Desperate pilot looking for help

Divaglio3578

Hey guys, its me again, and this time I have a request. But first, let me tell you something about myself. I am an excellent rocket builder, and my first attempts end up completing mission goals easily and with plenty of margin for error. I can also fly rockets very well, and have completed a rendezvous nose-to-nose without the <100km targeting reticule (turned it off in the settings ;P). I have a very keen sense for thrust to weight ratios, and can easily point out a ship\'s center of gravity.

And then there\'s space planes.

I absolutely SUCK at everything to do with the vehicles. I can\'t build one worth a crap, they usually end up not taking off, and I cant fly them worth a crap as well. So my plea to the community is for a space plane .craft file or tips on how to make such a plane that follows these prerequisites:

[list type=decimal]

[li]Must take off easily[/li]

[li]Must maneuver extremely well and smoothly[/li]

[li]Must land easily, and...[/li]

[li]Must be an overall easy plane to fly[/li]

I aspire to be as good with space planes as I am with rockets, but it wont help me much if I cant fly them ;P. Thanks again community!

Sorry if you already know this, but there\'s a good discussion and some tips from HarversteR himself in The woes of building a space-plane thread, a little further down this forum page. It\'s helped me a lot.

I second Vanamonde\'s suggestion. But since you asked for a .craft file, here\'s a simple design to help you get started:

PostDe-OrbitBurn.png

FinalApproach.png

As you can see from the pics, it\'s an SSTO with enough fuel and RCS for limited orbital operations. It also has pretty good glide characteristics. Due to the nature of landing gear/runway interactions in 0.15 however, it doesn\'t take off until the drop at the end of the runway. Once in the air, though it hadle\'s pretty well. I don\'t have much trouble and I\'m not all that good at piloting with a keyboard.

Hope that works for you. In case you\'re looking for an aircraft rather than a spaceplane, I have another design that is agile but also very controllable. I\'d be happy to share that, too.

I have 2 designs, one atmospheric and one orbital.

The atmo plane is the PS-1, the easiest and most fun plane to fly I have yet made. It is very maneuverable and will only stall if you hold it in a full bank for extended periods of time.

Wz4TF.jpg

More Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/F7yb2#0

The Fun-1A is also quite easy to fly, and has significant fuel reserves. Just pull straight up until you start losing speed, then jettison the jets. You should have enough fuel to do whatever.

5CNh8.png

More Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/7BWwY#0

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.