has four gantry rails, one on each corner. i just had to reverse the ones on the other side. And i had to strut all the four "pieces" of the elevator together.

just a simple five minute job.

Ah, so it uses IR then?

1 minute ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Oh... I uh... Overlooked that...

no problems mate :). It tends to be a common problem these days.

Shows that there is a point to the whole READ THE DESCRIPTION FOR GOD SAKES, that YouTubers complain about.

But yea, i admit being quilty of the same thing :wink:.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Bro your stuff is incredible! Decent part count too!

Thanks :D. Well, when it comes to anything related to the K.N.S project i try to keep the part count at a minimum to allow me and others to have ship on ship combat.

It's also pretty important to have good framerate when landing on carriers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.